Hateful and sexist players

No, you did NOT have to hear them the full game. You could have muted them.

They ruin the game for you because you allow them too. Mute them and report them.

No matter how many people get punished it will not end.
What you have encountered are trolls. People who purposefully say “problematic” things in order to bait people into reacting.

If you give them attention (such as this thread) then you reward them with exactly what they want. A reaction.

Mute them. Don’t tell them you are muting them. Don’t react. Just mute so they go silent.

It protects your state of mind and robs them of the ONLY thing they want.

They already do. They will get banned, trust me.
I have gotten 800$ accounts perma banned for abusive chat. Blizzard cares A LOT about abusive chat.
Also btw i’ve had masters spin bot accounts never get banned 400+ hours of play time

hey i wouldnt admit to evading a ban and breaking tos here dude. not exactly smart.

blizzard tells you to buy new account if you get banned, not evading if they tell you to do it

I think that’s a little harsh i would do more of sliding scale with increase severity.

I play overwatch to play the game, me being a dude i don’t like it either. Don’t know what you have been experiencing but my games seems to have a few talking sexually explicit material. I usually just report them.

Report them as it happen it prolly isn’t the only game there doing it in enough reports then they will be punished if not sooner.

OK, I see that I got here late, but I would just like to say something here while I have a chance: making a thread about experiencing harassment in game does not automatically make someone a troll. This is a real issue for many.

Sometimes, after experiencing something like this, people want to talk about it, both to help raise awareness and possibly to find support in their fellow players. Because yes, such an experience can be very upsetting. Wanting to talk about it is a perfectly natural response. In no way does it instantly make someone a “snowflake”.

Also, even if a person does mute someone, chances are, they have already said something pretty bad, which led to the person muting them in the first place. They can’t say anything more to their victim, which is very good, but some damage has already been done–especially if what was said was extreme. And again, being upset after hearing something like that does not make someone a “snowflake”. Not everyone has to be like Spock to “deserve” to play Overwatch. We should have compassion for each other. Kicking someone when they’re down is just bullying.

It also sounds like in the case of the OP, the offender was interfering with her callouts, which would require the entire team to mute him as well if he was, say, intentionally yelling over them or something. So the problem can potentially actually be a more complicated one than just one mute could handle.

Also, I’d like to share something to encourage people who feel discouraged about the report system:

Basically, according to this, it doesn’t matter if you’re the only one in a match reporting someone or not. All it takes is one per match. You CAN help make a difference. This goes for victims and bystanders alike. Please report each and every one of these toxic abusive players, in every single match where they’re being toxic and abusive. Take no prisoners. We will cast them OUT.

5 Likes

Very well said. Thank you for your input!

And thank you so much for this information, I really didn’t know about that. It feels good to know that the system is still working in some way, even if the person had to go through the ordeal before blocking and muting the offender.

I wish more of the posts above were as constructive as yours.

1 Like

Yeah, I fing hate those idiots as well. They believe that they’re in charge of women. That they have the right to say whatever they f they want. It’s beyond my comprehension. I geninuely don’t understand why people like that even exist. Even if I try to defend the person who’s getting verbally assualted, they randomly accuse me of being that person’s boyfriend when I’m a stranger to her. It just doens’t make any sense.
Sorry, for my innapropiate language, but I can’t just express how mad I am that there are so many f****ing scumbags who believe that women are inferior to them and trea tthem as tools.

4 Likes

Right? It is just so despicable. It really makes your blood boil to know people like that some how slip through the system.

Like how do they even manage to stay clear for the reporting system?

If I may ask such a question, what servers do you frequent when you see this sort of behaviour? I’m on the EU servers.

1 Like

I mainly play on NA servers.

I’ve got news for you, OP. Contrary to popular belief, guys are probably harassed way more than girls in this game (mainly because the ratio is unbalanced anyway). While it does suck that people are picking on you because of your gender, I guarantee you the amount of toxicity that guys have gone through is far worse, honestly. Guys are expected to perform well in games like this, so when they don’t, they’re **** on constantly by individuals like the ones you’ve dealt with, and then some.

“mad cuz bad”, “git gud”, “you’re ****ing trash”, “ez”, etc.

These are the types of insults (and more, obviously) that you can expect to hear from people like that and they heavily outweigh the sexist remarks. Now, that’s not to take away from your experience here since I have heard some of this stuff go down on voice chat and it’s equally as stupid, but I’m just kinda sick of this whole mentality where it’s like “oh, girls get the worst of it and you wouldn’t believe what I had to deal with today”

Uh… Yeah. Yeah I can believe what you had to deal with today because what you’re going through probably doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface of what guys say to other guys on a regular basis in competitive games (whether it be OW, Warzone, Apex Legends, Fortnite, etc.). That’s just toxic behavior in general, but yeah… I just wish people would stop pretending like men just “verbally abuse ladies” in the chat or voice chat.

Regardless, I do hope that things get better for you, OP, but I also hope that you understand that guys are going through as much, if not more, **** than you’ve been dealing with since day 1, so please don’t think this is a “girls only” club or something. If you want to deal with hateful and toxic individuals, that’s absolutely fine. I’m all for that and on board, but when you start saying things like “sexist”, it kinda feels like you’re arguing for a “female’s mental health awareness day” while ignoring the fact that mental health is important for men as well.

Anyway, just wanted to put that out there though since it seems like more females come out to speak up about this thing than males do because I guess we’re supposed to just “deal with it” since we’re “men”, ya know? Having toxicity dealt with as a whole would be nice though, yeah.

LMFAO dude not even close and not even relevant. Girls go through way more, I see girls get breaded all the time just for being girls. Getting dumped on because of something you can’t control is way different than guys bickering over a bad pick/play.

I actually get a little nervous for girls when they talk because IME there is like a 20% chance she is going to get dumped on just for being a girl.

5 Likes

Yeah, you’re the real victim in all of this. You tell her.

5 Likes

I’ma be honest, awareness is great and all but

wth did I just read?

4 Likes

I’d bet money dude wears a maga hat.

2 Likes

It absolutely is relevant since we’re discussing toxicity as a whole here. It’s not just a gender related thing. You can argue about semantics all you want in regards to WHY it’s happening, but toxicity is toxicity, man. You’ll hear waaaaaaaaaaaay more toxic comments about gameplay in OW than toxic comments about someone’s gender (again, mainly because male players outweigh female ones, so it’s not surprising the scales are tipped a bit here).

Yeah, meanwhile, there’s an even higher chance you’re gonna get dumped on, girl or otherwise, just by your pick in the beginning. Let’s not pretend like this is just a gender thing here. Toxic individuals don’t give a **** what gender you are, lol. They’re just horrible people in general and fling insults and toxicity indiscriminately towards everyone around them.

Never claimed I was the “real” victim. I was just pointing out that guys have to deal with it way more often because there’s more of us and it’s kind of ridiculous that people just give it a free pass or ignore it because “oh, well you’re a guy, so it’s expected”. The fact that you came in here with a sarcastic remark instead of agreeing that toxicity as a whole is a problem basically solidifies that mentality.

Not even sure what was so surprising about this.

Males outweigh females in this game. Therefore, statistically speaking, it’s more likely for males to encounter toxicity more often than females in this game. I’m not really giving you a mindblowing revelation here or anything. Toxicity is wrong on all fronts, but it’s certainly not a “girls only” club where they’re the only ones having to deal with this trash.

I don’t wear any hats actually, but I’m glad you were so quick to assume my political affiliation because of my “wrongthink” and telling people that toxicity as a whole is bad, and that guys have to go through this **** all the time, even worse than girls do because there’s just more of us in the game (statistically speaking anyway).

Just because someone isn’t agreeing with you doesn’t mean you have to create a boogeyman as a defense.

“Oh, his opinion is different from my own. Yeah, they’re obviously a Trump supporter.”

How close-minded do you have to be to try and bring up politics into a discussion like this? It’s not even close to being relevant. Anyway, looks like you lost that bet, so I guess it’s a good thing you were only betting Monopoly money on this. Have fun with your mental gymnastics though.

Gonna go ahead and mute this since some people are obviously under the wrong impression here about what I was saying. Not sure how you can misconstrue “sorry you went through that, OP, good luck in the future” and “guys have to go through this on a regular basis too and it sucks” into something bigoted and ignorant, but there ya go. Should probably just stay off the OW forums for a while if people are unironically gonna dog pile you for not agreeing with the hivemind.

Later.

sTatisTicAlLy speaking, this thread was not made about toxicity in general, it was made regarding the experience that women were having.

The origin and predominance of this thread was not about toxicity as a whole. You recognize that in your first post early on.

What you say might hold weight, but your approach was foul and disregarding of the subject matter at hand, and tbh pretty disrespectful in method for the most part.

I would consider re-constructing your approach. You might find you have less backlash.

I really dont want to seem like im downplaying this but men also get the abuse from these people. They just try to find something that gets under your skin and pick at it until you rage. But yeah the best advice that there is is mute block report.

There’s no way on Earth you can change mindsets of everyone who plays this game (or other online games). And putting a moderator in every single match to immediately ban them is also impossible because Blizzard can’t afford it.

I’m not a woman but I just gave up on voice chat long ago because of all the toxicity. Some people find it bad, saying that i essentially play a team game like a single player – but whatever, I perform better in a match when no one is yelling at me how badly i suck at this game (even if it’s not true in this particular match).

1 Like

They don’t, that’s just one option.

You don’t “have to deal” with them, jesus christ, are you even reading what I’m saying to you?

You either deal whit them or you leave comms. What the hell do you think are other options? Are we gonna implement chips ito human brains and control their behavior and emotions? Are we gonna stop 7 billion people from experiencing hardships and adversaries and never feeling anger and spite in their lives? How?

Grow up, take responsibility, and use the report system or learn to deal whit them.

Stuff like this will be insta used against you. It’s stupid, pick up any history book and see what happens when people implement aggressive systems like these, see how it bites them in the as* in the course of no less than a month.

It’s impossible. Children are abused and bullied and then become bullies - they buy a video game and vent in it - how do you stop this? do we monitor every household on the planet and implement bans on buying video games if the kids are angry so nobody ever experiences bullies in the first place? You can’t change human nature - it sucks, but that’s how life is. The only thing you can change is you and then teach others how to deal with it.

Step one - learn to forgive. It may sound gay, but it does miracles and actually changes the world for the better, including the abusers.

nono “let’s have revenge”
Give me a break.

1 Like