Game freezing after death

Please @JeffKaplan look into this or revert the last patch untill it is fixed. It crashes way to often

This has also happened to me. I’ve never had DC, crash, or freeze issues prior to the most recent patch. Since then, I have experienced my game freezing going into the map/prior to hero selection (I can still hear the music play all the way through/sounds of my team in spawn but cannot see anything), I have also experienced my game crashing right after dying - it just freezes on my death, I’m still hearing the game and in VC, but my game won’t do anything.

In both instances, the only way to fix the issue is having to do a hard reboot. I cannot even Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to Task Manager to force stop the game.

Drivers are all up to date, no background programs, downloads, overlay issues, etc. Scanned & repaired OW via Blizzard client and problem still persists.

Specs:
Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
NVIDIA GTX960M
Windows 10 (64 bit)
16GB RAM

Same, since the last patch if I open the stat window (tab) right after death the game crashes and freezes. This has happened twice, not only on Rialto.

YES! We shouldn’t have to lose SR, not to mention be constantly banned from comp, because of a bug in the game. My game has froze three times now during the death cam. I can still hear people in voice chat, therefore, i know its not my internet connection. Please consider replacing SR for those who have this issue. Even if there’s no way to differentiate between who froze, and who left on purpose, please just replace everyone’s SR since the new patch, that has to do with “leaving a match”. Also, i dislike the fact that I’m getting banned for hours at a time for a Blizzard issue that has nothing to do with my computer.

Thank you.

1 Like

Legit same, I was in a competitive Overwatch game and i die to someone then my game freezes up but i hear my team mates talking and saying they have lost a person. And due to this bug i have lost 50-70sr even though i rejoined and won the match. And to get out of this bug i had to restart my PC cause CTL-ALT-DEL was not working. Is there anyway the Overwatch Dev’s can compensate for the lost SR cause for no reason i have lost quite a bit of SR, And im pretty sure the lost SR is meant for griefers not for people with overwatch crashing . Im pretty sure as well its not my hardware problem cause mine are pretty good
Also i have put many hours into the game and to start off the season losing 50-100 sr to a bug is frustrating. And due to this Bug i am afraid to play competitive again cause it may happen again and i will lose a whole bunch of SR again

Intel i7 7700k @2.9Ghz
Nvidia GTX1070
Windows 10 pro (64bit)
32gb of Ram

Happened now 4 times and also results in suspensions. :-/

All drivers up to date. No Overlays in use or programs active.
Happened in Dorado 2 times, Junkertown and King´s Row. Always after the character was killed. Game freezes, sound loops.

nearly 130 SR loss is hard cause of that. Thank you for checking into this.

Happened twice on the same computer with different accounts. Mine and my wifes, two instances during death in a comp match with both of us getting the suspension and -50 sr. Fix yo game, Jeff.

1 Like

The same thing just happened to me. It also happened to my boyfriend like 3 times today. Extremely frustrating :frowning_face:

This happened to me today also. I was on the “welcome to” player listing screen (for Oasis). Happened after the patch today. I also got Win10 v1803 installed last night.

Happened to me, two days ago In Blizzard World, competitive mode saddly, after I died the game froze and I could only hear the "dying sound " and the overtime music

If you are still having issues, please take a look at this thread. We’ve made some progress on the issue, but it would help greatly if you could submit your dxdiags, msinfo (instructions how are in the thread), and personal experiences.

A customer support agent has been actively monitoring the thread and has an email where you can directly message them all the info I listed above. The very top of the thread has the most current and relative info.

If you’ve already done all of this, thank you so much!

Not as bad as it crashing, you rejoinig winning and losing close to 75 sr for it

I hadn’t gotten a chance to play since the patch, figured I’d log on and see what Rialto was all about. Started as widow, changed to reaper, experienced this crash during my first death on reaper. I only mention the details because someone else mentioned crashing during role swap, perhaps it occurs if you die(or are still dead) after changing heroes.

Bit demotivating, logged back off and won’t consider doing placements until it’s been fixed.

The local Blizzard person on the subreddit just told me they’re “not tracking any crashing issues at this time”.

Is that right? None? I’m astounded. Clearly there’s an issue.

H ttps://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/windows-update-version-1803-borderless-window-mode-broken/93533?u=vash-2336

Here is the root cause, are you guys all on Windows 10 ?

They totally are looking into it. Please check this thread for current updates:

That may be an issue for some, but others are having no issues with Borderless Window mode. The thread I linked above has the most relevant info to the current, freezing and crashing issues.

Happened to me as well, about 3 or 4 times total in the last 2 days, if my memory serves right. Doesn’t depend on map. I have the newest Nvidia drivers + the new Windows 10 creator’s spring update.

Same Bro :roll_eyes:

Fourth time it’s happened to me now. Banned from comp for 8 hours. I’m livid. Not only did they let through a MASSIVE bug that’s effecting a seeming majority of games, but they’re harshly punishing us for their mistake. This is unreasonable and completely unacceptable. Blizzard, your game is literally broken. Fix it.

A big troubleshooting guide by Blizzard Technical Support was just posted a few minutes ago. I recommend checking it and heavily advise not playing competitive until the issue is resolved.