Heracleion (Underwater Egyptian Ruins) Map?

The promo for Hammond’s Submarine skin had an underwater background, and one of the same statue heads from Temple of Anubis can be seen on the ocean floor. Do you think this could be a hint at a map that takes place in Heracleion - a sunken Egyptian temple/city off the coast of Alexandria?

There was a concept of an underwater Galapagos map back when the game was in Alpha, but I can’t see why an ancient Egyptian style statue would be there. Thoughts?

4 Likes

It’s probably just staged for the picture.

3 Likes

It might be staged just for the picture. They’ve staged areas just for promotion before, but all I can think of are for gameplay trailers. Orisa’s, for example. They made a workshop for Efi just for the trailer out of Numbani assets. It doesn’t exist in game.

It’s been pointed out to me (by DoctorSix above) that the boat in the back is from Ilios, and the head is from Temple of Anubis. (EDIT: The boat is a Volskaya airship. Thanks Gwadael) Reused assets could just mean its a promotional picture.

That being said, they’ve reused assets for maps before. We could be seeing that here too, or it could just be an extremely early build of the map before they made the new assets.

Either way, its speculation. But I think seeing the return of the Galapagos concept would be really cool. The question is getting people to breathe underwater, but HLC doesn’t seem to care with the outdoor combat so it should be fine. We might get a map that is mostly in a building with some underwater parts with low gravity, just like HLC.

As for the setting… I don’t think it will be in Egypt like the head suggests. That’s probably just a placeholder asset (assuming that it is a real map.) I think it will either be Galapagos (as originally intended) or in the East China Sea. The Gwisin Kaiju needs to be coming from somewhere, perhaps we will be fighting in an underwater omnium (or in the Kaiju itself.)

1 Like

Probably just promotional art to advertise the skin, but perhaps a new map. I’m hoping for the ladder

I’ts actually the flying ship in Volskaya Industries.

All assets are found on other maps :

The barrels and buckets are in Eichenwald.
The statue is from the Temple of Anubis.
The sinking ship in the background is the one flying in St Perersburg, on Volskaya Industries.

The concept of an underwater map isn’t new (the old Titan concept Galapagos you said - and when the “Grey” snowglobe was added, with the OW blue logo, people made the connexion with Winston underwater skin with the blue logo on the shoulders : maybe it’s some underwater Watchpoint)

But it’s just reused assets - even the sand can be found on Anubis or Necropolis so…

That being said, never say never, but that’s image is not a teaser - it was just made to show the new skin.

2 Likes