Has there been a single case of someone solving their "Rendering device lost" issues?

Randomly playing mid-game, and a windows error message “rendering device lost, application closing” appears and Overwatch shuts down.

I have read countless threads of people having this issue over the last 2 years and I have not seen ONE case where someone has actually solved their issues. It is such a game breaking problem for so many people yet it seems like there has been zero progress on fixing the issue in 2 years.

Every time its the same suggestions and reply: oh did you clean install your drivers? Did you restart your computer? Post your dxdiag!

Yes, we have tried everything and everything is the same. No, there is not a hardware malfunction in everyone’s rig.

What’s the point of suggesting these “solutions” when there is nothing that seems to fix it.

Can we please get an update from anyone at Blizzard that is actually working on this problem? Is there even anyone looking into it? What do they know about it so far? What else do you need to find out? What solutions have actually been documented to solve the issue for anyone?
Is the issue buried so deep in the game code we should just uninstall or keep getting a new rig until the problem stops showing up?

2 Likes

Not staff, but I am frequent poster who had a rendering device lost error and solved it. A copy of my drivers from a specific date range was causing this error. I originally rolled my drivers back 2 months and fixed it, and recently I updated them to the most current version, and still not experiencing the error.

Unfortunately rolling back drivers did nothing for me. Back on the latest drivers too now.

1 Like

Did you post a dxdiag on another account somewhere? Or do you want to share one here. And just to make sure, you did look over the steps from this post? Known Technical Support Issues - Updated Oct 13, 2021 - #11

System Information

Time of this report: 1/11/2019, 19:25:26
         Machine name: DESKTOP-AVMTIFF
           Machine Id: {53CC4981-12F5-4609-8202-B370B5AA897E}
     Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
             Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
  System Manufacturer: Alienware
         System Model: Alienware 13 R3
                 BIOS: 1.5.0 (type: UEFI)
            Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
               Memory: 32768MB RAM
  Available OS Memory: 32640MB RAM
            Page File: 10563MB used, 26941MB available
          Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
      DirectX Version: DirectX 12
  DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
   System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
      DWM DPI Scaling: Enabled
             Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.17763.0001 64bit Unicode

We’re missing a lot of information from your DxDiag, make sure to copy the entire report.

I cant post the whole thing because there is the character limit and I cant split it in two because “PLEASE WAIT FOR OTHER USERS TO PARTICIPATE BEFORE REPLYING”

Okay, post it on pastebin and give us the end of the link? Usually the preformatted text option lets you post longer messages, but I’m not sure of the specific restrictions on new forum participants.

Ok pastebin link is /Li0NJ934

Is your drawing tablet plugged in? If yes, can you try unplugging and then playing?

I don’t have a drawing tablet? Are you talking about the touchscreen monitor on the laptop?

Oh, I didn’t realize it was the actual monitor since it’s listed under the input devices, and the AOC 2590G4 monitor was under display devices. Thought it was a separate unit.

Are both screens set to the same resolution (and refresh rate)? I didn’t see the res or refresh listed for the touch panel. Also, try toggling the setting for the monitor chosen in the game settings. If you have it set to Best Match, try selecting the specific screen, and vice versa. Finally, do you have a spare HDMI cable? It’s possible either the cable or ports that it uses have an issue?

Edit: Is the desktop resolution/refresh set to the same as in-game?

I have played on the 1440p 60hz laptop panel, a 60hz 1080p hdmi monitor, the 2590g4 144hz displayport monitor. In game refresh all correct. Crashes exactly the same on every one.

At this point I would suggest opening a ticket with your dxdiag and msinfo. It’s possible there’s a conflict with your video card and Overwatch, or some other application. Either way, they have the resources to look into these types of issues.

1 Like

has this been fixed?

I don’t think so, but I’m wondering if other touchscreens have the same issue that the Surface notebooks do. Another player posted that they have to leave both screens on otherwise Windows causes the driver to crash/lose fps. Here’s the thread: FPS drop when connected to external monitor - #11 by ravisco-11104

By the way it has nothing to do with only RTX Cards, just search the forum for a min or two, i found all kinds of cards even iGPus and AMD GPUs having the issue.
They get the same error message!

The same generic error code doesn’t make it the same issue.

1 Like

It’s just a generic message so you know why the game closed. Many other games just crash to desktop with no error/explanation, or hang for a long period waiting for the GPU to recover. Overwatch’s team probably did not want this for their competitive mode.

But the cause of the message is not always the same thing. For one person it’s an outdated copy of Razer Synapse drivers, a second person needs to update their Ryzen BiOS, for another it’s the Discord overlay, and yet another it’s overheating. That’s why everyone should post DxDiags, so if there are any actual things in common, they can be spotted and worked on.

Thank you for the Infos!
I actually did update Razer Synapse and my BIOS yesterday.

If it happens again I’ll get in touch with you, but if you wanted to see my DxDiags before I did all that you can check support emails I send them at the email that was suggested by the biggest thread. [removing personal info] is my email.
The points are just there to show you the beginning of my email of course I won’t post my full email here.

And no I don’t think GPU Helper exe that one just crashes on other times and was just there so my GPU does not go 0db Fan-Mode. At least I think it wasn’t the case and the times did not correspond in the error message.