Has anyone here climbed high by reviewing their own vods?

Yup. I’m in high school and don’t have much to do. I watched LOTS of Overwatch as well on streams which I should have pointed out. Watching already good players I picked up on how they positioned, ult usage, and overall gamesense. But yeah I pretty much no lifed. I played around 30 hours of Overwatch straight about 3 weeks ago. I hit 3900 months and months ago and haven’t really played too much as of late so I also haven’t improved much as well. Time played varied to be honest. 13 hours there, 4 hours there, 1 hour there, 3 hours there. But I pretty much played almost everyday. Since May/June I have noticed I don’t play as much cause during that time I had lots of tests to study for and it’s been carrying over for the past few months.

So you didnt focus on anything? You just auto piloted to gm from silver

Just to clarify I was focused as I wanted to actively get better. I always played very seriously. I almost never made plays for the fun of it. If I were to make risky plays it’s because I saw the potential value of the reward if it were to succeed. My logic is if I enjoy the game then I don’t have to mess around, but simply play it and enjoy it for what it’s worth.

I also had past FPS experience when I played Siege I was Plat 3 not the best, but decent imo. And CS:GO I played with friends and such. Wasn’t really ever too good at that though think I peaked DMG or LE. Random WW2 games when I was younger too.

I disagree… Swapping targets regularly pressures and prevents enemy kills while focusing targets helps get kills. Which you should do depends on team priorities.

Need to stop an enemy ult focus fire…

Teammate is being pressured on defense swap target.

You need 10 percent for ult? Protect teammates even if you need to swap targets three times

1 Like

No, your target priority should usually be whoever your character is strong against. Its also a good idea to shoot at who your teammates are shooting at, unless they are shooting at a tank thats being double pocketed (surprisingly common in low ranks). If you want to play strategically, figure out who is causing your team the most trouble on enemy team and pick their counter and focus on stopping them.

For example, if their winston is destroying your supports, pick reaper and body guard them. If you cant figure out what heroes counter which or cant figure out who is enemy team’s best player, you might want to get coaching. Some people can figure it out intuitively, others need to be told. Or if you really dont want coaching, ask your supports who is causing trouble and what they think you should switch to help. Supports usually have the most game sense and have the best view of everything thats happening so they are the best to ask.

Also you dont “review” your aim. You can practice it by using software like aim hero or playing deathmatch for example, but its not something you should be actively thinking about during battles

Did my climb from 1.8 to 3.650 peak this season.

honestly for me personally it was just grinding & grinding even more.
Obviously not mindlessly grinding but thinking about every death & what you could’ve done better that game. VoD reviewing is a good way to go in deep on how you died or if you were out of position, if you couldve saved some cooldowns to stay alive or get the kill you missed out on.

IMO VoD reviews aren’t necessary but useful if you want to take the time and look into your gameplay. Just grind comp and be critical about every lost fight, lost game or death in general and you will eventually push.

Reviewing yourself is the best way to improve indeed, but it does not give much unless you admit your mistakes.

Best way really is to have someone look for you ofc, knowing that is not always an option.

What is wrong with diamond is usually in short cause you are all bad and too for damn arrogant to admit it. A general tactic to improve thou is a) learn to target the right people - who is carrying? Counter it! b) stop being an arrogant idiot, some people are simply better than you, if they have better stats and overall performance than you, they are better than you. Simple as that. Accept that, and do not start arguments over it. There for c) always accommodate the team if you bring more value that way. Swap and play the way they need you to. If you can not carry/have to carry than do not try to, just pick what the team needs.

Find your weaknesses and eliminate them.

You lose every 1v1? Either your mechanics need improvement like Aim and Movement or your setup isn’t ideal and needs fixing this can be anything from very low fps to a terrible connection.

You see yourself dying 1v3 or your team complains about your lacking presence? Maybe your gamesense is not as good as you thought. Rewatching your own gameplay from 3rd person will greatly improve your rank if you accept your mistakes.

You always get flanked or never have the impact you would like to have?
Maybe your positioning is bad. If you get caught outside of your teams range maybe it’s not their fault but yours for playing overly aggressive or too passive.

The more weaknesses you have to overcome the greater will be your improvement.

Would be nice if console got vods, but no i havent improved from watching vods. I watch my highlight plays though, not that it really helps. Idk i have been improving somehow and i feel i play the same way i always have just on more heroes now.

Some people are just better at things than others. There are players in this game that are t500 who have never played shooters before this. It’s nothing to feel bad about; it’s just how life is.

I’ve played shooters for 18 years and had to work hard for 14 seasons to get GM, but one of my friends who played only one shooter (MW2) switched over and shot to GM within three seasons without worrying about vods or anything. It just clicked for him, whereas for me it was a learned skill.

I was a little bitter about it for a time, but then I thought back to when we were in college. For me, math clicked. For him, it was a struggle that I had to help him through. He’s naturally good at some things, one of which happens to be Overwatch, and I’m naturally good at others. Same goes for everyone.

1 Like

Absolutely this. If you can identify one member of the enemy team that’s over performing or carrying, get your team to focus them. Sometimes a whole team falls apart cause they were being carried and that person starts getting countered.

1 Like

Just had this on Paris. Enemy Reaper was ripping us apart. So I swapped to DVA. Hard for him to get value when his shotguns don’t work for two seconds…

Beat them 1-0. Even booped him into the river.

He had 67% kill participation. So a pretty heavy carry* imo.

*Except he didn’t carry because he lost. Muhahahaha!

how much time should i spend reviewing my footage vs actually playing the game?

Damn, see thats how i feel.
I have insane amount of time in shooters, played very competitively in battlefield since bf2. Was in top teir of players in that game.

Then 800 hours into overwatch peak high diamond and have 0 clue whats happening and why im not climbing, questioning my gameplay, questioning my aim with no resolution. So i think i have to break it all down and focus on one or two things at a time. Meanwhile you have guys who never played a shooter on pc before reach from gold to high masters in 2 seasons with 50 hours of game time. I question my own IQ sometimes

It’s not ONLY reviewing your VODS, but remembering what you are seeing and applying it. It’s one thing to know what you’re doing wrong and see it, it’s another thing to correct it. Start with small things, like “ok this round, I’m going to try and do X” or “I’m just gonna try to take as little damage as I can” and work on up from there. If you try to adjust everything at once, you’ll overload and not remember any of it.

1 Like

100%,
But i strongly believe in, overload your self and put your self in the deep end. Think about everything until it becomes natural.

Worry about enemy biggest threats, what can kill you. What cool down do they have that can kill you, do they not have that cool down and they are over extending. Is there a reaper that isnt playing with his team? He is flanking, where are my healers? What ults do they have? What ults will they use? What do we do to counter ult it? What ults should we use to win the next push. Is there a doomfist around? I shouldnt play too close to walls, i should save my cool downs for doomfist. Why are we losing? Whos dying the most to what? Do i need to counter it? and so much more. I heard ML7 talking out loud his thought process, its insane… i dont even do 10% of that.

At the end of the day if your pushing into top tier % you have to overload your self and learn from it. Its not easy to get to the top. If it was average elo would be 3400.

1 Like

Nah nothing to do with your IQ, just a wrong approach on your side.

I played WoW the entire time, I’m telling you that my aim was non existent and even now, isn’t that great, hence why i don’t play heros who desperately need aim to change the outcome of the game.

It mostly really comes down to gamesense. You need to understand whats happening and learn on getting a better overview on things.

A good start learning those skills is always applying your game knowledge to your enemys and try predicting their next play. Aswell as you should always have a plan on what you wanna do next. This makes you able to read the current situation better & understand why things might not have worked out.

IMO this game really is more about gamesense than anything else. Aim comes by naturally and nothing you should be worried about other than knowing that you should improve it. Just keep your focus 100% on the game and always try to understand what’s going on. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

Look, me for example. I’m OTP’ing doomfist pretty much, yet I’m able to push into master even as a Tank. It is pure gamesense. Dude, give me a widow and I’ll be stuck in Plat, theres no doubt. You should decide if you either want to master aim intensive heros or not and then excel your skill to the maximum.

1 Like

given that im a hitscan main, aim is probably priority for me. But with aim you never feel like you improve.

Get kovaak and practise your aim ~10-15 minutes every time before you start to play. occasionally (if you like) you can play some OSU aswell. Or just play it during dps que (: .Thats what i would do to improve my aim tho. Obviously its not everything but being a hitscan main, you should defeinitely keep working on your aim.

Kovaak has some nice Overwatch mods from what I’ve seen.

1 Like

Make mental notes in situations where you didn’t understand why you succeed and why you failed.
Watch your replay and find out and how to repeat/prevent it

1 Like

Once again thanks heaps to all who has replied. There should be more discussions on how to improve and self asses rather then screaming " bad team, nerf doom "

1 Like

Reviewing your vods is a really good habit to pick up when you’re serious about grinding. I got into the 3600s by reviewing my vods and asking myself questions like, was my positioning good, did I get value, was I dumb for playing (insert hero here), if I do this will I die, and other self criticisms like this.

1 Like