“Git Gud” is Toxic

“Git Gud”

BANNED
FINED
4K $

2 Likes

People can tell me how to “git gud” and i will respond with" well then tell me how to “git gud” sir"…short story they don’t help.

1 Like

We kind are wearing masks already (internet), that is why people say and do stuff they would never dare to do to people in person because they would be in trouble for it.

Look, if you say things for the sole purpose of making someone upset, it is toxic! “Git Gud” is never meant in any other way than codecending. If you are defending it, then you may be toxic yourself.

4 Likes

OK for example - people complain tracer has no counters… this is not true. but when you put effort into explaining the fact of the matter with lots of examples and statistics + your own experience, they just tell you that isn’t good enough

sometimes u guys bring the “git gud” on yourselves and it makes no sense to call it toxic because there is no sense in trying to explain anything if you are just going to say that’s wrong after a better player has told you right

I don’t see anything positive in that phrase. But probably that’s just me - for me “GG” after an one sided match is toxic…

3 Likes

In other news: the sky is blue! :wink:

would you prefer ‘step up’?

1 Like

Honestly, there is no other way for people to get how wrong they are unless they are better at the game. People in Bronze don’t have the same experience or views as GM. Bronze can see heroes like Moira as a threat while GM knows how to get around her. Same thing vice versa. Bronze players can say Tracer isn’t a big issue because they don’t see her often, but higher level players see her in ~5% of their games and can see that she is a big deal in the right hands.

Sometimes, you have to tell someone that getting better is their only option. If you can’t aim, then maybe you should “Git gud” and learn how to aim. We even have practice range for that. If people are bad at mechanics that applies to every hero, then maybe they should “git gud” and learn those mechanics.

There’s no real way to articulate anything other than telling them to get better at specific mechanics to counter certain heroes.

Sombra, for example. She is largely countered by good positioning and aim. You can’t tell them to just shoot her head. You would get laughed at because that’s what everyone memes about here.

Tracer is another example. CC shuts her down if you can land it.

Aim and teamwork are critical parts of this game. If you have neither, you cannot succeed.

1 Like

Here it’s used as a insult. Where it comes from, dark souls, it’s used as a saying referring to the face that you have to become better at what you are trying to overcome. The overwatch community has a bad habit of making everything a master remark.

1 Like

you say this as if its toxic every time its used. NO. if used in a negative way then of course. but it could be used sarcastically like if a gold is talking to a gm.

Reductio ad absurdum fallacy

No, it’s not.

By that logic, even “hello” is toxic. Not everything should be nice. Deal with it.

1 Like

smiling makes depressed people sad? in what universe?

in my dark lonely edgy universe

I think players need to be reacquainted with this word: Rationalization

This community and the internet in general, are trying to make it impossible to discern when someone is trying to be harmful or not.

I mean it does kinda give worthwhile cause one of the biggest thing is you need to improve your aim so although the way it is said it is semi decent advice

typically when people say git gud, it is in response to someone being mad at them bc they aren’t playing well, or using a cheesy comp. So its a way to try to stop it from escalating. At least thats what i tell myself as i use scatter arrows to get kills on all tanks

people that say git gud are probably those that sucked at the souls games and got triggered from others tellin em to get gud.

on that note, Darkeater Midir can go eat a fat one

I understand, but it will only ever escalate someone who is already disgruntled. Therein lies another aspect of the term’s toxicity.

1 Like