GUILDS SYSTEM - Idea for next permanent game feature

Hey there,

I’ve been playing Overwatch since season 4 (I started on Console) and have since loved the game. It has brought me so much fun and joy and I love playing with my friends so I would like to thank the Overwatch team for being so awesome.

I know we just had Brigitte which is nice and all. She’s probably one of the most innovative and well-rounded heroes in the game (or at least I think), but what about adding a new permanent in-game feature?

I’m going to go into huge detail of how I think this should work, so enjoy.

GUILDS

This is a really popular idea that a lot of people have been requesting for a while. I think it would bring more life to this game if there was a way of creating a group (guild) and being able to add people and do stuff together. Here’s how I think it should work:

• You are allowed to create your own guild/join a guild whenever you like.
  • There is a maximum of 100 players allowed in one guild.
  • To stop people spamming guild creations, it could cost 1000 credits to make a guild, or you have to disband your current guild to make a new guild.
  • There is a guild chat section, where you can type messages to your guild. Also, while you’re in a game, you should be able to press tab after opening the chat bar and you should be able to select guild chat (the same way you alternate between team chat and game chat)
  • There is a ranking system in guilds. The ranks are:
    • Recruit (This is the default rank given to anyone who has just joined a guild. They don’t get any permissions apart from of course being able to use the guild chat as well as all the other guild things (see lower down list)
    • Guardian (Recruits can be promoted to this rank. Guardians can kick recruits (but not other guardians/higher ranks))
    • Commander (This is kind of like the Administrator of the guild. Commanders can promote Recruits to Guardian, as well as demote Guardians to Recruits (if they have been naughty :wink: ). There should also be an option (for the leader to decide only) to choose if Commanders can change the Guild’s name and icon. If it is enabled, they will have full Admin permissions pretty much (so if you are to enable this setting, only give friends you trust Commander).
    • Leader (There can only be one leader for each guild. That is the person who made the guild. The leader has full control over the guild. He/she can promote, demote or kick anyone in the guild, as well as customise the guild in whichever way they like.)
  • Guild Banner - the guild banner can be custom made by combining a background, a second layer, a picture, and maybe something else, not really sure. An alternative to making a custom banner would be to use a player icon that you own to fill the banner. I think both will suit different player’s wants.
  • Guild Experience - Players in a guild will earn experience for their guild. After a game, if you are in a guild, you will earn experience for your guild equal to one-tenth of the amount of personal experience you gained. (e.g., you finish a QP game and earn 1840 exp. from that game. That would give you (1840 / 10) 184 experience for your guild. I think to level up a guild, the amount of experience required for each level should increase by 1,000, capping at 25,000 for each level (so level 1 to 2 would require 2,000 exp, 2 to 3 would require 3,000 exp. level 24 to 25 would require 25,000 exp, and all levels above level 25 would also require 25,000 guild exp. It may work better being higher or lower than this number because remember, you can have up to 50 members in a guild. Also, as well as the experience bar at the top of the guild window, a border similar to that of a player (bronze possibly with stars if above level 100) will surround the guild banner).
  • Guild seasons/perks. A guild season should last two months, and follow a similar pattern to competitive, but with no offseason. At the beginning of a new guild season, every guild’s level will be reset to level 1. Reaching a certain level/milestone of that season will provide everyone in your guild a perk. For example:
    • Guild Level (GL) 25: Unlocks Guild Battles (see below)
    • GL50: Bonus coins from duplicates and coins in Loot box.
    • GL75: +5% personal exp. from all game modes (the bonus 5% exp. you get does not add to guild exp.)
    • GL100: Recieve a special player icon and spray with the guild season number, showing that your guild reached level 100 for guild season 1.
  • Guild Battles - this would be a guild specific competitive mode.
    • Every player in the guild has their own separate “Guild SR”
    • A guild battles season has the same schedule as the regular competitive season.
    • Battles are made up of several game modes chosen at random by the system. The game mode chosen is the same for every guild in that region. (every European guild will have the same game mode to matchmake in)
    • The game mode changes every two weeks, and it could be:
      • 1v1 Limited Duel
      • 3v3 Lockout Elimination
      • 4v4 Deathmatch
      • 6v6 (like in normal Competitive)
    • All of the above modes follow a competitive format, and you must be level 25 or above to participate.
    • There is also a Guild Quick Battle, where you can choose any of the four modes to play at any time in a casual, non-competitive format. (There is no level requirement for this)
    • I think having several possible modes instead of just 6v6 would be nice and it would keep this fresh, and if 1v1 was picked it would also allow smaller guilds to participate, however, it might be a simpler option to just have the regular 6v6 mode.
    • If 1v1 isn’t the selected Guild Wars game mode, players can invite other guild members to join them. There should be a button at the top of the “Guild Chat” section (that I talked about earlier) next to a display of what game mode is featured, saying “Battle”. Clicking on this should send a message to every online player in the guild, inviting them to join you for a guild battle.
    • Once enough players have joined/accepted, matchmaking will begin. Players will need to do 10 placement matches before they are ranked.
    • Guild Battles should primarily focus on teamwork, which is why through all ranks, there is no MMR based rating. You gain/lose a fixed amount, no matter your personal performance.
    • Your guild has its own SR, which is an average of the top 10 rated players in that guild. There should be a top 500 guild leaderboard, and the guilds that reach top 500 get the top 10 players in the guilds a top 500 guild player icon and spray to show off.
    • Ranks are the same amount of SR as in competitive, and you get the same amount of competitive points for winning, drawing and your end of season rewards too.
  • Guild Loot Box - Every 3 days, there is a guild loot box, but you aren’t just given it for free. To collect this, your guild must complete a mission. Missions could include, but are not limited to:
    • Deal ### hero damage
    • Block ### damage
    • Get ### headshot kills
    • Eliminate ### players
  • The number ### varies depending on how many people in your guild. For example, the first mission. If you only have 10 players in your guild, the system will detect that, and the first mission will be 200,000 hero damage, whereas if your guild has the full 50 players, it will be something like “deal 500,000 damage”. Generally, it will be easier with more players, but it should still be completable in a small guild with this system.
  • The guild contributes to this mission just by playing. For example, if the mission is to “Heal 500,000 health”, and one player in a guild heals 5,000 in one game, he has then contributed to that mission.
  • When/if the mission is completed before the 3 day period is over, everyone who contributed to the mission (basically anyone who was active during the mission (because it’s not like you have to go out of your way to contribute to the missions)) will automatically receive the loot box.

SUMMARY

Overall, a guilds system would be a great place to gather players and work together, after all, Overwatch is a team game, so it’s surprising that such a system hasn’t already been introduced. If I didn’t make something clear during this thread, which is easy to do, because I went into such complexity, please comment and I will answer your question and include the missing info in this thread. Also, I am not a game designer, so I do appreciate my way of running things may not be the best, so tell me if there is something that should be changed. Thank you for reading my thread, please like this if you think this is a good idea. Thanks and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Seanado

100 Likes

Woah this is a really well thought out post! I’d like it but I’m out of likes right now xD

The only thing is

I see a lot of people on the fourms against the mission idea. Because, for example, you have 6 people on the same team who want to play support because that’s their only mission left.

Also do you think guild loot boxes would have special items, or regular in game items😊?

Also I’m not sure how this would work on console (though I still love the idea)! I feel like they’d have to limit the chat on there so it’s only available during skirmish or when you’re on the menu. Because typing on consoles take forever.

Overall I really love this idea and I’d love to see it added to the game! I think it would give people more of an incentive to play the game. Plus it would be fun to have a huge guild of people to work with.

3 Likes

Just curious why bar players from Creating or joining a guild until they’ve reached the level 25 benchmark? For consistency…?

I can understand the gated entry to competitive; don’t play until you’ve gotten your feet wet, cool. For this, it prevents newcomers from engaging with the community. Wouldn’t we want to encourage engaging with the community?

Overall well posted!

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! Yes I understand that problem with the missions system. I think the best way to stop it from being too much of a problem is to make a diverse list of missions. The more different missions there are, the less likely it is that someone will come across a player with the same mission (from a different guild), but apart from that I dont know what to suggest, maybe the guild loot box missions are staggered for every guild. The times they start at aren’t shared (its just whenever the guild was made)

For the guild chat section, as console currently cant use game text chat, they would only be able to text outside of a game, in the guild menu. It sucks but theres no way around the tedious texting system of XBox and PS4 :frowning: #FeelsBadMan

1 Like

I love it :slight_smile: I would love a guild system for at least making friends and finding a group to play with BUT I love the idea of guild battles.
This is so well thought out. I really hope they’d do something like this :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I still like the missions idea, I just wanted to say that I’ve seen a few against that idea :slight_smile:
Us poor console players xD too bad there’s no quick text chat options so far. But I still like the text chat idea!

The reason I wouldn’t let players join until level 25 is because the main aspect of the guild (or at least for me) is the competitive guild battles mode. In Overwatch, all competitive modes are banned for anyone lower than level 25, probably because of people at those levels (that aren’t smurfs) being new and maybe not understanding much about the game.

If I find that more people find this illogical I’ll remove this from my idea. Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

My only thought is, that despite competitive being the “main attraction”, there still could be a lot of guilds that queue together for QP.

It’s really just a community platform, in my eyes, so to join I feel it shouldn’t be necessary to be level 25, but maybe to participate in the competitive portions sure, level 25 still

I do like the idea of having a guild system in Overwatch - as you said in your post, it would be a great way for players to group up and work as a team in Quick Play, Competitive or Arcade.

Good point - I play a lot of competitive, which is why I forgot about QP. Thanks for reminding me. I’ll add it to the OP

2 Likes

I really hope this will be implemented in the game, or at least will be noticed by a dev, because beside the development time, theres not a single bad thing about it.

Thanks! We’ll only know if it’s added :wink:

1 Like

I really don’t understand why devs seems to not like guilds/clans or why this isn’t already in the game. I don’t know if we are going to ever get it. :confused:

1 Like

I really like the detailed layout that you made in your post. I believe that it should be added to the game for a more fun and competitive experience.

2 Likes

One year and counting.

us.battle. net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753198866#post-4

2 Likes

We should. It would absolutely, 100% fit into this team-based game

2 Likes

Specially on console where I am playing I feel it’s going to let us be able to form our group we can communicate with everyday, now I’m just a lone wolf with over 1 year of playing, it’s hard to find like minded people if we can’t chat and almost no one use voice, in a clan at least you got to know your allies and collaborate.

I have missed that post last year, thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

We need to actually get an opinion from Blizzard regarding the possibility of a guild system.

There’s no way that they don’t know by now how badly a lot of people want this implemented.

4 Likes

Yeah, even just an idea of where on their priority list a feature like this lies - that would be very nice

1 Like

A brilliant post. My main wish for a guild system is so that after suffering a ton of games with silent throwers and trolls I don’t have to come here and create bad-tempered, fed-up posts asking for a guild system so that Overwatch can be more fun, social and kind.

1 Like