Handicapping Competitive Play With MMR is Wrong

No, it’s not. Why have ranks then? You should play random people in your rank, and if you are playing very well, then good. Keep playing. Rank up.

Instead, you’re saying that they should cancel good players out on purpose by searching through all players to find an equal. So, for that player… that same rank everyone else is playing… is harder? Let the worse players just have normal games. Make it harder on that one guy who’s playing better?

If that’s the case, then just get rid of the ranks. They mean nothing, if the game is going to change the difficulty of them based around your play.

1 Like

you do realize you are not the only one with a rank and people with similar ranks should play in the same games?

yes that’s EXACTLY what RANKING means. sorting players by skill, leading to EQUAL PLAYERS BEING AT EQUAL RANKS!

They should just ditch the MMR/Matchmaking. Just let these factors e.g. influence who you are playing against:

1. Rating
  2. Latency/ping
  3. FPS

If some sort of matchmaking is needed then they should try to match:

1. DPS
  2. Tanks
  3. Supports
    in that order or that is how I think anyways.
2 Likes

Wrong six gold’s and six gold’s game. Easy. That’s how it should have been since the beginning.

Six 2000s vs Six 2499s. Easy. Golds vs golds, right?

Wow, such eloquence.

You do realize the inference here is to the fact that you can group up, before queue, in a group that is 1000SR apart. But I guess that went over your head.

1 Like

Ranking, generally, is interpreting where you stand. Hence Rankings.

Being put up against someone to artificially give you a “equal chance to win” each game goes against the meaning of ranked.

I am good so I rank up, against my visible peers I am better so I naturally rank.

With the system making even matches: I am good so I must prove it against how good I am playing to rank up.

Kinda round about circle there.

1 Like

LOL IKR. Matching based on ranks rather than MMR is a brilliant idea.

Although it could be even worse. You don’t lose gold until you’ve been <2000 for five matches.

Let’s assume an average of 24 SR per loss. You can get to 1904 and still be gold.

Six 1904s vs six 2499s. Close one. I dunno who to bet on.

Good to know, thank you. I’m curious about your second point…the game is actually adjusting damage values for handicapping now? How long has this been going on?

Yes, my friend. This game is too evil and it have been proved many many time it is so. Blizz controls everything and it’s only big interest is cash of your wallet.

Have you ever clicked on the player and see blood gushing out but no damage made? This is all part of their algorithm, to prevent us from ever reaching our goal. I discovered all this long ago and this is a fact, my friend.

– How did I do, MHz?

if you played at all recently you’d know the number of times this is occurring isn’t reflective of people grouping up. this is happening because the match maker is doing the best it can to manage the issues 2-2-2 has caused.

furthermore you have to be within 1000 SR to group and lately i’ve seen mid platinums on the same team as low silvers.

as others have stated … imagine tiger woods losing a masters tournament to someone with a 60 handicap. while my example is extreme, that is what this system allows. higher MMR players aka higher skill players are thrown into games where they’re losing to lower skill players.

2 Likes

I think you misunderstand my stance. I do not like Handicap >.>

2 Likes

the part prefaced by “as others have stated” … literally wasn’t directed at you.

A lot of players are tired of being expected to carry so often.

It’s like if YOU don’t win it, you lose it. The team will always fail.

Genji and Doom destroying our team. I’m like “I know what to do” and i bring out Torb, kill them BOTH. Finally, whew. Except… i couldn’t ALSO be on the payload.

Our idiot tanks were chasing people around the map while the enemy pushes the payload.

I guess i have to counter to kill both dps that gave us problems all game, AND TANK. Or i lose.

I feel this is due to handicapping. Because when i bought a new account, the good players were there… for a while. Until it was no longer fair to group me up with them.

You know what actually would be fair? To stop handicapping the matches.

Btw, everyone i’ve ever played with has quit this game for that reason.

3 Likes

That’s exactly it! You are guaranteed to get this feeling at some point in your Overwatch career, if you are an experienced player with FPS skills worth a damn. And Blizzard would gaslight you by completely hiding the fact of handicapping in Competitive Overwatch.

Yupper!

1 Like

played a match yesterday in gold. enemy had a plat dps who was master on tank role. obviously he throwed to play with his pal (also plat).

the enemy team had also two silvers.

you see, a typical „gold“ game has nothing to do with being gold at all.

would post a picture but i can‘t do it here.

1 Like

yeah the average team SR was still ±50 of your team’s SR

team game etc.

and yes putting a silver in a team to balance out a plat may not be the best way to do it, but what if the silver grouped with a plat? where would you put them?

in a gold game? a plat game or a silver game?

1 Like

ehh dont let people group up with more than 250 SR difference?

1 Like

MMR means that if I’m on my high plat account, I will usually see high diamonds or masters on the opposing team. Usually the high diamond or master in question is mirroring my role and hero pool, but sometimes if I’m paired with a tank we get put against two very synchronized tanks and that’s very awkward.

2 Likes

Yeah because a good system would make the games unbalanced to assure as many steamroll games as possible.

1 Like