Genji is now unplayable (And how to fix it)

Different company, that took their game more serious than Blizzard does.

Congrats, that’s awesome, but once again, you’re not dealing with a company that actually cares about their player base.

OWL does not even play on the same patch as everyone else, and should be removed if they aren’t going to be playing the same as everyone else regardless.

Well overall, I’d say “Follow the money, where is the money at”.

OWL dollars are basically dead and gone.
OWL exclusivity deals with Twitch/YouTube etc. Gone.

The next pile of money? Monetization from Ladder players, and box copy PVE sales.

And the Microsoft Merger? They care more about bulk numbers of players they can get onto their PC Game Pass.

And while Streamers matter, they ultimately care about getting as large a viewership as possible, as well as what cross-promotional deals they can sync up with for ladder players. Their own personal enjoyment is less important than their career financial viability.

All the money and the focus should be shifting towards making the largest amount of ladder players happy.

Which to me, implies that the days of “Only the top 5% of players matter, and everybody else can just deal with it.” are gone.

If anything it’s the opposite almost. Where they 95% is more important than the 5%.

If only they saw it this way. Hopefully Microsoft is able to acquire them, and attempt some sort of change.

I’m just saying all the financial incentives have shifted. To the point that Blizzard would be losing a lot of money if they aren’t focusing on that 95%.

They aren’t though. Maybe slowly changing that way, but it’s still highly evident that the ONLY player bases getting heard, are top500/streamers/pros.

Once again, when you have private discords and reddits that only those people can see, and have input on, it’s very clear they do not give a flying f.

Well, they are seemingly really focused on fixing Queue/Matchamaker/Support issues.

You got both the Executive Producer, Lead Hero Designer, and Lead Systems Designer are all talking about how they plan to buff Supports to make up for the Queue/Matchmaker/Support problems. And notably Alec is saying they plan to buff their mobility. Also during the Alpha, they experimented with lowering move speeds, and that directly benefited Support quite a lot.

Which is good on paper, but with Blizzard’s track record… I’ll believe it when I see it.

Fair enough, but like I said above. Whatever gives the most profit, is probably the direction they want to be heading in.

And Pros/Streamers aren’t going to be pushing much dollars on microtransactions and PVE box copy sales, compared to that 95%.

Which is going to be BP, skins, etc. Even the t500/pros/streamers have all said it’s complete BS, and they’re even being ignored when it comes to that.

Sadly it cascades past that, trickles down to balance, because to push BP orders, any hero that has a mythic skin being the end goal, is going to end up strong or stronger to push people to buy the BP for that skin.

It was pretty clear with Genji before they realized how insane he actually was with damage passive and change to 5v5.

For good players yes he was nuked. This isn’t going to be a graspable concept for people in metal ranks.

It’s less the devs aren’t aware and more they don’t know how to fix nano blade. They’re probably fully aware of what makes him frustrating to play into for average play.

The changes he got weren’t to nerf him and leave him be for awhile. They were what the devs considered fair adjustments to fit within the context of 5v5 since he wasn’t adjusted for the new format. Wether or not these were the right changes for that is debatable.

Everyone is handing Blizz L’s for not adjusting Sojurn sooner but they didn’t nerf Junk. They stated they were already live changes that happened from OW1 to OW2 and they just forgot to add them in the patch.

More like this isn’t relevant at all for the bottom 98% of the playerbase.

Top500, sure. GM, maybe.

Masters and below? Lol no.

They just were not constantly hitting tripleheadshot+melee combos on purpose.

1 Like

Let’s look at Bastion for a second (I’m including stupid rework removal stuff because it’s stupid)
1: Increased ult cost by 10%
2: removed headshots
3: increased spread by 50% without bloom
4: nerfed ironclad to 20% from 35% because people whined when nuke wouldn’t oneshot him if he had nano and was transformed.

I 100% consider the next few nerfs because they’re stupid and horrible and shouldn’t exist.
5: removed tankmode in favor of the worse than trash artillery mode. Change for the sake of change isn’t always a good thing. This is an example of when it isn’t a good thing.
6: removal of self-repair just 'cuz or something like that. No real reason was given they just don’t like Bastion or something.
7: nerfed sentry damage by 30% because the 50% from no headshots including bigger spread wasn’t enough of a kick when he was down.
8: nerfed recon ammo/firerate. It does less dps and at ranges where pinpoint does anything his damage is falling off.

Tbf anybody whose main hero got nerfed with damage and mag reduction would say that, like what’s your point?

Nerf soldier or soj mag and damage? Omgsh my heros unplayable
Nerf hog mag and damage? Omgsh hog is unplayable heck they actually did so that and people complained

Mercy or Moira healing reduction omgsh mercy Moira unplayable.

But anytime genji mains complain over a harsh nerf they’re ridiculed for it.

Mag reduction was fine, damage? Why? Reaper can do the same thing genji does, is capable of being just as much a neusence as him yet he’s okay (because no aim is required you see so ANYONE can play him)
Moira is neusence too and can escape even the most fatal of situations, but she’s fine because she requires no aim and gets nearly free value, anyone can play her

Junkrat can blow through your whole team with insane burst damage, sure he requires aim prediction from a distance but let it be a close up battle, you can eliminate entire teams just "spamming’ bombs and concussions, he’s an easy hero to pick up so he’s not broken because everyone can play him.

Genji is op because supposedly he requires no aim, he can get out of fatal situations, and can deflect damage making him “invulnerable” for 2 seconds oh and had high damage output (coz you know he’s a damage hero) but guess what? Not everyone can play the hero, he isn’t easy to pick up like the other heros, so he’s BROKEN by gold and below logic.

The ironic part is, low level players die by overpowered heros all the time, like the ones I mentioned above but they have NO ISSUE with them, it’s simply genji for some reason who gets hate when his kit offers the same things the others do just in different highly mechanical ways, the only thing that sets Moira and reaper apart are their life steal which no one wants to talk about which allows for careless game play "I can go into a backline and wreck havoc because I’ll heal as I do damage (that I also don’t have to do much aiming for) and if it gets too sticky a situation I’ll just Raith fade out because I’m allowed to) understandable for reaper but Moira is a support,and shouldn’t be incentivised to leave her team.

Genji suffers from double standards
Main any of the heros on the roster? Okay, main genji? You deserve to be shunned by all of humanity

Soj or any other hero dominates the game, fine, genji gets a slither of shine, nope let’s nerf him there’s no way the cyber ninja can be doing this well.

Wanna play any hero only and try to git gud with them? Sure it’s how you learn, wanna play genji only and try to git gud, you have granted yourself the scorn of everyone In the lobby even your teammates.

The sad part is, people claimed that genjis were getting free value and had no skill, truthfully there are many genjis in low ranks that are actually good at the game, because they likely played him for hours and hours, no one picks up a hero and just starts dominating much less genji UNLESS it’s 2018 brigg or Moira and to an extent reaper.

Edited for Language by the Moderation Team.
Forum Code of Conduct

how to fix genji : getting gud

His deflect is still stronger than Doomfist’s power block.

He’s not unplayable but he’s far from good and arguably a bottom 3 dps.

2 Likes

I switches to df after getting stomped at genji and im now steadily climbing. Played far more genji than df and thats not a fair comparison. Doom is better.

Unplayable is a stretch. If you’re good with him you can get value. There’s just not any reason to pick him over other heroes.

2 Likes

genji players collectively need to be sent to the day centre

genji is still one of the best heroes in the game- he was busted on launch and arguably before that, his nerf was justified and perfectly fine considering broken abilities like deflect still exist

don’t care what e-celeb trying to keep his career hero op told you- genji is fine, deflect needs nerfing, git gud

That sounds like hes balanced.

1 Like