GPU Usage At 90-100% In Hero Select Screen

I have a GTX 1070 and Intel I7 8700k and 16GB DDR4 Ram

When I’m in the hero select screen my GPU goes up to 100% usage and my PC fans go crazy, yet while I’m in-game in the middle of a team fight, my GPU usage is under 30%

I record while playing and because the GPU usage goes up to 100% in the hero select screens, the recording in the hero select screen is at like 1fps and very laggy, but while in the actual team fights etc, the footage is perfect.

All my graphics settings are on Low so is there any other specific setting I can change in-game or somewhere else that will fix this?

If you have the time, you might try a full uninstall and reinstall of the game client.

Otherwise check the advanced tips in my guide here:

I have the same problem, and its only in the character selection screen. It’s like someones suddenly turned my game graphics onto epic mode, my gpu temp goes up by 20c.
I have the battlenet app and overwatch on the same drive as windows and an NVMe SSD drive so it cant be drive problems.

1 Like

I am having the same issue. I have a RX 6800 XT and everything is fine until i get to the character select screen. Almost like its loading the whole game all at once only during that time. I dont want to limit my fps to 60 if the whole reason i got the card was to get more fps.

It’s normally,the hero selecting screen before the match start cost more GPU usage because GPU need to render the background of the heroes

It’s a game problem, I had a GTX 1060 6gb in another config same problem, I had a 6800 same problem and now an RX 6900 XT still the same!

I think it has to do with optimization in this kind of situation, it’s not done very well.

Same issue here. It has nothing to do with being normal. This also happens on the screen before the “Play Of The Game”. It’s just developers not knowing how to code properly. No offense but it’s true. I’m a dev with 12+ years of development including game dev.

1 Like

Oh and BTW it caused my GPU to go offline causing Ovewatch crashing with “Your rendering device has been lost.” 3 times during the beginning of ranked games causing 8 hours of ban. TY developers for being totally incompetent while developing your game.

1 Like