Getting low GPU usage/Low FPS in game

Hello!

This is very frustrating for me as I am currently gaming on a laptop with GTX 1060 6GB and a i5 8300H processor. Some while ago I got quite low fps in game (in teamfights I usually drop to around 60-70 fps).

I have literally tried everything in my power to solve this issue.
Done the following:
Reinstalled entire game/GPU drivers/Windows
Unabled HTEP
Unabled Fullscreen optimization for windows
Fixed power settings
Reinstalled bios

And Im still getting low fps, not like I had before (stable 144). If I play with 50% renderscale I am not even close to hitting the 144hz mark, as I usually end up with ~100 fps or so. If I scale back up too 100% render scale I still get around 100 fps in game.

This is really frustrating for me as I’ve tried so many different things and I’m still nowhere near the perfomance I once had.

Please help me with this issue, as I’m sure other ppl have the same issue regarding their fps perfomance in game.

Hi, I’m a volunteer here on the forum. Just to set some expectations: Blizzard considers the range of fps you’re looking for as “enthusiast level gaming,” and not a technical support issue (e.g. crashing, connection issue). Because of that, it’s unlikely you will receive official support in this topic. However, I’m willing to look over a few things to see if we can spot the cause of this.

Can you add a DxDiag here?

Click here to show/hide DxDiag instructions
  1. Press Windows Key + R, then type DxDiag and press Enter.
  2. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  3. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save.

To add it to your reply here:

1. Open the text file and copy all of the text.
  2. Paste the text in your reply.
  3. Highlight the pasted text and click </> on the post editor.

If your DxDiag does not fit in one message, you can post it on Pastebin.com and provide the hash code (the numbers/letters after the .com) in your reply.

Pastebin URL: VqAS1L9f

Hey ŦĂŚŤ420,

It looks like there are TDR errors showing in the DxDiag, which may indicate a problem with the video drivers, hardware or a conflict with something else in the computer.

While you mentioned already reinstalling the graphics driver, let’s try using the third party software DDU just to be safe, which can help remove all older driver files that can frequently cause problems.

You can find a guide on using this program here. After this, pick up the latest driver from here. Run the installer and select the Nvidia Driver option only.

Once the driver install has finished, change the Nvidia settings so that the game is using the Nvidia card:
• Right click on the desktop and launch NVIDIA Control Panel → Manage 3D settings.
• Go to Program Settings tab.
• Select the game to change the graphics processor under “Select a program to customize”. If it’s not is not available, select the specific game from the drop down list.
• Select your “Prefer maximum performance” graphics card under “Power management”.

Then reset the game settings to set everything back to default.

1 Like

I appreciate your reply, and I will ofc try this one more time, but I have already tried what you have mentioned above. I tried using DDU and wiping my drivers clean, and I have correct power settings aswell. Same goes for overwatch, i picks up my GPU as GTX 1060. I Also have everything on low in game. And everything low plus 50% renderscale should not = 80-90 fps in game.

If that’s the case, then there is likely a deeper problem. I would suggest checking the temperatures for example to rule out any overheating.

There is no overheating either, my CPU stays well below 80 degrees at all times and my GPU barely touches 70. I also have ~20% load on my gpu when gaming. If I increase too 200% render scale I get ~75% usage.

Can you provide a screenshot of the HWMonitor results so we can take a look at the readings?

Grab HWMonitor and play the game for about 15 minutes. Once you’re done:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5.
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results.
    If you have issues pasting here, post the link with a space (ex: Imgur (dot) com).