Hero pools needs some changes

first i know my english are trash but hope u understand! so hero pools are unbalanced like u banned MERCY again and WIDOW AGAIN when widow is not even meta like mercy is played a lot but she doesnt needs to be banned again in 1 season. when they banned roadhog and doomfist i was so excited that i could finally play symmercy and then i was in 3200 i was it was super fun and i really enjoyed ow. hero pools for me are good sometimes for 2 reasons anf first is that when they ban a hero like hog or doomfist i can finally play my mains cuz cmon hog is counter to symm and the other reason is when they ban my main like mercy i can finally play my beloved moira and heal my team even easier or just play my sweetheart brig.

hero pools would be better if players could ban the heroes it has more fun and balance to all of this because its just 1 match like when they ban me mercy i can play other healers and when i ban a hero like hog its a little bit easier for me to play! in other games on rank players can choose who to ban after all so why ow makes a difference?

The development team specifically avoided starting a Pick and Ban system to avoid the problems of a “ban meta” which causes the same if not more problems than a regular metagame.

If by changed you mean removed, I agree.

6 Likes

agreed but maybe in future can we see a change to that ban system? i dont mean to remove them or make it like the other games but dont u think that is unfair to ban some heroes 3 times in 1 season?

I think right now, we are just being stupidly unlucky, right now it seems like banning Mei is only done if a cat is doing the work. If anything I think hero immunity needs to be increased for more than one week if they are banned.

3 Likes

Any idea of what our chances would be of getting a true “Jeff picks” or even a “OWL teams vote” ban system for OWL play (and having separate bans for OWL and Competitive again)?

Maybe it’s just me, but subjecting OWL to the effects silver-to-platinum (mostly incidental) metas—my own section of the game, mind you—feels far more harmful to the OWL viewing experience than a disparity between what they’re allowed to play and what I am.

1 Like

if ever OWL is allowed to choose the hero bans I QUIT. they hate mercy symmetra and my heroes and they love doom and hog like omfg

I severely doubt OWL picking and OWL sharing bans with Competitive would ever occur within the same reality.

Preach it.

Characters

If the same heros are being banned, either through player pick or usage rates, then that should highlight a problem with those heros that Blizzard should address.

It’s not unlucky that these heros are banned, it’s that they are stronger than the rest of the roster and should be addressed through balance. Unfortunatley Blizzard are still really slow to do this.

Side note - I think they should just get rid of bans althogether. There aren’t enough characters in OW at the moment to ban 4 every week.

Hero bans are a terrible idea. Another example of Blizzard’s “If you can’t fix it, remove it!” mentality. Role queue and map pools are other examples of that.

Because when, say, Bronze-to-Plat spams Genji-Mercy and those two get banned its because they are just so vastly overpowered, right?

If you look at Overbuff, pick rates in GM aren’t that much different to the wider playerbases. In fact pickrates in Silver-Masters are very close, it’s just GM and Bronze that are the outliers and even then it’s not that much different.

If they are going to only take OWL data then just remove hero bans for the ladder as their pick rates do not reflect the masses, even GM picks do not look like OWL.

Oh, I’m all for removing Hero Bans from Competitive, or at the very least splitting them off from OWL’s. I gave Bronze-Plat merely as a tongue in cheek example.

Yes I would rather they removed them for ladder altogether. It’s just retricting the players fun.