Hackers on PS4? I have no other explanation!

I just got Overwatch for PS4 earlier this week and have been playing it every day. I noticed something strange happening and I have no explanation for it. I’ve watched lots of videos and did a lot of practice to ‘git gud’ with Overwatch. So, I think I somewhat know what I’m doing. Here’s what happens:

I’ll enter a Quick Play match. I’ll choose whatever character - usually D Va, Widow, Wrecking Ball, Reaper, of some DPS character. (I’ve played healers, too. But I spend my time healing and augmenting damage instead of shooting in those matches). So, I get an enemy in my sights and I unload a full clip at them. Their health bar is red - no armor, no buffs, no healer nearby - and my shots do absolutely NO damage to them whatsoever. I know the shots are connecting because I’ll hear the sound that confirms it. But, still no damage! Then, they turn their sights on me and take me out in 3-5 shots - even with D Va’s shield up.

Now, this doesn’t happen with EVERY enemy. I do take out different enemies. But, that’s usually after someone has already damaged them. I have been averaging less than 5 eliminations per match!

What the heck is going on?? How is it my shots don’t affect them when they don’t have buffs, they’re not in a healing area, they’re not being actively healed, and they have no armor - just a red life bar??? I don’t get it. It’s making the game seriously frustrating for me and I’m already considering selling it. I’m just getting tired of feeling like my character is made of rice-paper and my damage is nerfed!

This used to happen to me a lot when I had really bad internet (1mbs download speed) thankfully I have 100mbs now and it seems to have gone away.

I would check to see if you have packet loss on upload by logging in to your router and checking it there, it could also be you have ping spikes. Do you get laggy or “muddy” movement when you move or do your shots seem to double when this happens?..

I know some people think it’s possible but, you can not hack or cheat in any way possible besides a glitch on consoles. Unless this is PS3 or Xbox 360 and the PS3 is Jailbroken or the Xbox is a JTag you aren’t gonna do any sort of hacks/mods lol.

I’m gonna chock this up as connectivity issues. Let us know if you do have any lag spikes or packet loss and I can do my best to help.

2 Likes

It’s OW’s way of telling you that your internet is pretty bad. It means you have packet loss, so it doesn’t get the information of you hitting someone.

1 Like

Packet loss, happened to me until I upgraded my internet, it went from CRAZY rubber-banding to a “game freeze” (characters stuck in walking animation, unfreezes and actions are inputted, which is horrible for timing abilities)

After I upgraded, I get consistent 150-170mbps download speeds so now I rarely ever lag, no ethernet cable either :stuck_out_tongue:

I have 300Mbps Internet. So, it’s definitely not that. When I test my speed to PSN it’s 200+ Mbps consistently. So that rules out lagging, etc.

Go into the options menu and turn on every network feature.
You might have higher ping than you think.

Latency: 50-60ms, Ind:20ms

Round trip time? RTT.

What’s that and how do I test for it on PS4?

It should show up with the other network stats

In the game. Not in the ps4 menu or such.
You go to options and turn on network stats.
Should be in the first menu site.

When you then go in a game, it shows up in the top left corner.

There are no other network stats. Just those two on the top left of the screen when I choose to display them.

Should be under advanced settings or something like that.

Make sure you manually enable EVERY stat individually.

Those were the 2 numbers.
50ms Latency, and Ind:20

The ONLY 2 stats available under ‘Show Network Stats’ are Latency and Interpolation delay.

So, it’s 50ms Network Latency and 20ms Interpolation Delay. No RTT or anything else.

It’s under more settings.
You need to expand the menu.

I was actually wondering about this myself yesterday, shots are just going THROUGH people even if I clearly hit them on my screen. Must be a new hack going on about or something idk.

1 Like

There are no more settings. The only other ones on PS4 that are connected to the Network are under a different part of the menu and are listed as Limit Server Send Rate and Limit Server Receive Rate. That’s it.

Nasibihc: My network seems fine. I don’t get lag in the games - if at all. But, my shots actually connect with people (you can hear it at least, unless it’s going through them like what’s happened to you.

EDIT: Replacing Ping and RTT with Latency

No RTT display.

The only expanded settings are the ones I described above. And both are enabled which gives me the display on the upper left of the Latency and Interpolation Display.

I’ve been looking all over the place and haven’t found anything else about it.

And ALSO, I’m on Ethernet - not WiFi. I would never play a game on WiFi.

I have 60-90 ms latency.
And 35 or less ind.

Unless i play against a zarya shots that hit will hit.
Given that the player i am shooting at also has good network.

You also need to look at said stats for the exact moment you experience problems.

Checked Latency and it’s staying at 60ms. Played Quick Play. Got lucky with some decent teams. Got killed a few times. BUT, I ended up with ‘Play of the Game’ for the first time!! I was taking people out with D Va. Got a lot of eliminations! :slight_smile:

I’ll keep the Network Display on all the time now just to be sure.

I found one suspicious event and sent the info to Blizzard. Next time it happens, I’ll record it. The recording on PS4 is glitchy tho. I recorded my ‘Play of the Game’ and it only got 2 seconds of video!

EDIT: CAUGHT ONE red handed! Took video and screenshot of the user’s name. Reported to Blizzard. This team was doing this as soon as they started losing objectives. I got one of them on video doing it.