Geoff appreciation thread

You made the Lich King fight? So good!

IDK how you and the team keep their confidence considering the general vibe I feel around here and other community places.

I’d certainly be nervous making a reply on the forums if I were on the Dev team.

I’m sure my posts would usually not be encouraging to the team.

Sometimes I think OW goes too far to keep heroes unique to the point that people who don’t play the other characters don’t understand how they work and then get frustrated.

^ Thou that issue may be solvable via graphical display.

1 Like

It’s kind of hard to check.

Last time I dug around I found several posts suggesting that he had nothing to do with it ex

but then when I asked other users that said they played the game said he did.

I’d say at this point its pretty clear Brigitte’s initial balance was pretty far off the mark. She has been nerfed multiple times since then and she is still very strong.

Another regret is although I really like the way Hanzo has turned out, I somewhat regret increasing his projectile speed specifically. It will always feel great when testing a change like that, and it has helped make him a lot more consistent… but he has lost some of what helped make him feel very different than other heroes. That’s not to say you’re going to see Hanzo nerfed next patch or something, but its just one of those retrospect things that I wonder if there was another way to get to the same goal.

87 Likes

Thanks for buffing Doomfist, I appreciate it

6 Likes

Giving Reaper his charms, good looks and poetic vocabulary.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response, and I look forward to the responses in Baptiste Q&A. Have a good night.

10 Likes

Please don’t tell me that you’re still planning nerfs. Brigitte’s been through enough

10 Likes

Does the OW team have favorite skins they will never take off? :thinking:

1 Like

We’re mostly going to see how this next patch shakes out, since it has a ton of changes in it already.

That said, we would have liked to keep the Junkrat buff at 140 from a pure DPS stand-point (especially against Tanks/Barriers), but it was just really pushing it once he could one-shot 200 health heroes with a 50%+ boost (Orisa ult, Nano, Baptiste ult, etc). We experimented with making the grenades no longer explode on enemy impact once they hit a surface (as a way to nerf his spam, without affecting direct hits) but it felt really weird and kind of broken in a lot of cases.

So possibly Junkrat buffs and some different Reaper buffs, since the pure passive healing buff was really problematic at the lower ranks.

51 Likes

Every hero has been unique and fun, Brig has been the most fun hero for me, Next to Doomfist, Please don’t have regrets for her Mr Goodman, other players who enjoy her too are glad shes in the game I am, I’m very thankful you gave us this hero, transitioning from playing Paladin in MMO to Brig was enjoyable experience. Made me enjoy Overwatch more.

I can only imagine how difficult it is to balance a game like this, you have my respect as Dev.

5 Likes

That’s funny, because you referenced my exact post from almost two years ago. :rofl: Man time flies! I thought that was only about a year ago…

I know it’s impossible to verify, but I went to a bio page on some wiki (don’t remember which) and there was no mention of him working on the HoTS team so that’s what lead me to ask.

Just in general it didn’t sound right that Blizzard would move someone who failed in one area to command one of the most prestigious positions in an upcoming game. It’s not like in Batman Begins where Lucious Fox is sent to the Archives to sit and rot, in the hopes to eventually not exist at all within the company.

Thanks for buffing Doomfist, and how do u feel about Doomfist now?

1 Like

Out of interest, what are some mechanics currently absent from Overwatch that you’d like to see added/are campaigning to have added?

1 Like

What’s your opinion on Sombra right now? I feel like she’s in a pretty good place, but the community is pretty polar about her

3 Likes

It’s nice to see a positive post regarding Brig because I don’t see many of them :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

+1 for Fritz and Redwolfx… no more nerfs for Brig… =(

But if that is necessary in terms of the big picture, then yeah, you guys do what you gotta do.

Thanks for your time here, Mr. Goodman.

7 Likes

Isn’t it against the rules to single out a single developer?

Not saying I’m against the thread, but consistency is key

2 Likes

This is exactly how I feel about Hanzo. In most games I like that slow and curved “archery” feel, now it’s more “gun-like” or at least like a cross bow. Its still good/strong but it does feel different.

1 Like

Just curious, why are these changes added in all at once, instead of every 2-3 weeks or so? The PTR looks promising but playerbase morale would certainly be higher if these changes trickled in on a consistent basis.

Also, for junk, has the team considered increased projectile speed? I feel that a way to consistently land intentional, direct shots is a prerequisite to keeping spam under control.