Genji and Tracer are the staple of Overwatch's Advertisement, but

Genji probably won’t work that well for advertisements anymore as he did in the past, because a lot of younger players has swapped over to Fortnite.

Tracer, as recognizable that she is, has always been somewhat disliked for being the poster girl, especially on the older forums. I don’t know if this is still the case though.

Mercy is one of the most popular heroes in the game, and blizzard already has no problem using her for advertisements, challenges and promotions.

1 Like

They are if you are into facts and stats.

R34 doesn’t count.

2 Likes

If it makes them more popular… It makes them more popular.

1 Like

Mercy and Reinhardt make for better poster bois anyway.

Just saying, if Mercy or Dva were of the opposite gender, they wouldn’t be nearly as popular. I wouldn’t say the same for Genji or even Tracer.

2 Likes

Genji would be more popular, but Tracer? C’mon, fam. Nobody would like male Tracer. I bet male Dva would be more popular solely because of the mech. Male Mercy, well, we saw what that would have been like… Ha ha ha.

But yeah, I agree with you overall. I am just saying that rule 34 is a powerful force.

2 Likes

In no meta was genji ever dominant
Literally dive he was replaced by widow
Lemme repeat this for you
IN DIVE HE WAS REPLACED BY WIDOW
genjis own meta he even sucked in to get replaced

1 Like

You realize their strength was dodging shots right?
Tracer’s burst and recall along with bling put every character at a disadvantage when fighting her. Man I wonder why she was being played so much.

Genji’s reflect box was the size of reinhart. “Just don’t shoot him even when you’re not aiming at him.”

It’s almost like these characters were popular because of what they provided.

These characters were playing a different game from the others. You could swap when things weren’t working out for you with other dps but with those two. There was no reason. They had everything you need to be impactful at all times.

There’s a reason cc became a thing when you notice that mobility itself hasn’t been touched.

It’s unfortunate that tanks became the biggest victims of it. They should have just nerfed mobility directly. That way, most of the tanks would be fine and they could bring dive back easier if that’s what they wanted.

5 Likes

Next patch you will see more zen because of less shields/doomfist. Then people will use genji/tracer more for killing the backline.

It’s because of how broken their sandbox tier mobility was relative to what the other cast had to do to even stand a chance against them.

That’s why they will never come back until they probably do a multi hero release.

5 Likes

I love the humor and the truth behind this statement, haha

1 Like

Ironically enough the game has no true counterplay despite what people say, what we have right now are 100% guaranteed shut down picks. What can a hero like Soldier do if he gets jumped by Doomfist? Absolutely nothing, he just dies. Why pick Rein pre-PTR when Orisa can shut down anything he tries to do effortlessly?

Real counterplay is a matchup like McCree vs Genji, where both had an equal chance of winning the duel depending on who was more skilled than the other and who played the better mindgaes. There’s not much left of that in Overwatch due to the new heroes or how stupidly strong some characters have become due to buffs (Mei)

Genji definitely has worse survivability right now. Maybe not Tracer, but she has a harder time getting value.

Have you seen license and non license merchandise sold for Mercy and Dva vs Genji and Tracer? Both Dva and Mercy have two Nenoroids. The classic Mercy Nenoroid has increased in priced due to demand and low stock. Can’t say the same for the Tracer Nenoroid. There isn’t a Genji Nenoroid. For Funkos, there are two Mercy and Dva Funkos. Both Dva and Mercy have exclusive mouses, granted they are cheap mouses. Dva has a gaming chair and Razer headset. A Mercy chair was going to be made, but was cancelled. There are tons of cosplay items sold for both Mercy and Dva. In fact, Mercy and Dva are the most popular cosplay characters. Can’t say the same of Tracer and Genji. I can go on and on, but Tracer and Genji don’t hold a candle in terms of volume of merchandise sold and I’m willing to bet the same applies for loot boxes sold in game. If no Mercy or Dva skin in loot boxes, then the loot boxes won’t sell as well.

I will say that a female Genji would be far more popular. Female character are more appealing to both the male and female gamer population. In League of Legends female characters are far more popular than their male counter parts. There are a few popular male characters like Yasuo and Ezreal. Currently, Genji isn’t a character that would fall into the hyper popular characters like Mercy or Dva.

Sadly, Blizzard nerfed Dva and Mercy, which in my opinion is like shooting one self in the foot. You don’t nerf your most popular characters and run off the player base that play those characters. Riot and Hi-Rez understand this concept, which is why popular characters in LoL or Paladins like Lux, Ahri, Ezreal, Syndra, Lian, Seris, and so forth are never heavy handed nerfed, which is reflected in their win rate.

Or smart play and aim.

???

It’s been known for years now that Genji can and should be reflecting that. That’s why good McCree’s have to try and bait deflect before flashing, because a good Genji will just send it right back otherwise.

It’s not instant, you’re just slow.

1 Like

the counter to them was being a better player, but players as yourself don’t want to improve and just want a 1 button win against better players.

It’s not like mobility in this game is beyond cheap and forgiving, especially in case of Genji and Tracer. CC is just an answer to these two, the fact that we needed THAT much CC to contain them only proves this point.

2 Likes

I play tracer and it’s not a stun fest these days. Flashbang is pretty easy to outplay and Brigitte in general is easy to outplay

1 Like