Game Stuttering

Overwatch sooner or later begins to stutter. What to do?

dxdiag pastebin*com/5estYFe5

First, your copy of Windows seems to be a year out of date, so manually check for updates and apply them.

Second, are you still using your Corsair devices? The drivers for them are having some difficulties, so you may want to reinstall or uninstall depending on your current setup.

Third, if you have your CPU, GPU, or RAM overclocked, you will want to return them to their base state and see if the issue persists (pretty sure your CPU is OC’d). Overclocked hardware isn’t officially supported due to the common occurrence of hardware instability, even though it can work for the game.

Beyond that, we’d want to look at HWMonitor screenshots when the system is under full load/playing Overwatch for a bit. I suspect the real culprit is temperatures that are spiking.

“First, your copy of Windows seems to be a year out of date, so manually check for updates and apply them.”

Weird, because windows updates shows me that it is updated.

"Second, are you still using your Corsair devices? The drivers for them are having some difficulties, so you may want to reinstall or uninstall depending on your current setup.

Third, if you have your CPU, GPU, or RAM overclocked, you will want to return them to their base state and see if the issue persists (pretty sure your CPU is OC’d). Overclocked hardware isn’t officially supported due to the common occurrence of hardware instability, even though it can work for the game."

My keyboard is Corsair, and my CPU is factory OC. But I have it since I started playing overwatch, just as my CPU and memory are the same since 2016 and this started just recently.

playing ow imgur*com/gVR4RWi

CPU do degrade after few years, especially when overclocked, you might need more voltage to keep it stable. Try run some benchmarks like aida64 FPU and CPU stress test.

1 Like

My CPU looks good.

Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool

imgur*com/a/azRmZMK

BATTLE NET LOOKING-GLASS

pastebin*com/C2X5p9Gm

What the previous poster said is accurate, and this test doesn’t tell us much. All it’s saying is that in its current state everything is working fine. HWMonitor records averages and spikes. Since you’re on a laptop, I’m really leaning towards heat spikes, but we still need those HWMonitor screenshots from you.

Also, the looking glass test doesn’t really tell us much. When you’re on a PC/laptop, a WinMTR is always requested.

It is not a laptop, its a regular desktop.

I put a screenshot of HWM, right up on an imgur link.

imgur*com/gVR4RWi (repost)

WinMTR

pastebin*com/aFEFVyKi

Do you also have a pic of the bottom half of the readings? And also, this is under full load while playing a game? If not, play one against bots.

This test was only run for 16 seconds, which isn’t long enough to deduce any issues. Please run for at least 10 minutes.

WinMTR pastebin*com/2VhK8U78

HW imgur*com/a/DqcO0SN

You’re reaching 90ms as a worst ping before your connection leaves your house. So it’s possible that you’re occasionally experiencing lag from that, and maybe even some packet loss (none during this test, but when home equip responds slowly we usually see some eventually). You could reboot your equip and see if that helps. If you’re wireless, I highly recommend using a wired connection to reduce this bit of latency, but you ideally want a response time under 10ms. If the equip is owned by the ISP, I recommend asking them to replace it.

Since your CPU is overclocked, I suggest downclocking it and seeing if that helps with stability. I have often seen players with overclocked hardware that stops working as well due to wear and tear on the processor or bad thermal paste.

Force-check for Windows updates and apply them, since your DxDiag says you’re on the update from April 2018. The most recent update helps GPUs interact with Windows more smoothly. You can view the version history of Windows here: Windows 10 version history - Wikipedia

Howdy!

If the issue continues, try to capture this stuttering with a screenshot of your network graph:

Open Overwatch → Select: Options → Video → Turn on: DISPLAY PERFORMANCE STATS. Click: ADVANCED PERFORMANCE STATS+ turn them all on.

Once in game when this issue occurs press Shift+Ctrl+N to show your Network Graph. Then take a Screenshot and upload the screenshot like you have been and link back here. :smiley:

Thank you.

Network Graph
imgur*com/a/eEPCKBC

Now I started having fps dropping too.

StrOut,

It’s been about a month since we last heard from you - can you get another dxdiag on to pastebin for us and link that so we can look for more options? Other than that, it looks like you spontaneously had a network issue and that was it during that network graph. Was the stuttering only happening while that spike with the white vertical bar happeneded, or was it happening the whole time?

dxdiag: pastebin*com/C3g1vqGs

I tried to play a round with the network graph on, but in that match there was no stuttering nor the fps drop. streamable*com/1kzlq

HWMonitor imgur*com/R9fONOg

Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available

• Problem signature:
    P1: Corsair.Service.exe

Did you reinstall the Corsair drivers after completely removing them? Still seeing this error multiple times.

Did you run the HWMonitor while playing games? I also see your CPU is still overclocked, so the problem could be stemming from it becoming unstable or bad thermal paste.

I’ll try to reinstall Corsair software. My CPU is factory OC, I have not changed anything, my BIOS is default.

Sometimes the CPU itself, or the thermal paste, can degrade after running OC’d for a long period of time, even if it came that way.

Here is the full HW screens, for some reason only one image appears on the other link. imgur*com/a/PWxUjC5

StrOut,

We’ll sometimes see stuttering when an overclock is a little unstable. Does the stutter persist if you turn on debug mode on your GPU? To get here, right click your desktop, open Nvidia Control Panel, and go to the Help menu on the top. In the help menu is a Debug mode option. Check it and retest.

Similarly - you mentioned your CPU is factory overclocked. The results from your HWMonitor actually suggest it may be UNDERclocked or otherwise hindered. You should be boosting to 4.2 GHz and yet you’re holding at your base frequency of 4 GHz. Did you disable turbo on the CPU? My recommendation here is disabling any overclocking at the bios level and re enabling turbo. If you’re using XMP or a manual overclock on the RAM disable that again.

Once ALL overclocks are removed retest. What you want to look for here is if the stutter gets better, worse, the same, or fixed entirely. If it’s fixed, you’ll need to tweak your overclocks until they’re stable again.