Genji needs to be nerfed

Genji is arguably one of the easiest characters to get value out of due to his ridiculous kit. Let’s take a look at his high value low skill requirement kit.

• Double jump
    Spamming SPACE does not take skill period. Not only is it an unlimited spam ability that takes no skill to use, it also make him more difficult to kill. By obscuring his headshot hitbox and changing the size of his regular hitbox, he instantly becomes harder to kill than other characters of similar hitboxes. You now require better aim to effectively deal with Genji and all he does is spam SPACE.

• Deflect
    This ability allows Genji to always have the advantage in a 1v1 against hit scan and projectile characters, there is no build up to it activating, it is instant. It requires reaction time and prediction skills to avoid shooting Deflect, but not so much skill to simply activate deflect. Getting shot at? Press Deflect. There is no aim requirement to get value out of this ability, there is even a very low requirement for prediction skills. This ability is pretty much “activate for instant value”. The main problem with this ability is that it can kill, no other ability is like this. Take Recall for example, it lacks counter play but at least it doesn’t damage you while active.

• Swift Strike
    This ability is a guaranteed 50 damage and can be used to kill low health targets, even if they are being covered by their team since it just goes through everything. It is also a “get out of jail free card”, just simply press it and you are no longer out of position. It can also be used to instantly close the distance on any character that is keep their distance to keep from dying to Genji. This is mainly seen by supports who have the least amount of counter play against Genji.

• Shuriken
    This is Genji’s M1 and M2, these projectiles have oversized hitboxes and no damage drop off. So not only is the aim requirement low, it is a spam ability with infinite range. I don’t understand why a close range flanker needs infinite range. This form of damage is used almost exclusively as a form of poke spam damage from far away to build his ult.

• Wall Climb
    Pretty obvious as to why this doesn’t have a high skill requirement, it doesn’t take skill to press SPACE on a wall. What it does do though is allow Genji to get to areas “counters” such as McCree can’t get to. Even allowing for Genji to get away from stronger “counters” such as Winston.

• Dragonblade
    This is without a doubt one of the strongest Ultimate’s currently in the game. What makes the Ultimate so strong is not only the oversized hitbox, but the fact he can use all of his abilities while ulting, which includes his ability reset with Swift Strike. The biggest thing that makes it one of the strongest ultimate’s in the game is the lack of counter play. Transcendence is the only thing that can consistently counter Dragonblade. Genji, of course though, counters Zenyatta.

I could go on for days as to why Genji is low skill high value that requires more skill to kill than to play, but I think this is long enough. So let’s recap why Genji is too strong.

• Low aim requirement
  • Low positioning skill requirement
  • Counters his counters
  • Lack of counter play
  • Ability resets
  • Animation cancels that combo with abilities
  • Requires more skill to kill than to play

In ladder comp play there is not that much GOATS outside of the highest ranks, so when a team isn’t running GOATS they run Dragonblade. At lower ranks this Ultimate decides games. Even without Nano it lacks counter play, and with Nano it has NO counter play. The only true counter to Dragonblade is to be just plain better than Genji, but if the matchmaker puts you against people of equal skill how can you ever do that?

76 Likes

Ill see you in GM next tuesday chief

56 Likes

Incorrect.

Also requires the exact same skills to use it in response to an enemy’s fire.

If a hero is in a place where they can easily get back to safety then they were never out of position to begin with. That’s literally what good positioning is.

Smallest projectile hitbox in the game, tied with Hanzo’s arrows.

Any CC, Good target focus, good positioning, etc.

Cbf going into detail as to why everything you’re saying is either illogical, wrong or simply a problem to which the solution is you yourself improving because I’ve done so in countless other threads.

TLDR: If you’re getting stomped on by a Genji then that Genji is a better player than you, you need to improve at the game to fix this issue, complaining on the forums about the hero won’t help.

52 Likes

NOMEGALUL get gud instead

23 Likes

Listen, I hate Gengu like the plague, but he does not need any sort of nerfs. Okay… maybe the reset on his Dash should be looked at, but other than that he’s fine. Not just anyone can pick him up and expect to do good with him.

6 Likes

I’d be fine with dropoff on shurikens, the most annoying thing about him is that he can just farm up his ult from half map while he can go 1v1 in melee range…

10 Likes

Genji seems balanced to me.
Annoying, but balanced.
He does not need nerfs.

Still a projectile with a hitbox. Just saying.

6 Likes

You could take any hero in the game and make them look overpowered if you talk like this.

32 Likes

OP’s name speaks for itself

1 Like

I’m pretty sure he requires a lot more skill than most heroes. Am I just insane?

I’m liking this nerf thread. Its a very forumy way. lol!

Is this a troll post ???

5 Likes

Here we go.

Wrong. It’s not unlimited spam ability. You can only use it once before you need to touch a floor to use again. Also in Overwatch heroes in the air have a very easily predictable landing path and they’re relatively easy hits.

There is no aim requirement, seriously? Have you actually played Genji? You don’t know Genji has to aim those shots to hit enemies? And he has to predict when he’s about to take fatal damage/ability? If he activates deflect before McCree has used flashbang (for example), Genji’s dead. Also there are so many things that bypass Genji’s deflect like Moira, Sombra hack, Shield bash, Zarya primary, McCree can flashbang his feet and Genji won’t deflect it, I could go on.

Yes, it is a guaranteed 50 damage. McCree’s primary fire for example does 70 damage per bodyshot. It is not also a get out of jail card, it can only be used as either initiation or reposition. You say supports have least amount of counter play, may I ask if you’ve ever tried Moira or Brigitte against him (mainly Moira tbh) ?

Aim requirement is low, you say, yet I have yet to see an effective Genji sniper. Easily one of the slowest travelling projectiles in the game, hitboxes only feel “oversized” if you’re spamming a DVa or Roadhog. Which is a valid strategy to build ult actually, and it’s their own fault for letting Genji farm them.

Maybe if Winston held on to his leap, he could then use it when Genji reaches the highground to do burst damage and finish him off. Yes it doesn’t take skill to use it (although it’s still buggy sometimes and even facing directly a wall and pressing space won’t connect) as do so many things in the game, but I don’t see people having problem with that.

Lack of counter play? We just barely came out of a stun meta. There are so many stun abilities in the game. As long as you bait Genji to use dash and then stun him to allow teammate to get away from him, Genji won’t get a single kill with his ult.

I already discussed most of those points, so I’m just gonna discuss the counters his counters part. So which exactly heroes do you mean by that?

• Genji can’t deflect anything from Winston, and the only option Genji has when being focused by a Winston is to burn dash to get away to safety (unless Winston’s already low).
  • Sombra can easily pull a hack on him, her hack is faster than the speed of light, she has tiny hitbox to make it hard on Genji to interrupt her, and also shurikens have projectile time which makes it even harder for interruption. Hacked Genji is useless for 6s.
  • Symmetra counters him easily. Turrets slow down Genji, and do decent damage, so if a Genji is flanking, Symmetra can secure the flank route by making a carwash. The only thing Genji can deflect to Symmetra is her right clicks, so you shouldn’t be right clicking against a Genji.
  • Moira, I don’t think I even need to discuss this. Moira has self heal + Genji can’t deflect anything but the orb, and the orb is very inconsistent deflect, I can’t even count the times I saw a Moira orb go literally through my screen while I’m deflecting. Also even if Genji manages to deflect it, the damage org does decent amount of damage before reaching him, that should easily be enough for Moira to take him down.
  • Doomfist is relatively easy matchup. Has more hp than Genji, gets shields when using abilities and charged up punch equals death for Genji.
14 Likes

Genji requires no skill get over it, tired of people dropping this meme word everywhere.

3 Likes

The problem is, he can just spam shurikens from half map to get random ult charge without aiming at anyone due to the slow projectile speed and he can just keep M2 pressed at close range to get free damage. He shouldn’t have both.

1 Like

Play peekaboo around objects or stay behind barrier. Winston, Reinhardt, Orisa and DVa can easily take care of the shuriken spam across the map.

1 Like

Again, to back up this point, even the designer is on public record saying he regretted unlimited double jump. It most definitely needs a cool down…

The core problem is his basic evade like Tracers is too easy for the skill it takes to pull off… lots of smug Tracer and Genji mains who think they are more skilled than they really are because the value for a little time on the kit for evasion is enormous. A McCree or Ashe for instance has to literally be effectively better skilled at aiming by far to hit either Genji or Tracer who can spam away at movement to evade in a fairly low skilled manner. Combining that to get picks does take some skill, but it’s overblown. Again, until Blizz acknowledges the problematic nature of easy movement, expect CC in the game to persist. And let’s not forget combining it with unlimited wall climbing…

Outside of that I don’t have real issues with other parts of his kit personally.

3 Likes

The only Genji nerf I would be ok with would be removing the dash reset on ultimate activation which would just make planning blade different, but it would still be as strong after that first kill.

I’m not even sure about that since asking for DPS nerfs in the current meta seems rather absurd

Stopped reading after this. Anybody who genuinely thinks this is either trolling, or needs to seriously reevaluate their opinion and actually play the character for more than 5 minutes. Really hard to take you seriously after you say something like this.

6 Likes

Just get gud, dear lord its getting pathetic now… 14 seasons and u still cant kill a genji…

5 Likes