🛰 Goodman talks about Nerfs and Buffs (Updated with New Video(s) about this Topic. Ironic?)

I understand creating game balance is difficult, but Blizzard goes at it in the most idiotic ways. They never try to fine tune things, preferring instead to go for massive buffs/nerfs and complete mechanic changes. Almost three years since release and we’re still looking at 8ish hero metas. They’ve made absolutely 0 progress.

12 Likes

TBF this all started with Dva and Winston being very overtuned circa S4/S5. At this point it’s a matter of properly creeping the remaining third or so of the roster up to par.

He said they’re looking to see that they’re satisfied with how much each channel hero does. They may leave Zarya as is and buff Winston and Symmetra, who knows.

Wonder if Doomfsit, Orisa, Soldier, and Pharah will get looked at…

1 Like

Will this result in a net damage buff against non armored targets/enemies too? If so, that seems a bit much.

No this only affects how much armor reduces these weapons.

14 Likes

I mean. Honestly. I think its time they reach out to someone else for some help on the hero balance in this game. They are absolutely just destroying it at this point.

The game just isn’t fun anymore.

25 Likes

I still laugh at how they treated Doomfist’s balance.

2 Likes

Any chance you could do it through an official channel next time?

12 Likes

Geoff I have so many unanswered ShadowStep questions. I’d love it if you could just answer one.

• Was ShadowStep slower before launch?
  • Why is it purple now?
  • When did you guys buff the range?

Also tell Jeff to regrow his beard plz.

1 Like

Geoff:

This is literally the worst balance patch so far… and there’s been a ton of bad or questionable changes in the past year. Example: you wanted to make Junk Rat and Pharah less spammy and need more skill. Mission accolomplished. But then you turned around, and made McCree and ESPECIALLY Hanzo way more spammy.

It just doesn’t make any sense.

Now this patch, the OW team just crapped all over every tank player. Except Zarya who apparently is getting buffs now! Like why? People who are already playing tanks are tired of how unfun and tedious the entire role is. Why can it just not be fun to play tanks?

Look, I say a lot of crap and honesty - how poorly thought out the patch is doesn’t surprise me. I’m disappointed in the whole development team for making pretty much every character in the game - ESPECIALLY THE TANKS - more and more unfun/clunky every patch.

It feels pretty unwarranted by now.

I don’t even play OW anymore… its just pretty miserable to play now if you like tanking. I was hoping it would get better but it’s not. It’s just getting worse. As such, I don’t even want to play your game. But I love OW enough to keep posting about it. I kind of wish I could play “OW Classic.” How sad is that?

23 Likes

christ mate why does a video that talks about so little need 12 minutes 23 seconds?

everyone thinks theyre on expert balancer on here :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Now we know the core problem why overwatch will never be balanced.

3 Likes

Balancing a game with a diverse selection of playstyles and kits isn’t nearly as easy as the community thinks it is.
It’s easy to say ‘‘just nerf damage’’ or ‘‘just nerf healing’’ Every small change will have implications on countless things.

10 Likes

Adding Brigitte was the worst decision they ever made with this game. The chaos and overall decaying state of the game for the past year has all been because of her, and they’re still balancing around her a year after.

4 Likes

Dont take an expert to know bringing back spam the hammer was a dumb move.

13 Likes

The guy who thought of that should be fired.

4 Likes

I’d like to know why we’re a year and a half into Mercy’s rework and still haven’t gotten any indication that the developers are remotely aware of where the concerns regarding the hero are.

• “We’re listening.”
  • Proceeds to talk about Mercy’s balance state, not the fact that half of the Mercy playerbase has stopped playing Mercy because she is no longer fun to play.
37 Likes

can you link to the original video rather than a video talking about a video?