Hacked Through Ice Block

The sombra hack is bugged. I was playing Mei, and I heard the hack and quickly ice blocked. Now, anyone who plays Mei knows that there is always a latency favor the shooter. A roadhog hook may grab her the first fraction of a second after blocking. But when that happens, it means the server read the inputs and determined that roadhog hooked you before you ice blocked. In this case, however, I got hacked while inside the ice block. It’s not like the server read I was out of the ice block, and decided sombra hacked me before I hit it- that would have cancelled the block. I was IN the ice block, so it registered me as entering it, which should have made me invulnerable to the hack. But with the bloody buffer, and how fast hack is, it’s ridiculous. And it made a difference because I had ult in the last fraction of a meter on defence. In times past, breaking line of sight was too easy in 0.8 seconds. In 0.65, that 0.1 seconds makes a big difference. Much bigger than in 0.8 seconds.

But regardless of whether blizzard acknowledges hack is a little too fast now, at the very least Mei should not be hackable through ice block. She’s supposed to be immune to all status effects once she’s in there

8 Likes

It’s a bug with mei.

Same goes for things like hook or flashbang. Occasionally you can get stunned and have your iceblock on cooldown.

Old and really annoying bug, hopefully that fix blizzard is appaerently working on comes soon.

3 Likes

Well, cryofreeze does have a cast time, but a verrry short one. it’s like, 0.01s i think. The hook and flashbang are related to favor-the-shooter logic, and are intended. But the fact that I was hacked after I registered as being successfully in the block does not follow that logic.

Even with all the favour the shooter thing.

If you get stunned/hooked/hacked out of iceblock, it should reset it’s cooldown.

Getting hooked out of your iceblock and then not even being able to use it again, does not seem very fair. You got a cooldown on one of your abilitys because of errors in the netcode, not because you made a mistake. So you should get it refunded.

That’s not an error. It’s intended in those situations where she is knocked out. Basically, it counts as an ability shutdown if the favor-the-shooter decides to stop her from entering ice block.

It’s not just a Mei thing. I’ve been getting hacked mid-Recall as well. Tracer’s supposed to be invulnerable during that time, too. Can even time it right and use it to negate a D.Va bomb.

So yeah, that’s annoying. I’m assuming since Hack got its time decreased, it’s even more favored by “favor the shooter,” and it leads to some really odd situations like that.

1 Like

I don’t play tracer so I didn’t know that.

Does anyone know if this could also nail doomfist in meteor strike?

EDIT:
I was just in another Sombra thread, and yes, she can in fact hack doomfist doing meteor strike according to another player. Further, I’ve seen Zarya hacked after bubbling. Blizzard, fix the things which are supposed to be counter play to hack.

Yeah, see this is the part I find annoying. It’s not that Sombra got buffed - she needed it and I’m ok with that. What’s infuriating is when I “do” react fast enough to counter play the hack … but get punished anyway.

Not cool, Blizz. :frowning:

Aside from this bug against invulnerabilities, can’t it be agreed that the 0.1 second buffer was in an age where hack took much longer? The buffer is 1/6 of the time you may normally have to react, which was already an insanely short time period.

It’s a bug with the hack in general, sometimes I can be getting hacked by another sombra and transolate out of there, successfully do it, but come out the other end hacked

No it isn’t.

Mei shouldn’t be able to get pulled/stunned out of Cryo-Freeze.

Really? I always assumed it was intended, because on such occasions where I die to this, the kill cam shows no ice block whatsoever. Does that mean ice block should favor the defender the whole time?

At any rate, I do still think this is a separate bug because it also extends to other abilities that are supposed to make you invulnerable, like Particle Barriers, Meteor Strike, and Recall.

Mei’s Cryo-Freeze should be favor-the-defender, just like Reaper’s wraith form and Moira’s fade, but it isn’t. Also, Roadhog’s hook has somehow one of the highest netcode priority in the game allowing him to interrupt some favor-the-defender abilities.

Mei, Roadhog and even teammates can see the Cryo-Freeze dissappear on their screen.
Proof:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/mei-can-be-pulled-out-of-cry-freeze-by-roadhogs-hook/4245?u=bloggerman-2672

Sombra’s hack doesn’t get immediately interrupted when Sombra’s hack LoS is blocked, just like how Symmetra’s beam keeps attacking you as soon if you are out of her sight.

This, along with Mei’s Cryo-Freeze not being favor-the-defender, allows Sombra to keep hacking Mei in Cryo-Freeze.

1 Like

Thank you for the valuable info. So, they’re working on Mei in general for her specific case, but the original post is still not quite satiated by the resources you’re providing. Part of it is solved by the known bug of Mei not favoring the defender. But what about the other heroes affected by this, and the fact that it is hacking through invulnerability?

I believe this is an issue with the hack mechanism. It has a small time period after losing the sight of the enemy that it will proceed hacking. This needs to be removed.
Especially with the fast hacking buff, because right now does it not has a lot of counterplay except shooting Sombra.

(I believe Sombra could hack a bubbled Zarya as well if Zarya bubbled herself during a hack.)

1 Like