Getting ult charge while your ult is still active

hammond, ashe, hanzo, torbjorn and tracer can all earn ult charge while their ultimates are still on the field, why? and why would this not apply to someone like symm, or orisa, or ana? what (in game factor) really determines if an ult is okay to charge while its still in play?

2 Likes

The rest are weird but Orisaā€™s reason for not getting ult charge is supercharger amplifies her damage. There was a bug where she did get ult charge from it and it ended up increasing her ult usage dramatically.

Honestly they just need to have a universal rule for it.

1 Like

I think they should change it so that no heroes can gain ult charge while their ult is active, for the sake of consistency.

1 Like

the tracer one is so irrelevant by the time the bomb explodes usually you would have already recalled or blinked which wouldnā€™t even let you take advantage of it

my guess is that nano wall and supercharger are not only very high impact but also would be pretty broken if you could get them quickly

whereas mines goo pulse dragons and bob require some team effort to help make the ults become better and are much cheaper

2 Likes

Except for Tracer which I dont think is right, Iā€™d have to test itā€¦ The main qualifier usually seems to be time of ultimate (itā€™s usually around 12 seconds plus where they give them the ability to do it), and does it directly affect a characters stats

The only one where it neither directly affects the characters stats nor is too short is symmetra, and I can only think its possibly due to how safe symmetra is with wall up compared to the rest since its global

Bob is massive value even if you just yeet him out there. Itā€™s one of the best DPS ults because you gain a literal teammate advantage just for having him, and he does a respectable amount of damage from a long distance. The only way Bob gets no value is if you throw him off the map or send him into Narnia, which your team canā€™t really help you with.

Being able to get ult while Bob is out is dumb for how good Bob is.

3 Likes

Characters that get ult charge while their ult is active are balanced around being able to do so

Sym can nearly get an ultimate every fight when sheā€™s enabled to do so, gaining ult charge while her ult is active would allow her and her team to have a big 4000 health shield up every fight which could be quite problematic

Because his Minefield has a very long duration, and is a ā€œfire-and-forgetā€ ultimate.

Pulse bomb has a 0.25 second cast time which can be interrupted, thus canceling the ult. Once the bomb is deployed, there is no forced delay before ult charge can be gained again. It would be interesting to see whether or not forcing Tracer to gain 0 ult charge for a full second after successfully casting her ultimate would have any real impact.

Itā€™s because hanzoā€™s ultimate is hilariously unbalanced and well-balanced at the same time. It also has an extremely long duration and travels to the outer limits of the map. Making Hanzo unable to gain ultimate charge while his ult is ā€œon screenā€ means that there would be anywhere from 15-30 seconds of downtime, but It would be interesting to see him suffer 8 seconds of no ultimate charge.

I donā€™t really know. It could be an oversight or a deliberate choice, but either way Iā€™m not complaining. Itā€™s impossible outside of custom games to generate 100% ultimate charge before his nut is removed from the field.

Now that I think about it, itā€™s probably because Molten Coreā€™s lava pools have an exceptionally long duration. See also, hammondā€™s mine duration.

Itā€™s probably to make her feel more fluid. Seeing as B.O.B. does the brunt of the damage while heā€™s summoned, Ashe isnā€™t gaining insane amounts of ultimate charge anyways.

In addition, since Ashe was released as an Anti-GOATS hero, she was inintially balanced in such a way to keep her ā€œahead of the gameā€ in ultimate economy. Having the ability to charge a new ultimate while B.O.B. on the field not only serves this purpose, but makes B.O.B. more disposable overall. In turn, this means that it wonā€™t ā€œfeel so badā€ if you accidentally send him careening into the void and offsets B.O.B.'s super-exploitable nature as a basic, but fancy, AI turret.

It seems arbitrary, but only 1 Symmetra wall per team is allowed on the field at any given time. Having Symmetra gain ultimate charge while she has a wall up could result in erroneously re-placing the wall in an undesired location.

It would also be entirely possible (although rather unlikely) for Sym to be able to charge up a new Wall before her previous Wall has either timed out or been destroyed. Seeing as this game is balanced from a ā€œfavor the shooterā€ standpoint, giving Symmetra the option to potentially summon multiple walls in a row without much downtime doesnā€™t really seem like a scenario which would favor the shooter. Wall is a very powerful Defensive ultimate.

Orisaā€™s Supercharger increases damage dealt by her team for 50% for 16 seconds, if Iā€™m not mistaken. By increasing damage dealt on a hero who only receives ultimate charge by doing damage, this translates to a direct increase to potential ultimate charge gain. The reason for the forced downtime before regaining ultimate charge is most likely to mitigate the risk of Orisa using multiple Superchargers in a row, which would feel oppressive outside of Total Mayhem.

This oneā€™s easy. Itā€™s simply to prevent Ana from continuously nano boosting any particular target, and/or to restrict her ability to Nano Boost multiple targets at once.

Ana was the first new hero released, before there was a Hero Limit of any sort. If she was allowed to gain ultimate charge while her ally is Nano Boosted, it would be theoretically possible for multiple Ana players to endlessly chain Nano Boost on a single target, which would feel extremely oppressive.

Arbitrary or well-thought-out balance decisions, as well as the mechanics of an ultimate ability.

The mechanics are not entirely consistent across all ultimates though. While you can start charging a new Supercharger immediately after your current one is destroyed, if EMP is interrupted you still suffer an 8-second duration in which you canā€™t gain any ultimate charge.

The main theme seems to be that disposable ultimates can begin recharging immediately.

1 Like

I said its only my guess and he needs something like a bubble or defensive cooldown to prevent him from being disabled

For Hanzo the usual argument is the value from Dragon is almost always instant. The amount of times he realistically gets picks with dragon more than 1-2 seconds after casting are so low that forcing him to wait until they truly despawn/hit map barriers is sort of unfair.

Ashe, Torb, and Ball though I agree is sort of weird and shouldnt be a thing

1 Like

I donā€™t know if this is considered a hot take, but I think every hero should be able to charge ultimate while their ultimate is active(not counting damage dealt/enhanced by the ultimate itself, obviously) and tone back the power of any outstanding ultimates from there.

1 Like