Has anyone ever gone from low rank to high rank like masters during placements?

So I feel like I’m improving a lot as a general overwatch player and I know there’s still much to learn. Recently I’ve been trying offensive, aggressive Zen and out of 12 quick play games, I’ve only lost about 3. If you read th3 description of quick play it says ‘play with others of the same skill’ and if you read comp it says ‘compete and climb the ladder against other players of your skill rating’ or something like that. And we all know QP can have anyone from bronze to GM on the same thing so I feel like I’m doing A ok.

So I was wondering if anyone has ever gone from low rank to high rank in placements, because It’s a start of a new season and I want to know if this is wishful thinking or if I actually have a shot at this.

Thanks

If you had already done your first placements, the following ones will not affect your sr greatly. They might move you ±100 points, but you can’t achive rank above, no matter how good you play.

Might want to climb during the season.

1 Like

:pensive: hmm

I dont know where is the limit but i once gained +475. It was from gold to plat so i am pretty sure it can be 500 maybe even more. So you can skin whole rank in theory.

Btw it wasnt first placement either.

unless you where boarderline next rank you wont gain much from placemnts past your 1st. went 8w 2l on my highest an gained 75sr

Not sure. From my understanding, probably not? Regardless of whether you’re truly above your current SR, placements use your previous rankings as a baseline. So, if you’re say, masters, and ranked in platinum (alt account, smurf, etc.), you probably still wouldn’t change much with new placements, either above or below, even if there was a large discrepancy between your MMR and SR. There’s this huge misconception that people can rank up dramatically or quickly, but it’s extremely rare, and only in instances where people are ALREADY at a higher rank or lower rank, e.g., GM-level player makes an alt or gold player is boosted into masters. Most of the “good” or best players have been playing for a long time, or have played a LOT.

While anecdotal, I went up 300-400 from placements after being stuck in low-mid plat for a couple seasons. Important to note I never played many games past placements in these seasons, meaning there was no time to adjust my SR to reflect MMR (if it was higher during these times.) Afterward, I quickly climbed to diamond just before the season ended with 65-80% WR on my most played characters and 30-50% on my other characters. I’m only stating this information because it says to me that my MMR didn’t match my SR so I climbed quickly (within 40 games? I think.) Which makes me believe it’s an exception, rather than something that happens commonly.

You can.
I was hardstuck in 2800-ish high plat ish, but after placement, it boosted me up 300sr into diamond.

Too unlikable of a scenario tho, I’d say.

I did an detailed analysis of placements results: Season 9 Placements Analysis, High Variance Explained.

To summarize, your placements result is based off your previous season SR followed by your performance during placements. Unusually large gain/losses only happen for inactive players.

Regardless, if you want to climb, you really need to play more than placements.

If you win all 10 placements, and carry every single match, all golds, a card in every match, lots of elims, high KDR, and single-handedly turn every match into huge steamrolls for your team, then you might climb 400-500 SR (at most) if you’re in a low tier. More typical is that your SR will adjust within about 100-200 points from where you ended last season.

So basically I should just give up climbing because I usually play placements and play a few games here and there in a seasons.

Do you really expect to climb if you only play a few games? You can’t “give up on climbing” when you never actually tried.

you can climb using only placements but it will be crazy slow and you’d need to consistently win 9 or 10 games.

One season I finished 3100 and the next I placed 3450 (+350) after 6-4 placements. But then once I did placements on a silver account and went 10-0 but only got +200 ish. The highest I’ve seen in normal comp was +400.

In competitive Lucioball I finished 2460 S1, and S2 I placed 2950 (+490). I don’t know if Lucioball uses the same placement logic as comp so this may not be possible in normal comp.

So really I would expect the best case scenario to be that you place one rank higher than you ended.

this is not true. players that outperform can move at least 200-300 points. I’ve done that much 2-3 times now. you can also fall a couple hundred too

edit: oh someone already mentioned it’s possible to move more

I didn’t give up. I’m saying should I just give up.

I don’t really get to play anymore like I used to.

when kabaji did his unranked to GM he got placed low plat and it took him around 40 matches of carrying just to get to diamond. he was flexing but even then he was mainly outperforming everyone on the team as you would imagine for a t500 player. so it shows that you can’t just zip up the ranks unless you are perhaps a GM DPS and go dps full trihard.

On an alt account I went from 2300 to 2850 losing 9/10 games with hanzo but with all golds and low death count each game.