Help picking parts for a PC

https://pcpartpicker.com/ is the usually recommendation these days to just find compatible stuff.

1080p@144hz will probably be quite easy. I would just browse other peoples’ builds in the similar price range and work from there. If you have any specific questions I’m sure people can help answer them.

PS. Dont cheap out on the power supply. It’s probably the most important component in the entire build.

6 Likes

If OW is going to be the primary game, I doubt you’ll need to spend $1200 on a pc

Now I’m ngl, I don’t know that much about pc but I would think that price range would be running max level graphics on way more intensive games like Ark or Red dead that have absolutely massive maps with lots of models and textures to load

I just don’t really think Overwatch would be too much for most pc

You’d be surprised from the stuff I’ve seen on YouTube where people can barely hold 144 fps on high end cards and chips. A lot of the times they drop below it.

Interesting I suppose

Just be careful ig, don’t want to spend too much more than you have to :slight_smile:

If its mainly for overwatch a 1660 ti is pretty decent for graphics

Could you use pcpartpicker or something to build a balanced system that you could advise? I don’t really know how to pair parts together.

Don’t buy Intel in current year.

Alright, what do you recommend as a AMD + NVIDIA combo to reach my needs?

3700x + 2070 Super works alright, i used that combo for a friend and he has like 200 frames on Ultra settings at 1080p.

A 2060s and 3600 would work aswell, though you won’t be able to multi-task as much.

Any bottleneck? Streaming + Gaming capable?

Wyoming has made a nice guide on this: GUIDE: Maximizing System Performance for Overwatch (PC)

Doesn’t fully cover all hardware, though it’s a big step forward in knowledge.

A couple suggestions for you:

• I would recommend you wait a couple months if you’re not in a hurry. The next generation of gpus and cpus are about to release and amd is even refreshing their current gen cpus. I think with amd it’s in Q3. If you want one of those, you’ll get much better performance. If you don’t want the newer ones the older models will become cheaper.
  • Get an NVMe SSD if you can. They usually go in a m-2 slot on your motherboard and are super fast. You’ll load in before everyone else every time and your pc will start in a matter of seconds.
  • Don’t get a liquid cooler for your cpu unless you want it for the looks and have extra spending money once you’ve got everything else. High end (even mid-tier, really) air coolers can keep up with them or even outperform them until you get into the territory of custom built water loops with massive radiators, and something tells me you aren’t going to be doing that. A $30 Hyper 212 Evo will keep up with a $150 liquid AIO and it takes 25% of the time to install.
  • Pick all of the peripherals you are going to want first. $1200 sounds like a lot for a pc, but after peripherals it’s more like $800 and that isn’t a lot. Choose all of your peripherals first so you know how much $$ headroom you need after you pick all of your hardware. It’s easy to grab all the internals like a 3700x and a 2070 super but if you’ve only got $400 of your $1500 left to spend after you pick those parts (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dxk83t) you’re going to find it hard to grab a case, storage, a monitor, your light up mechanical keyboard, your mouse + pad, headphones and potentially a mic if it isn’t built in, your operating system, etc without making some serious compromises. In my case I’d guess my peripherals actually cost as much as or more than what’s actually in my computer. :laughing:
  • For your power supply, try and get a fully modular one. They’re amazing to work with and very flexible, they also support future expansion very easily. Do NOT cheap out and get a bad brand because a faulty PSU at best won’t turn on, and at worst will fry something. I’ve always loved EVGA’s power supplies. They’re very reliable.
  • Also, something nobody told me: the ram you buy is going to run at 2133mhz until you enable XMP (or DOCP for amd) in your computer’s bios. It doesn’t matter what manufacturer it’s from, who made your motherboard, intel or amd, the speed of the ram that’s advertised isn’t what it runs by default. You have to tell it to do that yourself once everything is put together. :smile:
2 Likes

I just bought parts for upgrading my pc ,essentially a new build. All together cost me 650$ and i get a consistent 1440p - 180fps at ultra. But i’m playing on a tv monitor, so my next upgrade is there.

Mid-size micro atx compatible tower
B450ds3h motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 cpu (you don’t need much better than this for a gaming pc)
Sapphire pulse 8gb Rx 580 gc
600w power supply (80 plus bronze)
16gb memory 3200mhz
512 gb nvme ssd (as long as you go ssd, you’ll be fine)
And a 1tb hdd for excess storage

With your budget, I’d have upgraded the ssd to at least 1tb, gotten a full size tower, gone with a radeon rx 5700 or nvidia rtx 2060 super and bought a bigger/better motherboard such as an x570 full atx board for about 300$ more than i spent, and that’d leave around $ 250 for a new 144hz monitor without going much over 1.2k.

Already have enough mice, keyboards and headsets to equip a small e-sports team though, so that’s where i didn’t have to budget.

1 Like

Honestly you really shouldn’t be asking people here for help.
You don’t know if someone here has lack of knowledge about PC building and you might buy a wrong part for your PC.

I recommend watching people who are experts and trustworthy with building PCs. I highly recommend Linus Tech Tips on YouTube.

You need to make sure bottlenecking won’t be a problem for your PC, ensure your motherboard and CPU are compatible etc…

This game is well designed from a graphics and performance standpoint.

I can run OW on a 10+ year old CPU in 1080p and keep a constant 85fps.

You wouldn’t even need $1200.

NVMe SSD’s operate over the PCIe bus/use PCIE lanes. Typically they go in an m.2 slot

oops you’re right, that was a mistake on my part i’ll fix

I was mistaken because mine goes into a pci-e but not all of them do

What’s wrong w/ Intel? I thought i9 10900K is the best

I forgot to say this before, but i checked a few pc build videos as a guide before starting… to make sure basics didnt change much and for important reminders of dos and donts… and man, do i wish this kind of thing was around back when i first built a pc over a decade ago. Highly recommend watching it before you build, whether you are a first time builder or just need a refresher course like i did. Your build might not be exactly like his, but the basics are all pretty similar.

Sata vs pci gen-3 vs pci gen-4 for bonus because people still debate this topic

If you want to be good at the game, you should do like the top players - that means lowest settings and 75% render scale.

You will get top FPS and the game is much clearer with less visual clutter and better hero outlines.
Coincidentally it also means you don’t need to buy a high-end rig.