Geoff appreciation thread

Just wanna say this made my night.

At this point, I don’t care what change does end up getting decided on (scratch that, I’d care if it was a nerf, pls no nerf)

I’m just happy that Mercy is finally getting officially acknowledged that there are is actually a possibility that she could use a buff, when instead it could have just been written off as “Mercy’s fine, stop complaining” like we’ve seen so many times before.

1 Like

Geoff, when Sym was being reworked it was stated that her orbs would fire at 30mps. Did balance find that was too high for her?

this is huge, tbh. Really appreciate posts like this :smiley:

As a temporary solution, you could look into just having tele and shadowstep blow up railings on casting.

what about doomfist ultimate? it was stated that his ultimate got nerfed so he doesnt get “free” kills on non mobility heroes like ana / zen but they can literally walk around a wall and make his ultimate useless. can doomfist land faster?

These changes to railings sound fantastic! When they’re eventually looked at, can you also look at the interaction between railings and Doomfist’s Seismic Slam? Slam is often used as an escape to high ground after using Punch and Uppercut, but railings have a nasty habit of getting in the way, preventing you from using Slam to get to safety until they’re broken. 2nd point Rialto comes to mind.

I can’t wait either…

[Insert Disney’s Hercules “It’s Gonna Be Big” Meme/Gif, Here]

1 Like

I want to believe this. But I don’t.

So many unpopular changes have been implemented that leave heroes in the gutter for months, changes that affected players have banged pots about to try to get your attention about in how it will drastically, negatively affect a hero.

It’d be one thing if it were just straight number buffs or nerfs… but you routinely change underlying systems and mechanics to something that definitely feels off, wrong, or not even close to the same ballpark of engagement…

Rather than reconsidering, testing alternative routes publicly, or meeting the affected players halfway and partially reverting in a TIMELY fashion, their feedback is either ignored, or you double down and strongarm those players into accepting it through either radio silence, or with a developer post with a “deeper” look with a bunch of nitty gritty numbers.

• Widow’s scope “cancel” – which, you successfully convinced the entire Overwatch population was an animation cancel despite it being in existing in literally every ADS sniper scope in other games before, during, and after Overwatch’s release.

• Animation cancels in general, removal & special exceptions.

• Sombra’s hack time, stealth contesting and movespeed.

• Every rework. Symmetra and Mercy especially.

• Refusing to re-add true 21:9 support (especially after the patch that adjusted Rein’s barrier camera to enable seeing around corners).

• Roadhog’s hook breaks.

• Lucio’s wallride jump tech.

Even the most recent PTR patch has this, and it’s really upsetting because it feels like we have no control when you drastically change Lucio’s movement for the fourth(?) time, or add a tradeoff to Widow’s ultimate that didn’t exist because you felt a QOL buff was too strong on an ultimate that has always felt relatively weak.

And, there are a TON of QOL improvements that could be added that we’ve suggested, specifically to alleviate frustrating problems, and they just aren’t ever seen or considered.

It really doesn’t feel genuine to me. I want it to. But it doesn’t, and I just really don’t like the direction the developers are steering this game…

And since I wrote a rather negative message in an appreciation thread I just know I’m going to be jumped upon by other players rushing to defend Geoff… I hope he doesn’t feel offended by this, since I don’t mean any harm.

3 Likes

Despite the good reasoning and the responses, i think the thread’s title goes against the code of conduct of this forum.
I suggest you to change it before some Mod will change it. Because a mod will come to change it also if it is an appreciation thread, right?

Don’t forget the interact radius, increase it by 1-2m. I would happily take a higher cooldown If TP can be more reliable with a faster cast time.

Please buff Mercy’s healing to 55/s!! I genuinely think that’ll put her in a perfect state :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Syms bootleg Zarya beam and Pharah rockets would disagree.

2 Likes

what about the 40+ doomfist bugs?

Agreed with animetic.

Geoff, maybe try out something that would slightly increase JRat survivability, because ranged, hitscan heroes are very opressive for JRats, maybe 50 armor or hp would do?
as for damage and spam - junk hitting direct hits should feel like a reward, but it could be OP while buffed, i didnt thought about that because nobody ever buffs junkrat
id imagine that onehitting squishy might be frustrating, but sqishies have lightning transport mechanics - junkrat just stands there like a spinning pillar of salt,
yesterday i played against masters (or smthn) genji (i am in gold)… my team and me got shredded in to pieces… so its not that squishies cant do anything

same for Reaper, its not lifesteal that could make him more meaningfull, but some kind of mobility buff
lifesteal in lower ranks is just a nightmare and dont work in higher ranks, we need more tunning of Reaper

if its about patchnotes - i like them in like 90% ... we will have to wait and see how it pans out, might shake things too much

thanks for explanations and activity Geoff!

2 Likes

Gnomeregan had the best/worst feature of the split levels, so you could aggro a bot on the lower level, have it run around the entire corridor to get up to you and bring all its friends. And they all had that framerate-killing Banish-vfx aoe buff, if 40 enemies rolling up at once wasn’t difficult enough!

1 Like

Coming from Team Fortress 2, I was always a bit surprised that Junkrat’s bombs didn’t work like this, as it’s how the Demoman works. If a Demoman pipe hits an enemy between being fired and hitting a non-enemy surface, it explodes, if it bounces off something else first, it doesn’t detonate until the timer goes off.
Junkrat’s still go off if you step on them before the timer.

1 Like

But that make no sense, Mccree can one shot with 50% boost when it’s easier to hit and undodge-able, why can’t junkrat.

3 Likes

He means that if they hit a surface, they wouldn’t interact with enemy’s hitboxes. Only splash damage.

Do you guys have any access to similar tech to that which Valve used to make Portal? You could then treat “holes” in the map as portals and create generic concrete joins to represent the length of the tunnel? This would bypass the need to actually redesign maps wholecloth while still replicating the desired effect.