Help! fps drop :(

So I’ve found this:

Hey there!

So there are a few things that can cause issues like what you are seeing and in nearly every case we have done troubleshooting with players the issues have come down to one of a few things.

Bad/outdated drivers/os and settings.
Corruption in the game client settings or files.
Interference from something else on the system that affects the client directly or affects the system in a way that impacts the client.

In rare cases there can be overheating, power or even hardware concerns but that is pretty rare. Definitely something to think about but I would recommend focusing on the following first: (Some of this you may have done, just make sure you have tried everything and in the manner I suggest.)

Make Sure your OS and Video Drivers are up to date: (with AMD use the 17.7.1 drivers for the moment)

I would like you to perform a clean install of your drivers by completely removing the old drivers as follows:

1. Let’s remove the old drivers via a program called DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and choose the first link.
  2. Once that’s installed, go ahead and run the program. It will say that you’re not in safe mode and ask to run in safe mode. Go ahead and tell it yes to restart into safe mode.
  3. Once in Safe mode the program will pop back up. Simply select your video brand from the drop down and then click Clean and Restart.
  4. Once it restarts the PC you’ll want to get your video drivers from the following:

For AMD video cards go here. (Reminder use the 17.7.1 drivers for now)
For Intel go here.
For all Nvidia Video cards go here.

(If you have multiple GPU’s)
We will then want to make sure the system is setup to use the GPU’s properly. Generally you can just reset settings via this article.

However with Optimus based system running an Intel/Nvidia Combo you may need to perform some additional settings changes:

1. Right click desktop, select Nvidia Control panel.
  2. Go to Manage 3D Settings, in the global settings section, click the restore button to the bottom right of the settings list. Click Apply
  3. Go to the Set PhysX Configuration page and select your Nvidia processor to be the PhysX processor, click Apply.
  4. Go back to Manage 3D Settings, select the Program Settings tab, find the app/game in question, select Use Global settings, click apply.

(Next let work on the game client and other software on the system)
Let’s reset the in game user options:

1. Click the blue bnet icon on the bnet app.
  2. Choose settings, then game settings.
  3. Click the reset in game user options button under the correct game listing.
  4. Confirm the changes and close the window.

Run the Scan and Repair tool.

If you are on Windows 10, please disable the Game DVR (Please also disable GameBar and GameMode functions if you are on the Creators Build)

Please disable Nvidia Overlay. You can access this option through the Geforce Experience Desktop Application. Simply log into the application. Click on the gear symbol, scroll down to the Overlay Section and move the slider to off.

(Avast users only)
I recommend uninstalling the Game Mode and File Shield modules from Avast as we have multiple reports of these specific modules experiencing conflicts with our games. If that does not help, you can try temporarily uninstalling Avast and seeing if that does the trick. Be sure to reinstall Avast when you are done troubleshooting.

Try running your system in selective startup mode. This will rule out most other applications outside of security programs.

Then there’s also this:

Options > Gameplay and I disabled 3 options: Display tips, POTG capture UI and OWL results

from Beneva_ on reddit.

Personally, what worked for me was this:

1. Right click desktop, select Nvidia Control panel.
  2. Go to Manage 3D Settings, in the global settings section, click the restore button to the bottom right of the settings list. Click Apply
  3. Go to the Set PhysX Configuration page and select your Nvidia processor to be the PhysX processor, click Apply.
  4. Go back to Manage 3D Settings, select the Program Settings tab, find the app/game in question, select Use Global settings, click apply.

this:

Overwatch graphic settings >Reduce Buffering > ON

And I also noticed Crashmailer_64 was opened whenever it was the worst. Only solution I found to that one is to delete the ErrorReporting folder every time time after I opened the Bnet launcher and before launching the game.

I had horrible DPS drops. It’d drop from 120FPS to 10-20 every couple seconds, sometimes every second. It was unplayable.
Now after those changes it stays at a steady 110-125.

1 Like

Thanks i’ll try it :slight_smile:

I’ve had FPS problems too, what I recommend is going to your video settings, turning OFF Reduce Buffering, clicking Apply, and turning it back ON, and clicking Apply every time you start your game.

1 Like

Cant remember were ot is but turn off the gfx card acceleration on the bliz laucher that causes fps drops sometimes…that and it might be ur gfx card needs to be at a previous version …sometimes gforce likes to update their stuff but it conflict’s with OW and some other games but not all. That and u might have to google how to optimize ur gfx settings i did this and it helpt a lot on not only OW bur other games that were high gfx games

1 Like

i tried everything… nothing works…
i’m losing hope

):

Even reinstalling and lowering the graphics?
Do you have anything open while running the game?

probably it’s the overheating thing…
already did that, and nothing running in backround with ow

I also have very specific tips and tricks that go beyond standard troubleshooting to go over in my guide here:

1 Like

Thanks, still think that my problem is overheating.
Edit: I deleted and reinstalled overwatch, and i put to 60% the cpu power (idk how to explain it, the one in the battery and energy settings), hope this helps

If you think there is overheating there are tips here that can help:

ok thanks! i already have HWMonitor, but i forgot it!
now i’m confused though, the guide that you linked me says to enable Vsync, but some people say that is better to disable it.
what should i do?

Put some Olive Oil on your GPU, the grease will help it run faster.

1 Like

Well…
That’s also an emergency…

2 Likes

They’re saying enable vsync to cap your FPS and thus reduce stress on your hardware, which in turn lowers temps.

However, vsync also generates a crapton of input lag, could double it almost. So guides focused on gaming competitiveness will recommend its deactivation (and so will I).

Thankfully there’s a best of both worlds. Use the in game FPS limiter, with Vsync off and Reduced Buffering on. The in-game FPS limiter will add some little amount of input lag, very small, and will help unload your GPU just as much as vsync. Set it to one or two frames above your native refresh rate.

1 Like

Ok thanks, i’ll cap my fps to 122 then

FPS drops happen for a few reasons (assuming your internet has not changed):

1)Spamware, check what you recently installed and see if it gave you some additional goodies

1. Overheating component, CPU or GPU, if it is this, you can tell with HWMonitor or NZXT CAM both are free. Check to see all your fans are running too.
    Re-apply thermal paste at least once a year on cpu, try to do it every 6 months.

2. Patch bugs. You can’t do anything about this until they fix it. But others should be experiencing it too. If no one else is, it is not this.

3. Remote chance it is your GFX drivers, but sometimes there will be problems when they update

There is no reason to play with V-Sync on, it will introduce a lot of input lag.
Unless you are seeing so much tearing that you just can’t handle then sure go ahead and use it.

update: yesterday, when i was playing, i noticed that the problem is almost fixed, and the fun part is that i didn’t do anyhing in particular. LOL
sometimes i still get some drops, but less impacful.
Thanks very much to everyone that helped me find a solution writing on this topic, you guys are AWESOME! :smiley:
edit: If the problems continues in the future, i’ll tell you :wink:

I was having the same issue as you until the weekend.

I was reading lots of things that said “Your CPU or GPU (or both) are overheating.

I thought, “Nah. Can’t be. I clean the inside of my PC regularly.

Turns out I wasn’t doing it thoroughly enough. When I actually took out my GPU and looked at my CPU fan, there was dust clogged everywhere.

Check yours. If it looks like that, get a can of dust-spray and go at it.

Haven’t had an FPS drop once this week. :smiley:

1 Like

It sounds to me like the leftmost bluewired ventricle in the right temporal parietal junction may be clogged with garlic aioli. You may need to blow really hard on it.

1 Like