Has Jeff given up on mercy?

yes

4 Likes

Okay

5 Likes

Tbh I just want a mercy 3.0 that doesn’t need 11 nerfs to feel balanced.

5 Likes

Variety perhaps, challenging; no… They made Mercy gradually easier to play and they lowered her skill-ceiling a lot, which made her boring to play. I made a thread about it here: They keep making Mercy easier (and less fun) to play by nerfing her

9 Likes

Mercy is fine and she is balanced. They already replied to you some months back. They are not going to make your hero OP again. If she is incredibly boring, play something else - no one forces you to play Mercy. Fun is subjective and it has no merit when talking about balance.

That’s the most out of touch with reality post I’ve seen in a long time. They increased her skill floor by actually making it possible to counter rez. Pressin Q for 5 people rez wasn’t particularly hard to do. :rofl: What game are you playing?

4 Likes

I think that is exactly what people have been doing, but people have been forced to play Mercy because she’s been OP. So, balancing her with the other support heroes is good. Making a hero in a game boring is bad game design. They need to bring some of the decision making back to Mercy’s playstyle, and this doesn’t have to make her more powerful, but they lowered Mercy’s skill-ceiling to the point where she’s not fun: They keep making Mercy easier (and less fun) to play by nerfing her

I’d rather have the troll-pick, underpowered, 1.0 Mercy as opposed to the OP Valk they reworked her into.

10 Likes

Getting rez off isn’t difficult, not even with a cast-timer. It’s just inconvenient.

Well, pressing Q to rez wasn’t hard. But keeping track of enemy ultimates or baiting them out to make sure your team didn’t instantly die again after rezzing them was challenging. But if you only considered Mercy 1.x to be about press q to rez I guess you never saw that dimension of her playstyle.

13 Likes

People continue to ignore the real issue and focus on whether it is fun to play Mercy or how powerful she is and forget the fact that she is fundamentally broken and bad for the game, even with 11 nerfs she’s still the strongest healer…watch her return with an ever so slightly less pickrate. She basically has 2 ultimates and as long as resurect is a standard ability she will - how are the other supports supposed to compare with another support with 2 ultimates? Mass res form of Mercy had massive flaws - she had very little if any mid fight potential - and without the competition of Moira and the recently buffed (buffed 3 times, thanks Blizz!) Ana she was pretty popular. If her old ultimate was to return with nerfs to stop her from having to disengage and stop her from res’ing through walls we’ll finally see a healthy game, a healthy support meta and a balanced game.

TLDR: whether you find her fun or not, her state, even with 11 nerfs has proved to be unhealthy for the game. A return to mass res with nerfs would make the game and support meta balanced.

4 Likes

That’s exactly the point. Mercy is balanced now, she is not a must pick every game. Blizzard have done their job properly. She has been must-pick for 11 seasons and finally she is tuned compared to other supports.

Your post is completely out of touch with reality - pressing Q for a team rez requires absolutely no skill. Rezing one person requires decision making, positioning, team play. She had no counterplay before when she now has. Boring/Fun is subjective and not relevant to discussion. I find new Mercy fun and more interesting to play than before. It’s a pointless argument and one based on emotions not relevant to the discussion.

Another out of touch with reality post. Mercy was never a troll-pick and underpowered. Not to mention the insane SR gains she had before her Valkyrie rework. I dunno what game you are playing but Mercy has always been the absolute best solo single target healer in the game hands down with the biggest utility out of the entire support roster.

:rofl: Yes, you stay in the back and wait for the Grav/combo and when everyone dies you fly and press Q and rez everyone back with absolutely no counterplay = profit. Dude I’ve played Mercy. Much complicated, such wow. Keeping track of enemy ultimates is the easiest thing a person can do and it requires basic multi-tasking of the simplest variety. You don’t even need to actively keep a note since all you needed to do is just hide or stay in the back and run away the moment somebody pops some kind of an ult which isn’t really complicated to do.

2 Likes

Before you had to triage your team in big fights, managing dangerously low health bars while being chased by a bunch of crazy flankers and divers, now you just ult and it manages the bars for you and allows you to fly to safety as well.

Before you had to decide when to resurrect, if you should go for the single rez on the tank, or maybe the DPS with the ult, or chance waiting for that one team member who was on the edge of death. Sometimes you had to pick between which team mate to ult if they were split too far.

Now, you know exactly when to rez, it’s a real no brainer. Rez when safe, or if there’s a wall to skirt behind, otherwise don’t. End of story.

Putting that all aside, they’re pretty much nerfing Mercy into the ground. It’d be fine if it was just a matter of balance but it feels like they’re trying to make her the most unfun hero to play in the game. Making sure she’s slower in every way, from ult charge, to movement, to healing, etc. They’re really doing their best to make her as sluggish and boring as possible.

8 Likes

Just read my post rather than assuming what’s inside it. It explains everything I’m referring to: They keep making Mercy easier (and less fun) to play by nerfing her

2 Likes

I read your post and I completely disagree with it. Mercy requires more skill now than Mercy 1.0 and original Mercy 2.0. She is balanced currently and in tune with the rest of the supports.

1 Like

Pressing q to get a team wipef is neither skillful or enjoyable for the enemies.

and yes once upon a time mercy was a throw pick and was underpowered she received an overbuff in the form of invulnerability during mass rez.

that’s when mercy became op.

Mercy has a lower skill floor,lower skill ceiling, isn’t balanced still and is even more boring while still being op.

they’ve fixed nothing.

3 Likes

Clearly a misinformed judgement. Allow me to explain.
Her res now requires far less skill, not only is it on a 30 second cooldown that doesn’t have to be earnt but using it requires far less decision making - right now it’s will res’ing this teammate impact the fight? and if it doesn’t or you die trying it doesn’t matter because it’s on a cooldown. Mass res Mercy didn’t require the brain of a rocket scientist but did require significantly more skill as you could just res your team into a team with ults or your teammates could have no ults to actually make a push aswell as losing your ultimate.

Not to mention Valkyrie requires the less skill of any hero in the game ever. As long as anyone on your team is alive it’s okay to use it, hell you could even use it to fly back to spawn after your entire team is dead. It completely negates having to decide which teammates needs healing as you can heal them all at once and staying alive during a heated fight is incredibly easy.

Tdlr: Old Mercy wasn’t extremely difficult but still much more difficult than current Mercy - she easily provides more impact with less effort than the old version.

Also read my previous post in the thread regarding Mercy’s position in the game

5 Likes

Yes, she was a troll pick, I mained Mercy from day one, I remember being asked to change constantly. The best part was proving those people wrong by playing a good Mercy.

8 Likes

Then let’s agree to disagree. I have played Mercy since the beta, and her skill requirements have gone a bit up and down. Mercy was never difficult to play, but decisions were affected by your ability to read the game to a greater degree before than they are now.

It’s great that the other supports get more playtime though. Viable healer diversity is good for the game and for Mercy players.

2 Likes

We still need more pure healer options as we have 2 burst healers but only 1 pure healer.

People would flood off mercy if we had more pure healer options and if we finally balanced mercy for real.

1 Like

Yes, this is the ultimate goal. Every healer being viable. Mercy’s recent nerf probably won’t do that - as long as she has resurrect and Valkyrie she will have more utility than the other supports. Old Mercy had that diversity - a few nerfs to make it less powerful would have fixed that. Unfortunately we have this…rework.

Yeah except that’s not how it works. :rofl: Getting team kills requires coordination, team effort and mechanical ability or good positioning. Getting team rez required the person to press Q and invalidate everything mentioned above with a single button.

Mercy has higher skill floor than before, moderate skill ceiling, is balanced and is not OP compared to other supports.

So much wrong with this statement - you have to decide which target to rez, can you actually rez the target without dying, would the target contribute to the fight. It’s a cost-risk analysis. And it makes an impact when you rez that Rein with a shatter or that Soldier with a visor etc. and I’ve seen it empirically proven time and time again.

Then you must have been a bad Mercy or something else. Particularly in your elo, playing Mercy is the safest support to play.

I’ve played since beta as well and Mercy has only increased in skill requirements - again empirically observable. If my 12 year old sister could pull team rez reliably literally anyone else can do it. She still dies to this day due to bad decision making of rezing out of position. This is observable empirically and undeniable.

You have primary healers and off healers, what else do you want? Primary healers are Mercy, Moira, Ana in level of difficulty. Off healers are Lucio, Brigitte, Zen in level of difficulty.