Help Me Understand Competitive Better

I don’t know if this would work or not, I’m interested to hear what you guys think. I can’t really wrap my head around why Competitive SR is basically just based on wins and losses, especially for solo queue. I understand its a team based game, and that SR also factors in certain stats per character, but basically it boils down to i you win, SR goes up, if you lose, it goes down. No matter what, that’s just how it works. Why can’t SR be based on an individuals stats per game, whether you lose or win? I’ve had games where I do pretty well, 2-3 gold medals and made some plays during the game, but we lose anyway, so all the hardwork and “skill” used to play the match means nothing because at the end of the day, my team lost so my SR goes down. I could have the game of a lifetime, but if we lose anyway my rating still drops because I have to rely on 5 other random people to do their job and communicate and play strongly together. 7 out of 10 times that is just not the case, and I don’t see how it is fair to punish a player’s SKILL RATING based on the outcome of a game that they have to rely on 5 randoms they have never played with before. I’ve been playing for the past 3 days and haven’t won a single match in that time, no matter how good I may play my SR has plummeted, and it doesn’t look good to get it back up. I just don’t understand how blizzard believes the current competitive system works well and is all around fair and appealing. There are a lot of days now where I don’t want to even continue playing because it only gets worse. I hope someday soon Competitive gets an overhaul of sorts, and that blizzard can make the game enjoyable for everyone again, not just the 1% at the top.

PS: for the record I mainly play on console, just started on PC. Rank has dropped from 2500 to around 2150 over a 3 day period.

What do you guys think?

Hello Fourtified, have you tried reading through Kaawumba’s thread?
Maybe it might be of some use to you:

If you think that relying on 5 unreliable randoms aka “solo queue” players, maybe you can try LFG?

Personally, i have had cases whereby i believed that i was doing well in some games last season whereby i lost 7 SR points for 2 games. However, it has been deemed as a bug in the system so i had submitted a Bug report but i have no reply yet.

There is such a thing as Performance SR but apparently, it is not that much to make a difference. The only thing i can say is that this game is a Team-based MOBA/FPS hybrid and hence, it rewards/penalises based on performance as a team.

It appears that this is Blizzard’s overarching strategy towards their online competitive games because Heroes of the Storm functions along similar lines unlike other MOBAs.

Stats can be inflated and pumped up in way that run directly counter to winning games. The best example is the tiny window of time when the player base figured out Mercy rez was huge stat/SR booster. So some player started to just burn off Rez the second they got it just to pull as many a game as the could get and it worked.

where as winning games requires a person do everything they should be doing stats/player wise and still gives weight to the all the little things stats can’t track. As it’s winner take all.

plus being the best of the worst doesn’t mean a person should rank up. The best example of this is just a simple foot race from point A to point B. Player can run it in 2min and they always win the race against players running 2:20 time. Does that mater if the next level up is always running 1min 40 seconds? No… If you can’t throw down a 1:40 time it’s pointless to move that player up.

it’s why if you look at most 3k+ players their stats are going to be higher along with their win rates. It’s the whole packages in most cases, not just one element of it. Most people who are in lower ranks and stuck are still just making new player sort of errors. It takes a lot longer time wise and way more games played for an average player to get better to the point of ranking jumping than people seem to understand.

Because if the win doesn’t matter, all you have is people farming individual stats. It’s a team based game, so the objective always matters the most. Always. Besides, your stats influence how much SR you gain or lose up to Diamond, so in the long haul if you continue to perform well, you overall earn more SR for wins and lose less on losses.