Game freeze during killcam when swapping heroes

Switching heroes on Blizzard World point A attack after I died. I was Pharah, killed by Soldier/Moira, switching to McCree. Screen completely froze, no inputs worked at all, mouse movements did nothing, alt-F4 did not work. Alt-tab out and back in and the screen became flat black (with the Overwatch cursor, though it was not controllable). The freeze occurred exactly as I clicked McCree’s icon but not sure if that caused the freeze (when I returned to the game it was as McCree, not Pharah, so the hero-change input worked normally but nothing after that).

Had to use task manager to force close, RAM, GPU, and CPU usage were normal. Only background application was Discord (in a call) but with no overlay. Discord continued to function normally.

2 Likes

I think I’ve experienced a similar freeze. I can’t recall if I swapped heroes, but it was definitely shortly after I died.

This has happened to me as well today. I was playing on the Rialto map and when I died, I hit the tab button to check ult stats. The game just froze; kill cam did not have a chance to play.

There was nothing else running on my PC except the Blizzard app, and the actual game.

This is the first time this has happened to me.

Did you still have game audio and comms? My game has frozen twice after dying yesterday. Like yours there was no way to close the game except hard reboot but I could still hear everything, including my team talking about me leaving. It happened during death for me, no hero swap. Once during the kill cam replay and then again while looking at scoreboard while dead. After alt-tabbing during the scoreboard freeze, the screen changed to my career profile with the “searching for a game” prompt, but still frozen.

I had the same thing happen, but it happened in 2 uniquely different situations. This is definitely a universal Overwatch bug.

My graphics card is a Gtx1060 3gig

The players were still talking, but the game audio/graphics were frozen in place.

I have an AMD graphics card so seems like this is an issue with Overwatch itself. I also still had game audio, and according to teammates I didn’t “leave” the game until I alt-F4’ed it.

Happening to my teammates every other game.

Just happened to my duo partner in comp. It locked up his whole computer but he could still hear the game and voice chat. Had to hard reboot.

This needs a hotfix ASAP

1 Like

same thing happened to me just now, got stuck on death screen in a competetive match, could still hear sounds and voice but couldnt respawn, alt f4 wouldnt close the client and the game wouldnt alt tab so i couldnt end the process. had to restart my computer and was suspended because of it and lost a ton of SR

1 Like

Still happening November 2018. Can’t change heroes in comp during kill cam period . Thx blizz

1 Like