✅ Get rid of the 40 second setup phase

I’m so happy to see you’re looking for ways to make matches faster, and let us actually play the game rather than spend time waiting. I have a simple suggestion: Get rid of the 40 seconds or so setup phase. It adds unnecessary wait time. Nobody uses it to make plans. Just have 10 seconds or so to choose your hero, then another 10 or so to start the game. In Quickplay you could reduce that to 3.

I already know what you’re thinking. The defenders. Yes. Spawn them CLOSER to their defensive positions. Put a teleport from the hero select room. That way they don’t spend unnecessary time walking to the defensive position.

Hardware has gotten much better nowadays than when Overwatch released, and the new console generation is imminent. Therefore “loading in time” isn’t an excuse to me. There’s never a better time to cut these unnecessary wait times. People on old harddrives can get SSDs for very cheap nowadays.

1 Like

Some people still take a while longer to load in due to being unable to afford a better PC but still wish to enjoy the game. Just because it’s out there doesn’t mean its obtainable. A lot of people also don’t know how to properly repair a computer or put one together.

So, nah. It needs to stick around. As annoying as I find it, I have friends whos PCs aren’t in tip top shape or are old, so they take longer to get into the games than others. It’s not their fault or their PC’s fault.

Just be patient man, let people join in on the fun at their PC’s own pace.

2 Likes

I do agree that the 40 seconds is a bit long but i think it would be enough to just reduce the time by a bit. I think 10 second character selection and 30 seconds setup time should be enough. This will reduce the wait time a bit but will still give defenders and people with a slower PC enough time to set up

On a side note…having that extra wait time means less load on their servers which means saved money ;).
Theoretically (and quite practically too), less playtime = profit for them .

People with slower PCs can be catered to by just not starting the timer until everyone’s loaded the game. There’s no need for more than 15 seconds of setup with a good teleporter to the point for the defending team.

The only thing that wouldn’t leave enough time for is Symmetra creating a kill box over the enemy’s spawn exit, and I don’t consider that a loss in the slightest.

2 Likes

I mean unless you’re a Zarya with bubble up, walking out of the spawn door without checking for traps/turrets/early firestrikes/hanzo arrows is pretty dumb.

Not everyone loads in within 10 seconds. I’ve seen people that take 20+ seconds before they’re even at the hero select screen.

Definitely spawn defenders closer to where we’d defend. It’s very common for players to enter the match just before or right after it starts. With defenders, they will be late for the first fight due to the additional walk time.

I think it’s bad
If you have a potato PC or game bugs you take like 30sec loading, I think the hero select screen shouldn’t be lower than 15-20sec, but 40 is definitely too much… I mean… For what Jeff wants

Perhaps defenders could spawn in the attackers second spawn in the loading-in phase? Once the game starts, this spawn point is no longer accessible for the defenders.

It may not be ideal for all maps, but it would certainly allow for much of the set-up time to be reduced if needed.

1 Like

This is a good idea. Would probably not be too hard to program and maps would not need to be changed much if anything. One could argue that the attackers lose the advantage that the defending team will now have time to move back and switch if they can hear the other teams picks, but that is on the attackers to make sure they are quiet. Sonar arrow should also be changed so that it does not give people standing in spawn away.

To make the time even faster they could keep the 40 sec startup, or lower it to 30 sec maybe, but as soon as everyone have picked a hero the timer instantly reaches zero and you can start moving.

I wonder if they are talking about this as the pace of the game, making it more of a shooter or FPSy.
Or is it only queue times and walking from spawn times, post match screen and stuff…