Hidden Ranking System

Most likely they don’t want the process to be published because if they did it would help their competition when they’re designing matchmaking systems. Giving us this info is pretty much a pre-requisite for us to understand the MMR value that the system uses

However yes it should be public. Whatever the value is that is matchmaking us should be visible 100%

1 Like

Don’t care about the number itself. I care about how they are determining it. Seems to me that the patented matchmaking system they own is what they are using for this game and they don’t want the negative PR because they know it’s rigged.

1 Like

No, that’s the thing. If they patented it it would be public information and there would be no reason for them to keep it a secret where as right now they don’t have to patent it since nobody can copy it since it’s not public. Anyone who works on it can’t use it either since they will sign NDAs about it. Telling others how the matchmaking works and what variables it considers and in what way would be like leaking a secret recipe. It benefits them in no considerable way. Easing some concerned players is not a considerable benefit for them.

But in case you ever find out how it actually works, I’d like to know aswell :slight_smile:

1 Like

They literally have a patent for a matchmaking system that does exactly what many players here have claimed it does for years. You go on a win streak. Then, you suddenly find yourself in a game with the absolute worst players and you slowly lose all the SR you gained. The matchmaking system they patented does exactly that. Google it. When you go on a win streak, it finds players much worse than you because they claim it leads to “more balanced matches”, i.e. rigging the system to hold people back so they’ll continue playing. I don’t get it. I’d still play the game if the matchmaking system were honest. This dishonest and rigged system kinda just pisses me off.

1 Like

It is hidden probably to prevent abuse but it doesn’t matter because it is not doing a very good job and it can still be exploited easily.

1 Like

Your Elo Matchmaking Rating is primarily determined by the reflection of overall wins and losses in the history of that game mode. Now how much your Hidden MMR/SR goes up or down is determined by the following factors:

• Win or Lose- The strongest factor in each individual adjustment is the result of the match.
    • When you win a match that positively impacts your MMR
    • When you lose a match that negatively impacts your MMR
  • Strength of schedule - Your personal hidden MMR is compared to the average MMR of the opposing team.
    • If you have a stronger MMR rating than the opponent average and you win you will gain less MMR than average
    • If you have a stronger MMR rating than the opponent average and you lose you will lose more MMR than average
    • If you have a weaker MMR rating than the opponent average and you win you will gain more MMR than average
    • If you have a weaker MMR rating than the opponent average and you lose you will lose less MMR than average
  • Frequency of Play/New Player - If you are a new player (or new account) or if you don’t play very frequently, your MMR will be less certain and may see dramatic increases or decreases until you are playing frequently enough for the game to be certain of your current MMR rating.
    • For example, if you are a new player, you will see dramatic swings of 100 or more SR for your starting few games outside of placement matches, and will continue to have larger than normal swings until around 50 games are played relatively consistently.
    • It can take several weeks of inactivity to destabilize the certainty of an MMR rating, but will quickly recover when you start playing again.
  • Ladder Bubble/Squish - Your MMR rating will have dramatic adjustments if you are at the very top (Grandmasters) or very bottom (<500 Bronze) of the skill rating ladder.
    • If you approach the higher levels of skill rating (4200 or higher est.), you will need to win more games on average versus lose in order to maintain your current MMR rating.
    • You gain more MMR for wins if you are below 500 skill rating typically, however, this is not very trackable as your skill rating is deliberately blinded if you are below 500 SR (to deter throwing games).
  • Personal Performance for Platinum and lower - If you are Platinum rank or lower, there is a minor influence to how well you perform on your chosen heroes in that match.
    • This performance is not compared to your teammates! Instead it is compared to the heroes you play versus the overall community using the same heroes you did.
    • The exact measurements of performance are not entirely known, but it is speculated this is a combination of eliminations, final blows, hero damage dealt, healing applied, accuracy, and total deaths.
    • In-game medals are NOT an accurate measurement of personal performance. Medals compare basic stats to that of your teammates and since each of you play different roles and heroes, you will not be able to properly gauge how much contribution you are providing to the match from looking at Medals.

Need more information? Check this guide out:

The patient from ATVI that you refer to is not in use in Overwatch’s matchmaking systems, this has been debunked many times.

Jeff Kaplan and Scott Mercer has addressed the perception of forced 50/50 win rates here:

Source: Old Overwatch Forum Archives

Well the MMR system is obviously failing then

3 Likes

What you are doing comes close to complaining why a food manufacturer doesn’t give out the recipe for their products.

If you would know what exactly determines your MMR, you could easily manipulate it.
We saw that years ago, when Mercy mains learned that “Lot of rez = lot of SR”
You saw players only go for rezes, not caring about the outcome of the match much, because one win pushed them forward a lot more than a loss would set them back.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how you could manipulate killing more people or dying less, assuming those are criteria they use. If these criteria are what they think makes a better, more “skilled” player, then what harm would there be in players focusing on improving in those areas? Supposedly, win/loss matters most to their system so you’d have to win your matches.

1 Like

I literally just gave you an example of how it was abused in the past, leading to bad behavior by players, which affected a lot of matches. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

In the end, the game is rigged. Nothing short of me being able to personally examine their code is going to change my mind on that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alright buddy.
At least you are not blaming your team for your losses, but the whole system.

I don’t think the game is rigged. The matchmaker is just garbage. Which is worse though?

Hey. Bad players exist. It’s why they have bronze, silver, gold, and plat. Trying to climb in rank in this game is like trying to escape the pit of souls in Hercules. You have to be…a…a god!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M_BepAqxz4&t=31s

Bad players do exist, but perception of what is bad or good is never going to be seen the same from player to player. I would also emphasize that we all have bad days, good days, and days inbetween when playing. Each of our own skill will vary and be influenced by factors like fatigue, physical health, mental health, intoxication, external distractions, internet latency, computer system performance, etc.

Like I said in your other thread, you have to focus on simply improving yourself to deliver more consistent performances across your entire career of playing and not focus on any specific match. You are right about one thing to an extent, you do have to outperform to climb.

Blizzard can maybe focus on fixing their broken system.

1 Like

They think, it does not exist.
They think, it is you who fails and that Blizzard is fair and cannot fail
They think, you suck and you are salty and that you need to git gud

1 Like

You have to outperform to climb?
#BoycottBlizzard
all I have to say

1 Like

Players find loopholes and then abuse it. That’s why its hidden.