Hear me out, please buff Junkrat

To start this, I have one-tricked Junkrat since I have started playing in Season 5.
I have nearly 400 hours on him, over 1500 games won, and am currently at 2942 SR.

Currently several heroes have gone through, or are going to get, buffs.
In fact, every hero, except Junkrat, D.va, Reinhardt, Wrecking Ball (I think), Widowmaker, Tracer, and Brigitte, have been buffed. D.va has not had any changes in a while, and Wrecking Ball is rather new and hasn’t had any (I do not count changes that happen directly after a release). Reinhardt had ‘bug fixes’ that more or less just changed the bugs he had. Widowmaker and Tracer were nerfed, but in a way that really did not affect them in any meaningful way. Brigitte was over tuned and was nerfed accordingly. However, Junkrat was nerfed quite heavily. When he was buffed in Season 5, the community clearly did not like the power Junkrat had with two 120 mines. On top of this he got blimp tire, which as much fun as that was it was a bit too strong. So over time Blizzard nerfed tire to a reasonable state and gave mine a strong nerf. Then, they nerfed his frag size and his tire again. At the time, Junkrat was a bit weak, but he could still manage pretty well. Soon after however, several heroes started getting changes. Quickly, Junkrat lost a lot of power (especially with double sniper meta kicking in). He has not changed since then and I believe it is safe to say that Junkrat is currently the weakest hero in the game. I would like to see Junkrat buffed in a way that not only gave him back some of his consistency, but brought him more in-line with the hero cast. Here is what I would change about him:

Frag Launcher
-Increase shot size from .2 to .25

The math shows that the most recent nerf to Junkrat made his shot at least 50% smaller no matter how you calculated it (besides measuring the decrease to the radius). With is buff, it would keep his shot size smaller than what it originally was, but only make the shot size at most 41% smaller, compared to it currently being at most 70% smaller. This should make players aim a bit more then before it was nerfed, but have the shot will be a bit more consistent in most instances.

Concussion Mine
-Reduce the amount of fall-off from 30 to 60.

Mine has the hardest fall-off in the game (from 100% at the center to 25% at the edge). Which makes mine rather inconsistent. This buff will give Junkrat some more consistency along with keeping his solid mobility.

-Increase Concussion Mine’s HP to 30HP versus 5HP.

Mine is very easy to break, so easy that it is often destroyed on accident. This buff will allow mine to live longer and give players better use out of the ability, without forcing the enemy to place any major attention to mine.

-Reduce air control of enemies effected.

Every other type of concussive effect has reduced air control to any enemy effected. When Junkrat uses mine on an enemy, they have total air control. To keep things more in line with the hero cast, I would reduce the air control of enemies effected by mine (similar to Pharah’s concussive blast). It also gives Junkrat more consistency with his kit. Junkrat would retain full air control when effected by mine.

-Directional Mine

Currently, mine will launch an enemy upward regardless of the location of mine to the effected target(s). This is not only inconsistent, it does not make any sense. So mine will launch all targets in the direction according to the location of mine. For example, if mine is directly to the target’s left, it will launch them directly to the right.

Steel Trap
-Trap activates instantly.

There is a short delay when trap lands to it actually being able be trap enemies. Removing this will allow more versatility with trap and help him with very fast-paced fights.

Rip-Tire
-Increase Rip-Tire’s speed from 12 to 14.

Rip-Tire is extremely squishy and relatively easy to hit at it’s current speed. This buff will hopefully give it a longer life span and get better use from the player.

-Allow it to blow up as soon as it’s animation is over and reduce the 1 second
delay after tire is detonated/destroyed to .25 seconds.

Junkrat is killed quite often during his ult (many times during these delays), so reducing this delay should significantly help with him surviving and playing the game. Also, through personal experience, ‘hiding better’ does not work. I have been in VERY safe places before and still died.

Total Mayhem
-No changes are needed.

If you have gotten down to here I thank you. If you have any questions or concerns, please respectfully post them below and I will do my best to respond. I will not respond to any comments after 5 days.

3 Likes

How does ‘No’ work for you? He’s already the simplest hero to play, let’s not lower his skill floor lower than the basement it’s already in.

I think these are okay changes, but do you think there are any changes that may make him feel less cheap to die to?

2 Likes

I only think we should buff the frag mines nothing else

i would suggest looking at this

I think giving him all of these changes might be a bit much, but certainly some are needed, namely the buff to his frag size.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I don’t think there is a way to do that. I understand that feeling to some degree, I have not played against many junkrats recently, but I think the only way to do such a thing is to completely rework the hero.