Get rid of Medals please

Since the Overwatch dev team thinks a comprehensive scoreboard will NOT tell the “whole story” of what is happening during the match then get rid of any stat tracking.

Get rid of the medals.
Get rid of the cards at the end of the match.

Get rid of anything that numerically quantifies player performance.

Having medals in the game for different things only adds to the toxicity when you can’t determine that statistics behind those medals.

This is becoming a more than a joke.

21 Likes

I contest.

They should add more medals.
Death Medal Metal baby.
Bling bling

4 Likes

In general I agree, but some info on how you are personally doing in game is nice. But the current medals are so misleading. Maybe with role lock they could have more relevant, role-based stats? Kill participation maybe?
But really how relevant is healing when you’re not queued for support?

3 Likes

At least with medals you have some general way of establishing a weakness in the team. Somebody with literally no medals is probably underperforming by a fair margin as opposed to the rest of the team. Since their performance has a direct impact on how you rank, I think it’s fair that you should be able to see their performance.

1 Like

They don’t know what the hek they’re doing. Never have.

BUT You can be an incredible tank with little metals. There is no metal for damage blocked.

6 Likes

Why shouldn’t that stat be viewable by the team as well?

1 Like

100% agree. They are meaningless.

Better off having detailed stats and explaining the relevance.

2 Likes

I agree. Get rid of medals and only show stats that are important on the hero you play. People want to get better, but the medals and stats they show in game don’t seem to have relevance. They said they rank people off how they compared to the best players. Ok, so what stats do the best players excel at and show us those stats. Otherwise, people feel like they are just guessing how to get better. It’s like taking a pop quiz without ever providing a text book or reference material and tell us to figure it out for ourselves or ask a friend. I’ve tried to review my stats / 10 min compared to other people who play the same role better than me. I literally can’t figure out why someone I play with regularly is placing 400 SR higher on the same role when my stats seem to be about the same if not slightly better on the same chars. Obviously, something I’m doing is wrong, but all the medals and current in game stats don’t help me figure it out. Even the mass of stats in career profile are not helpful since I’m not sure which are important. This is not intuitive for everyone.

5 Likes

No, and this is precisely the point. They are useless but people think they are useful and use it to justify their own silly ideas about ow things are going.

“Hey guys, I’m doing my job because I got all golds” when you got steamrolled, and gold elims is 1.

8 Likes

This is an extreme one-dimensional way to approach team statistics and helps nobody. Removing any analytical opportunity just leaves it as a mess of everyone blaming everyone else instead of identifying the actual problems. If your argument is that toxic people are going to be toxic, well I hate to break it to you, but they’re going to be toxic regardless.

I agree with your last statement, but the medals just add fuel to the first.

It’s not a one-dimensional way to approach team statistics. The medals measure garbage things that don’t actually tell you how anyone is performing without more context. That information is worse than useless and provides even more of a hindrance for identifying actual problems.

3 Likes

The only medal that’s important is the one they don’t have a medal for

1 Like

Well tbh I’m not a fan of “medals” it promotes an environment of superiority and that’s not how the situation should be approached. It should be more like “okay so we’re really low on blocking for as many projectile heroes as they have, what can we do to improve that?”

Well the answer might be to kill the flanker who’s disabling your tanks. It doesn’t necessarily mean the tank is at fault, but it’s a piece of the puzzle.

1 Like

The problems with stats and medals, and clearly proven here in this post is people use them to flame other people, and blame other people. If you all would stop worrying about other players and focus on yourself, we would already have an amazing scoreboard.

2 Likes

Toxic people are going to flame other people regardless. Whether they use stats to flame people or baselessly flame people is actually irrelevant imo.

1 Like

And what I’m saying is, none of the current medals actually progress you toward solving any of the puzzles you face in game.

Damage done? Who cares. Elims? Who cares? Damage blocked? Who cares?

And if you DO care about these things, you are probably wrong in what you are reading into it.

1 Like

I agree completely. We need more robust statistics. They don’t even need to be personalized, just make them team stats.

“Your team has done [x] hero damage”
“The enemy team has blocked [y] damage”

3 Likes

But this is added evidence they will use as a “fact”. If tanks do not push forward, as I have seen sooooo many none tank mains do during this beta, then DPS can’t flank because tanks are not drawing attention. Healers are too far back to provide value. DPS ults are too far back to make value out of them. Then, DPS get low damage stats, tanks might have HUGE damage blocked and healing received stats. DPS go on flanks so far away healers can’t help and complain about low healing received.

DPS get yelled at or healers get yelled at, but it was 100% the tanks fault and a scoreboard is used to prove the tanks were “good”.

I’ve seen lots of poor tank play being a tank main myself. I hit masters, and in diamond and plat on my other roles, tanks literally have no idea what they are doing. DPS and supports are being flamed. Scoreboard = more toxic people trying to prove they were not at fault when quite possibly they were.

Almost no one focuses on themselves.

You can’t force mentality no matter how much of a tunnel you try to put them in. If someone is going to blame outwardly, that’s what they’re gonna do. It doesn’t really matter what “facts” or reasoning they rely on. They could just as easily say “I’m doing everything and you’re doing nothing!” and assert that as a fact. You can’t rationalize irrationality. All we’re doing is further limiting people who could use it productively.

1 Like