Hanzos new sonic arrow buff makes widows ult useless

Can you guys PLEASE include links when talking about changes/Patch notes/whatever new happens?

I’ll do it for now: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/can-we-please-get-a-sneak-peek-at-the-new-hanzo/49870/48

6 Likes

How much is the radius reduced? Is it even a buff?

And Widow just needs some bug fixes, I feel she’s in a good spot right now. Her ult is actually really good.

I assume OP is taking the changes in aggregate. Hanzo, even as is, has a peek-and-poke advantage over Widow at mid-range:

1. He can do true pre-fire
  2. He has a wallhack that is difficult to detect
  3. His crit box is ~50% covered by his bow/arm
  4. His movement speed is higher than Widows when both are charging their shots

One of the big changes he is getting is another increase to his projectile speed, which increases his effectiveness against Widow. If he now has more up time on wallhacks, those two changes together are kind of a big deal. This thread is the first I’ve heard of the Sonic Arrow change, though.

I’m not saying I agree Widow needs changes, or that Hanzo now bodies her, but, I don’t think OP means Widow is only good for hacks. Objectively, most of the time her ult is just a pause button anyway.

All that said, if you fix Hanzo’s broken crit box, I don’t have any complaints, myself.

5 Likes

maybe they can make her ult last longer? or maybe allow her to see enemies traps and turrets when she uses infra-sight!

2 Likes

Its just not the same when discussing a routine medium CD ability versus an ultimate. Imagine that another character had a version of dead eye that maxed out at two targets on a 15s CD. That’s a more similar comparison, Flash Bang is not his ultimate.

Edit: I just want to add that I don’t think its a major deal. Infra-sight is a good ability, but I’ve long been frustrated with how much more available Sonic Arrow is versus it. If I could trade Infra-Sight away entirely for “Sonic Shot” on Widow, I’d take it and just live without an ultimate.

The only real advantage of Infrasight is that it is obvious, and thus can delay a push by 15s.

2 Likes

For the OP.

This is interesting. I dont think Widow needs anything, I think it could just make them work together even better.

1 Like

i dont think theyed get rid of infra-sight since it really helps her with her sniping. but maybe they can buff her in different ways

1 Like

Hanzo will be the utility sniper while widow is more deadly and more reliable due to being hitscan.

Having them work together will be a nightmare at higher skill levels.

1 Like

TBH, you get widow not for her ult. You get her because she can quite literally one-shot 200 hp heroes consistently at long range, and take a solid chunk of hp from tanks, as well as being an absolute menace in giving pressure to the enemy.

1 Like

She can do 300 damage at full charge with a headshot, and is hitscan. Hanzo does 250 max damage with a projectile that has falloff. Widow will likely still be better at longer ranges, but maybe we’ll finally have a choice between two snipers instead of an actual sniper - widow, and a close range sniper - Hanzo.

1 Like

If by falloff, you mean effected by gravity. He doesn’t have damage falloff.

2 Likes

The ‘delete’ button would be a start.

Infra-sight is essentially a ‘make the whole enemy team more cautious for 15 seconds’ button.

1 Like

widow ult can pretty powerful since it can stop ambushes and she can get it back pretty fast with a few headshots. the reason its not flashy is that widow herself does alot of damage so they balance that out by give her a less flashy ult. she also has many sprays with her wearing it and she uses it in the alive “short”. the visor itself goes very well with her spider motif and her Summer skin turns her visor into sunglasses which is hilarious since when she activates her ult, all she does is pull them down which is funny

2 Likes

GET OUT! Really? That’s so clever. Never noticed that before. Haha.

3 Likes

We haven’t even seen the new sonic arrow…already complaints about it…

2 Likes

I wish they would delete Hanzo tbh.

1 Like

But with infrasights everyone on the enemy team at least knows they’re being watched. Not with sonic arrow though, if you dont see the enemy hanzo shooting it or are not close enough to hear his voice line you have no idea he’s watching you cross that small gap. So in away that “surprise” factor gives it a slight advantage

2 Likes

What about giving widow 25 armour for the duration of infrasight? i mean, it is a helmet! :joy:

It’s not much, but it would help with that genji or tracer that’s about to jump you.

1 Like

Who the hell picks widow for her ult lol

1 Like

Hold judgment until you see it.

In the same post, Jeff announced that Sonic Arrow is getting its wall-hack radius reduced. That means that it’ll see less of everyone, unless the arrow is physically embedded into a Hog or Rein.

This could end up being a buff for Widow, whose global presence would start carving out a niche and make it more valuable than Sonic Arrow, despite having a lower overall up-time per match.

Possibly. We have to wait to see it.

1 Like