Game freezing after death

On the newest patch I have been experiencing somewhat frequent game freezes. The image is frozen on the screen and the sounds loop. It has happened about 3 times now, all on the new map, and all after I had died.

14 Likes

I’ve had the same thing happen to me twice since the patch, The sound doesn’t loop for me but i can still hear group members talking and i have to force close the game entirely.

4 Likes

I’ve heard a few reports of game crashes under different circumstances, but this in particular (crash after death, Rialto) happened to me just now.

Never happened on PTR, FWIW. Could just be random chance however.

Same problem for me. Happened 10 minutes ago. Freeze, can hear team chat, had to reboot. Only change to my PC was this new patch.

1 Like

Same thing here. Was in competitive, and my screen froze when pressing tab while I was in respawn. I could hear my team clearly, and I think they could hear me as well. Couldn’t force the game to close, and any attempt to tab to any other window like chrome or the task manager would bring back the Overwatch window.

Finally hard reset the computer, rebooted and got back into my match even though it was basically already lost.

I got hit with a suspension because Blizzard broke their game.

Yeah I’m in the same boat, I never crashed on PTR but now I’m getting the screen freeze thing. Mine wasn’t after death though it was as the game was ending, on Rialto.

So if you’re on Windows 10, if you want to get around that what you can do is go to the Task View, click the ‘+ New Desktop’ button, and send Overwatch to the second desktop, then you can use your normal desktop to bring the task manager up and close it.

I mean ideally the game wouldn’t crash, but I mean, ya know.

Yea i died in the game when i was playing comp then the game crashed and then i had to restart and tried to join back but it wouldnt let me

I had this as well, 2 out of the 5 times I have played the Rialto 6v6 map through arcade. My game would freeze on my death, blood around the edges of the screen and all, and I couldn’t even tab out to windows or Task manager shut down the game, I had to turn off my computer completely.

It should be noted I have never crashed playing Overwatch (5months of playtime).

1 Like

OMG same with me, 2 times, yesterday and today, lost 100p…solution???

Same happend to me. First time i could rejoin the match after restarting the game. 2nd time i couldnt and got suspended and lost 50p

This just happened to me for the first time during my comp placement matches. Had to take a loss for this. Died after using Junkrats ult. Screen froze and locked up. I could still hear my team in team chat. I’m blaming the patch. Never had this issue before.

This happened to me during a comp placement match. I died as Lucio after we took the first point on Lunar Horizon Colony on attack. The game froze and I could still hear my teammates when they talked on mic, but the game was completely frozen. I had to Alt-Tab out, switch desktops, then use task manager to kill Overwatch and restart. Luckily it let me rejoin the match. Bullet point synopsis below.

Time: Approx 6 pm EST
Server: Americas
Map: Lunar Horizon Colony
Character: Lucio
Context: Placement match, just took first point on Attack; played Defense first

Yes, it’s a common new crash since the new hanzo patch. happens randomly during gameplay or often when changing to another map between games, or between new rounds

The same thing has happened to me. This has never happened before. It froze three times so far. At first I thought it was a problem with Windows Update, but that can no longer be the case. It’s happened when I die, specifically. This is frustrating, I was in the middle of a Competitive match that I was likely going to win!

Same thing happened to me, and to a team mate in competitive. Two lost matches because of a bug, I’m not happy. I can confirm that moving Overwatch to a second desktop allows you to shut it down through the task manager. For the record, this happened on WP:G, not the new map. I had tried to change heroes, maybe that affects it?

Same happened to me while switching heroes during killcam on Blizzard World. It’s definitely not exclusive to Rialto.

Hello, Same happened to me twice now but not just in Rialto.
First time was in quickplay but the second time in my placement matches just now.

Both times were with D.va and Reinhardt.
Me being de-meched as D.va and being killed, then when I get killed (red borders around my screen) it gets stuck, I hear sound on a loop, I heard my teammates.

For me it worked to sign out instead of open task manager, then I just need to sign back in and Im good to go.

All this has never happened to me before.
(it seems that it happens to everyone when you die)

samething happened to me on route 66 was playing ana in comp a genji killed me and i froze with the loop restarted pc and i couldnt rejoin

Same thing has happened to me on route 66, D./VA bomb killed me and I froze at the death spectator screen. The music has a 5 second loop and I can still hear my team mates. What was weird is for them they obviously thought I quit the game because I heard them call out ’ we have a leaver’. I was able to hear them the whole time I was t rying to get my task manager up to end the task. It was too late to rejoin the match and I suffered 50sr for it :(. are there any logs I could sumbit for blizzard to take a look at?

1 Like