GDC : Why Junkrat's Projectiles Are Terrible

This may be beyond some people, but for those of you with more technical knowledge, by the end of this video, if you didn’t understand why Junkrat mains are complaining about the reduction in junkrats primary, you may actually get why it was so important from the Junkrats point of view.

Junkrat’s projectiles for non OWL/LAN events needs another looking at. I get the feeling he probably feels fine in a near zero latency situation, but in a practical online game, the estimation involved seems questionable especially on something driven by physics on both clients and the server.

30 Likes

I may give this a watch when I get home

It’s not that I don’t understand. I do I get why junk players hate it but it’s that I think the general design of the hero is very poorly done. I genuinely don’t care if he’s bad. Sorry if you take that the wrong way but it’s the truth.

3 Likes

His design is lacking compared to the speed of the game and how little care he presumably gets from this system. The extra radius on his grenades was like a +1 to cancel out the -1 he gets from his projectiles tick and the server extrapolation/interpolation working against him.

4 Likes

I have said many times that I think Junkrat is one of the worst designed heroes in the game. I’m a bronze player whose sick of him being a must pick at my rank, but who also wants him to be viable at high ranks. I want the nades fixed because it’s done next to nothing to actually solve the Junkrat problem while making him much worse if you actually go for difficult shots like a good Junkrat should.

i feel like him and reaper don’t get the attention they need from the dev team, but hopefully they’re starting to look at the problem. Until then, these heroes are going to keep proving you right. I wish people that didn’t like easy heroes could at least be big enough to want them fixed, to be more fair; but instead it’s usually ignore X, delete Y.

5 Likes

Junkrat basicly slides to last picks by the time you get to Plat and Diamond. ~1% pick rate. And then he’s roughly non existant in Masters and GM.

6 Likes

I’m fine with the idea of making Junkrat more skillful and in that making him better than he is. Majority of the time on these forums it’s just “revert his nade size and he’s fine” which I disagree with heavily.

1 Like

He already -is- more skillful. Fire a gun at a slow moving target, then do the same with a baseball. See which is easier. And before you start spouting off about beach balls and soccer balls. Bullet hit radii in this game are about 10X the size of an actual bullet diameter. So if anything Junkrat got the lesser end of the deal.

12 Likes

I actually dont care if it stays at 0.2 if the devs fix whatever is making those nades slip through Genjis.

Revert to 0.3 mostly just gets chanted because its the most obvious solution.

I like the changes to him on the ptr, those actually encourage aiming, which is a target I think the size nerf missed entirely.

Btw, good on you trying to fight for skill and stuff without just insisting X hero should be better than Y because Y has a subjectivity high skill floor. I used to make topics about how I wished Moira had more skill and outplay potential so skilled players could push her into viability in GM and because I personally would enjoy her more if she was more challenging.

4 Likes

They don’t encourage aiming. The assumption is he isnt aiming , the fact is he has to aim ahead of every adjacent moving target. The only time he can do anything not that, is when he’s suppressing a doorway.

10 Likes

What doesn’t?

I like that on direct hits are now the fastest way to charge RIP-tire.

1 Like

Any of his changes so far.

The assumption is junkrat doesn’t aim. The observation from the gamers was that it felt bad to die to an enemy you felt didn’t have to aim at you. The reality is for a person to person direct hit, unless someone is daft enough to walk head first at junkrat without 400hp and shields and the damage to back it up, moving sideways is how you are engaging junkrat. Meaning he cant aim at you. He has to predict your position at any given distance and , based on the update system for overwatch, PRAY that the system accepts the hit now.

The radius adjustment gave him that much extra wiggle room when the server otherwise would be showing junkrat a bad placement of an enemy, or, showing the enemy a shot that is much further away from them than it should be.

Junkrat is basically the only character who has to suffer this system. Pharah’s rockets are precalculated, so as long as you don’t exist within their path when the timer ticks to your position, you’re good. Junkrat basicly passes shots -through- enemies, and does so more NOW because of the radius change. It happened more rarely when it was .3, but the reduction to 50% his projectiles collision field has removed the corrective nature of junkrat being able to see and hit the thing he meant to hit in a reliable way.

Hitscans do not suffer this system as often because of the nature of their weapons.

11 Likes

I would love for Moira to have more skill. Idk what I would want exactly… Someone said make her damage orb give a slowing effect when it damages enemies but with peoples feelings towards how it currently is I don’t see that going over too well. Maybe make her healing orb offer a speed boost. Lower than Lucio’s but something to impact her team? Maybe even remove damage orb all together and give another orb that is only utility. What utility would that be I have no idea. Distortion orb? Obstructs enemy view while it hits you?

I would also love her damage beam to have a smaller area of effect since right now it’s just 5 zarya beams in a circle in terms of thickness which gives off the impression of it being auto lock but it’s just a fat beam. Maybe make it slightly larger than Sym’s? Honestly no idea but I do agree I would love for her to have more skill + impact in higher tiers.

Has Timothy Ford been on the forums before?..

I don’t like the idea of changing Moira’s primary too much, it has a really cool feel to it and im worried that it’ll end up just a reskinned Zarya primary. Maybe the width could be shrunk a little, but i don’t think she could ever become an aim hero without feeling like tofu.

I like the idea of allowing moira plays to charge the orbs into fast, small projectiles for more versatility, possibly with a cooldown increase or something.

Maybe make the healing resource more complicated to manage. I think that would be the hardest to implement, but best solution.

I don’t like the idea of tossing a utility onto Moira, her lacking one isn’t a problem that something as simple as tweaking numbers couldn’t solve.

I don’t either but everyone says it’s her worst attribute so I figured for her to be better there has to be something to be taken away. Her forgiving primary fire is possibly that thing.

Gonna be honest, not sure what you mean. In my mind you’re thinking about giving her like 3 smaller orbs that do less values than they do now but multiple orbs so it’s more impact. Like currently she has 1 heal orb that does 300 overall healing but 75 HPS and 1 damage orb that does 210 damage but 50DPS. Instead give her like 3 healing orbs that do 100 healing each but like 33 HPS per orb and 3 damage orbs that all total up to 200 damage but do X amount of DPS (idk what 200 / 3 is and I don’t want to open my calculator)

Or do you mean more like Sym orbs where she ramps them up?

Currently it’s very easy to manage I agree idk how I would make it harder tho.

With no utility she won’t really be good in high ranks so she either needs that or stronger DPS possibilities.

Its so refreshing to meet someone who gets the whole primary thing.

Kind of like that, but the orbs would become smaller and faster. This would let Moira players trade mass and time for speed and potentially rescue more extended teammates. This could even come at the cost of potency, since the kinds of heroes this would benefit don’t have really high hp pools, and the damage orb might become too useful in some situations.

Me neither but on ptr moira can get more healing out of less lemonade because the lingering healing got buffed. Moira players who are good at managing that will charge ult faster and conserve resources. Things like that make Moira more skillful.

She counters flankers and has synergy with deathball except for whats been meta, well ever since deathball came back into fashion really. It might look grim, but all the devs would have to do is lower the cost of Coalescence and Moira could be good at high ranks. Moira’s problem is that she’s too specialized in healing multiple high hp pools simultaneously, locking her into an extremely niche comp style that’s outgrown her.

Junkrat players are playing Bowling against fast moving pins with a baseball.
Others are just shooting.

6 Likes

“bullets” on hitscans are roughly 10x the size of their actual counterpart. Junkrat is throwing foam nerf balls so slow that they’re breaking through time and passing beyond hitboxes.

1 Like

So the more you ramp it up the smaller and faster they become but with a trade off of doing less damage overall? Would they deal the damage quicker than they currently do? I could see this being useful. A slow orb does 200 damage max but it takes 4 seconds for the full 200 to deplete. A faster/smaller orb could do 100 damage but it does it in 1 second?

I agree. Also maybe up-ing her ult healing from 140 to 160-180HPS. Or letting her healing orbs have a larger range of things it attaches onto so squishy heroes can more easily get healing from them. Often I’ve noticed I throw one out at them and my DPS completely avoids it.