Help me communicate with my teammates (T^T)

I know that you don’t necessarily need comms to climb, but honestly it just seems rlly fun and I wanna get better at it :] I’m mostly just nervous when communicating and I end up focusing too much on not sounding dumb then my gameplay. Also my sense of direction kind of sucks and I end up making incorrect calls and I feel myself being talked over frequently. Just any tips from people that helped them get better at communicating would be much appreciated o(〃^▽^〃)o big thanks in advance

1 Like

short phrases require less processing, focus orientation relative to the team or use landmarks

‘soldier ult bridge’ is more useful than ‘soldier using visor on spawn side of bridge’, because if you speak at an average speed you’ve given the full information in less than half the time

‘reaper left flank’ is ok, but only if the team is all orientated toward a teamfight and left will be the same to everyone… it’s easy to get confused and say ‘reaper left’ when he’s to your left but other people’s right… better to say ‘reaper flank by big pack’ or something that your team is likely to recognize in the terrain

Also, too much info isn’t always useful, focus on calls that are actionable.
Calling someone ulting’s location, or someone about to ult, or a flank can save a team member from death. Calling a target that’s far from any cover can help secure a kill. All too often, you hear calls like ‘pharah 1’ as she’s dropping out of the sky with mercy already attached. Or, ‘roadhog 1’ but he’s vaping and taking cover anyway. These calls offer little value and are mostly just DPS trying to make it sound like they’re doing something.

3 Likes

thank you so much for the advice (・∀・)cutting down the callouts to short phrases is actually rlly helpful since it’s such a fast pace game

I put sticky notes on the side of my monitor that say ‘left’ and ‘right’.

A friend of mine suggested that I narrate my gameplay with a muted mic to get comfortable with explaining things while playing. It’s really helped me.

1 Like

U already got a lot of helpful tips and I know how you feel. I’m a girl and I used to hate talking in voice chat, especially since English isn’t my first language and I’d just get anxious. So yeah you’re not alone haha

Try to practice it as often as u can. I spoke so much to all kinds of people that I have zero problems with talking in voice now, even when I get flamed. I think when you’re more used to it=less nervous you’ll avoid errors, at least that’s how I experienced it (: good luck

2 Likes