Gerard is alive

In “Reflections” comic Widowmaker stands in front of her husband’s grave, there is only one flower on the grave
YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS??
“According to French traditions even number of flowers bring to the funeral, but a living person stuck only to give flowers in odd numbers.”
GERARD IS ALIVE

8 Likes

Or the artist didn’t know the French tradition.

Having Gerard be alive would completely invalidate Widowmaker’s story. Gerard is dead.

21 Likes

This seems highly unlikely, probably just a mistake on the artist’s end.

6 Likes

He could have been revived by mercy or someone else as an instance of her res in the storyline, but nobody knows of his survival.

Resurrection is not canon, its just gameplay.

8 Likes

I’ve always wanted to see more of Gerard but bringing him back from the dead isn’t the way to do it in my opinion. Besides, we already have a “I killed you and thought you were dead but then I kind of regretted it but now you’re alive” storyline in the game.

9 Likes

I wouldn’t look too into the number of flowers Widow brought. That sounds like a very niche tradition to people who are not French, and when it comes to artistic detail, this is the same artist who forgot to give Roadhog his belly tattoo on the same page.

10 Likes

I can’t believe that this was just a little mistake

2 Likes

It seems like a very insignificant thing. Until you brought it up, i had never heard of it.

I’m French, and I never heard of this tradition… where did you hear that?

4 Likes

Why would he fake his own death, though? Why not fake it after the Oslo or Rome attacks? I’m not one of the writers but I think in this franchise we have enough characters who are dead-but-actually-not, so I highly doubt there’s another one.

4 Likes

Wait a f****** moment. If you are correct and if we assume it was an intended symbol. Then!!! That means she lied to talon!!!
!!!
!!!
!!!
That means she is probably acting as a spy infiltrating talon!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She must have alternate motive. Which she thinks worth killing innocent people!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I…can’t…stop…my…imagination…
why you do this!!!

2 Likes

There is no reason to think that Gerard is alive. He is 100% dead.

2 Likes

There is a very good chance of him being dead. But there is’t enough data to say it’s 100%. And Overwatch universe is filled with talking animals and “future science” stuff. So it is even more hard to be sure 100%.

1 Like

I want him to just stay dead.

The “I’m dead but not really, hai guys lulz” trope, especially for Blizzard is getting very old.

5 Likes

None of that makes any sense. She was a ballet dancer before she was kidnapped and conditioned to become a cold hearted killer by Talon.

Widowmaker, his murderer, visiting his grave, is a pretty good indication he’s dead.

1 Like

Mmm, which part doesn’t make sense? We already know her story. We are trying to speculate and come up with theories. Theories can be right or wrong.

Well, I’m not so sure about that. Because it is a common movie trope I have seen time and again.

Gerald could very well be dead. But if the little detail op says is true and intended. Then that kinda alters her whole story. But hey that’s just a theory. A game theory.

1 Like

Exactly, we already know her story. There is no room in her story for her to be a spy infiltrating Talon that was part of a plot to fake her husband’s death before she was kidnapped the first time and conditioned to kill him.

1 Like

Before? No no, it’s after she was kidnapped.

I disagree. What’s beautiful about stories is there are no limitations to them. There is always more room if someone is willing. For an example I can just create a quick story right here connecting assumptions.

After talon kidnapped Amélie and broke her will and reprogrammed her they released her to be found by Overwatch and back to the Gérard. And then there was 2 weeks period till she kills him. So I can start my plot right there.

Let’s say even after brainwashing there was still something left in her. And talon wants to know for 100% sure she is fully conditioned and only by killing the person she loves the most it can be proven without a doubt. And knowing talon they must have already taken some measures to kill her and Gérard if she failed to do so. Gérard notices some differences in her behavior but he did all he could to help her. She was still battling with her self and conditioning but whatever they did to her seems to be too powerful. So one night she was ready to kill him in his sleep. But she didn’t, after confronting with him at that moment she couldn’t kill him. So what happens later? She is not the person she once was so she couldn’t go back to it. And Talon will kill them anyway. So they decide to stage his death. So Talon will stop pursuing him and he will be able to continue what he is doing in shadows. And talon will fully trust Amélie for killing Gérard. Even Overwatch didn’t succeed in destroying talon. But with a sleeper agent who has their trust, Gérard might finally have a chance. But going undercover in talon is a heavy burden. She will have to do a lot of cruel things. But she wasn’t the person she used to be. But she is also not a puppet of Talon. But she will do it so she can burn it down to the ground. For the greater good.

It’s actually the same story of Itachi Uchiha in Naruto. And Gérard doesn’t have to be alive he could also be dead by Widow. But follows the same plot. Maybe he knew everything but let it happen so she can infiltrate the talon, knowing she will avenge him.

So a plot can be created like this. There are no rules. It all depends on the writer. But if you think it dosen’t suit to her story or it will ruin her story then that’s an entirely different matter. I’m not saying they should go this plot route or anything. I’m just saying it is not impossible.

And ignoring all this aside what always bothers me the most was a dialogue between Ana and Widow.

Ana : Gérard was a fool to love someone like you
Widowmaker : You don’t know anything about him.

To me, this always seems like a hint. A hint about a hidden story.

1 Like