Game stuck at 21-23 fps after windows update

I’m on version 1903 of W10. The game suddenly lowered to 21-23 fps, whereas before I got at least 50. I’m on a not so powerful laptop, but this shouldn’t be happening, especially with everything turned off or at minimum.
Already tried the usual things like update drivers, turning off Windows DVR and disabling full-screen optimisation.

Hey rt213,

The Razer software has recently caused FPS issues for some players and you can read about that here. However, in order to help out further we would need to get a DxDiag to take a look at your system.

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
    4)Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save
  4. Paste the DXdiag into the post, select and highlight everything you just pasted, and hit the “code” button (</>). That’ll make the information much more readable.
It should look like this.

If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

I don’t own anything Razer and even tried the game with zero peripherals; same result.

Here’s the link:
pastebin(dot)com/CWZqEmnU

I didn’t see anything specific sticking out in that file, but it may be a good idea to do a clean video driver reinstall. This can often help remove old files that can cause conflicts.

First, remove any leftover driver files by using the third party driver remover DDU and you can find a guide on using this program here.

After this, pick up the latest driver from here.

Then reset the Overwatch settings.

So, I did everything; same result.

I also did the scan and repair and then reset settings; still the same.

I noticed that when minimizing the game and opening again, the fps jump to normal values (50-60) and then over the course of 1-2 seconds climb back down and stay stuck around 20.

rt213,

I noticed that Windows Defender was actually having a problem accessing its Telemetry file in that recent DXDiag you sent in. Question - if you run windows update now (manually click the “Check for Updates” button even if it says you’re already up to date) does it net you any new updates? If so, install them, especially if they’re for defender.

If that doesn’t work, and you’re using some third party security programs, let’s try temporarily uninstalling them. If that works, just reach out to the security program’s support team for configuration advice if it comes back on reinstall.

Last up, let’s try on a new admin account. If you have luck there, it means something got messed up with your registry on your old account. My best advice there is contacting Microsoft for help fixing the old registry, or just moving your files to the new account and deleting the old one.

If nothing helps, can you snag a new dxdiag and pastebin it for us? We’ll peek for more options.

Alright, I tried everything, but the result is still the same.

I did have a Defender update and a third party firewall, but apparently that wasn’t the problem. I also created a new admin account, but that also didn’t work.

I leave here a new dxdiag:
pastebin(dot)com/yD204trH

rt213,

No errors now. Excellent! Narrows it down at least. Can we get some information on how your PC is actually being accessed while playing the game? It could be overheating, or it’s possible the wrong GPU is being used. Just to make sure I’m not reading this incorrectly - this IS a laptop, correct?

To test for what your PC is doing, grab hwmonitor and play a game until it crashes. Once it does, check the “max” column of your test for CPU/GPU overheating. If those are getting too hot, clean the PC and take it to a PC tech if that doesn’t fix the overheating - that’d probably mean some of the heat hardware needs maintenance or replacement.

If you don’t see anything, let’s snag some screenshots:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5.
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results. We’ll use those to look for more options.

If you have link errors, copy the code below, then copy/paste your link between two ` marks, it’ll break the link and let you post it. You can just copy paste everything in the box below and replace “Link goes here” with your link.

`
Link goes here
`

Yes, it is a laptop. I clean it myself, so I know it isn’t clogged and I monitor the temperatures, it isn’t overheating.

Just over a month, I noticed the laptop overheating and turns out, the heat sink broke, somehow (I didn’t even know it was possible).
I got a new one, installed it and got to play a few matches. Everything was normal again.

The next day, I updated windows and since then, the fps remain at around 20 all the time. But just Overwatch, which is a bit infuriating, since I used to play almost everyday.

I took the screenshots. This is after around 10 minutes in practice range. The fps stayed at 19-21. Never above nor below, no matter if there were explosions or I was standing in a corner looking at the ground.
Some temps are a little high, since I had a second monitor and chrome opened. But they never were the cause of the problem before and I usually close them to game.

https://imgur.com/a/xOLExZA

Your CPU is getting a little toasty at 85C, so if you don’t have a cooling pad, you may want to look into getting one.

From the temps, it looks like the game might be using the Intel Graphics 4000. The 7600M is showing 54C, while the HD 4000 is at 87C, which is getting close to too hot. Since the Intel HD 4000 is below the minimum requirement for the game, it makes sense that your fps is not good, and also surprising it’s letting you play at all. I don’t have an AMD card, but there should be a way to make sure it’s set as the default card for the game in the control panel for it.

Yes, I was straining it a bit.

The PC tells me it’s using the AMD one, and until after the update I had zero problems. Is there any chance it’s “lying”?

https://imgur.com/a/jQXlylX

Nah, I don’t think it’s lying. At this point, I think there might be something else at work causing the performance problem. Open a ticket with the staff, where they will have you provide a new DxDiag and an MSInfo, which you won’t want to post here.