Gotta admit it's mighty dps dependent in the low ranks gold and lower

I agree absolutely with your assessment.

I was a bit hasty to dole out a judgement on it.

I’ve been playing nothing but DPS since role queue, mid 22xx, and whenever i lose it’s typically because of the tanks either not being aggressive or sticking on Sigma when we’re defending.

or bc they suck at sigma

1 Like

Yes. To nearly all of what you say, except the ‘Elo hell’ part.

Proper DPS and knowing about counterpicks is most definitely an issue in low ranks. Case in point. I was Ana in High Silver recently, and asked for peels vs a tracer/genji that were eating our backline. In response of asking for peels, I was given a ‘What are peels?’ over both Chat and VC. Both players were 100% serious.

You can carry a game all you like in low ranks. Consistently. Doesn’t mean you’re going to climb though, as last time I checked? Overwatch is a game based around teamwork. And if you consistently run into random players that have no idea what teamwork is?

Yeah. Weird dynamic.

2 Likes

Solution: Play Zen more. He’s fun anyway.

Unless you actually carried the game to win, in which case, that was the right call. It happens.

1 Like

i’m with you on this one the new roleQ is making ELO hell a alot more felt for support mains because of the lack of meaningful impact they can have on the enemy team if your own teammates can’t take advantage of the opening you give them losing means you drop in SR and keep getting worse and worse teammates its less than ideal

that being said tanks and DPS also face also this problem, but they are not as helpless as, tanks can push up or use ults to power thru and DPS has a large pool of heroes to fit the situation and can have drastic effect on the enemy team.

the supports are left giving boosts and heals but is solely dependent on the team to follow thru on it. ELO hell is real and avoiding the problem is not the solution.

1 Like

You play the most OP carry support hero, and can’t carry?

Its you.

2 Likes

Tanks are 60% of the win condition…and people always complain about dps.

You can literally win with 2 bot dps players, if your tanks and supports are better than the enemy tanks and supports.

You cannot carry bot tanks with DPS , unless they are wildly misplaced (500+SR).

5 Likes

You can carry harder in gold with tanks. In silver its much worse because the supports don’t support anybody 80% of the time.

Just find a good support partner that doesn’t tilt easy. You can climb out of silver easy.

1 Like

I had no problem climbing out in the old system.

It’s the new system.

It might just need settling out of the people’s true Sr and some learning curve with sigma.

people complain about rank etc…

you don’t rank up by playing smart

you rank up by playing like everyone else in the match is trash that can’t contest you

one tricking tracer from bronze to plat, the only “smart” play i would get away with is taking someone 100-20 and just letting someone else on my team kill them.

any other time i had to play full r-tard. 20k damage. 6 KD. had to be my own distraction because tanks don’t know how to press w and junkrat players are allergic to shooting barriers unless it’s a zarya bubble.

you can’t just do your part to rank up in ladder. you don’t just get a free pass for doing what you are supposed to do. you have to do more than that. you have to do everything you can.

1 Like

While I agree, he is fun, I don’t know why people would play him and really think they would rank up as Zen.

His nerf patches ago to his Orb Travel speed really hurt him. Now he gets trans 12% slower? When it took ages to get it before the change? Add in how his discord is now also lackluster at 25%?

Dunno. I get in the hands of JJonak he’s an unstoppable Juggernaut, but oddly enough? I’m not a Korean Teen with no Job beyond playing Overwatch for ‘eleventy’ hours a week. Ergo, in the hands of the uber elite with nothing but time to master him? I’d rather moira/ana, pull 15k+ heals in 2 rounds, and call it a day.

One of the points of RQ and role based SR is to deal with people who are dead weight in their brackets. This cannot be done without these people playing games and de-ranking, this all takes time. It seems like most people were expecting everyone to be aligned accurately immediately.

The game needs data in order to do this, and you get data by playing in matches.

No matter what system you play in, you’re still going to run into inflexible players that get countered. Work on your own game, you can’t work on theirs.

1 Like

Lol. So only lucky people go up in rank. Got it.

2 Likes

To add to this… for some reason the matchmaker went super wonky the last time i played and gave us a mid master hammond player against a team full of plat opponents. That hammond wreaked so much havoc in the enemy lines that they didnt get a single coordinated push all game. So yeah, it doesnt matter what role you are playing, if you are better than the rank you are in, you will absolutely control thw game

I think people that find they’re significantly lower rated than before were probably kinda lucky in their games and so they maintained their rank a lot by having good teammates. The actual comparative stats dropped them closer to where they probably should have been, and so people complain.

The REAL problem is when they’re overrated in a role. That’s the big issue.

If you are playing at a higher level you will climb to a higher level. Regardless of role. If you the dps landing KEY picks you will win. If you are the support keeping your team alive through the team fight. You will win. If you are the tank, taking space and allowing your team breathing room. You will win. you wont win 100% of games… but you will win more than you lose.

There is no doubt some of that. What about pulling down people with you.

You see in my case.

It really could be the dps.

It could be me.

It could be both of us.

Both prior seasons I have significant ana time and have generally maintained 500 to 1000 Sr more than I am now.

So there’s prior data that just doesn’t correlate. And it’s not just a lucky season. It’s multiple. So that would go ahead having lucky teammates for that extended period.

1 Like

In the long run 2-2-2 will help and you will climb. Team comps do matter even in silver if they are really bad - and they used to be terrible regularly making it impossible to heal properly. Now tho that won’t be the case. You will get bad teams, suboptimal team comps, leavers and tilters but you won’t get the horrific comps that were an immediate loss in the spawn room. This can only help all of the healers. Just having 2 tanks and another healer ALL game. It is great.

So in the end it will help you climb. The DPS role is still very important in lower ranks but I think 2-2-2 makes it a bit harder for them because the enemy now has shields and healing. Before role queue they could just farm the enemy.

I think it would be worth giving the new system time, plus the beta season counts for nothing so you might place back where you were before when the proper season begins.

Maybe it was actually the old system that was bad. Because it boosted u where you didn’t belong.

You call me a trash widow, but I clicked on your head :wink:

-𝓐𝓵𝓮𝔁𝓞𝓷𝓮

1 Like

Glad your surgery went well.

Just to preface that I belong at 2300 sr right now as issues with mechanics and hero depth. Not blaming dps for not climbing, just pointing out how random quality is.

However, I do agree with other posters that dps matter more at lower elo.

May be a PS4 thing, but I see some absolute dps shockers.

You can barrier tank perfectly, but if your dps run past you to Leeroy Jenkins to their deaths, best you can do is swap to a dive tank to try and back up their crazy plays. A lot of dps are allergic to barriers and don’t use them, ever.

I do respect good dps. I played duo with a friend. Both dps. We got wrecked. Enemy dps utterly destroyed us. We were bad dps for our team.

From the other point of view, had a game on Blizzard World. Our Zarya was lit up like a Christmas tree and melting everybody. And I had silver elims, as Lucio…
And no, I’m not a great Lucio.
I’m watching the Reaper wade in 1v6 and die consistently then blame the Mercy for not keeping him up.

Or the game as tank when my shield was breaking in 2seconds Vs enemy Soldier and Junkrat. Enemy shield is pristine as our Widow and Ashe ping shots off enemy barrier. And they didn’t swap off at all.

Agreed that overall you’ll climb on your own merits. Every team gets crap dps after all.

But at low elo dps definitely rules, on PS4 at least.

Last time I checked queue times, tank and support circa 2 minutes. Dps circa 8 minutes. Still an enormously more popular role.