Game Crashing on a regular base

For a few weeks now I am experiencing crashes on a regular base.
Most of the time the client just closes and I get an error code (apparently a different one every time), sometimes I also get a black screen and have to restart.

Reinstalling and updating drivers didn’t help.

MSInfo was too long to post it here, so I uploaded it as txt:

Are you using a Razer Chroma, or have you in the past? Check this thread: Known Technical Support Issues - Updated Oct 13, 2021 - #16 by Drakuloth

1 Like

No, but thank you for trying to help :slight_smile:

Hi there KNIGHTHOOD,

I looked over this and have a few ideas on what could be going on here. It looks like the ram in use is sold as DDR4-2133MHz, currently it looks like you have this cranked up to 3000MHz. While this is the max tested speed, it may not be 100% stable with the game. I would ask you go ahead and turn off XMP or any manual clock speed increase here to get that down.

Please let us know if that helps any my friend. :slight_smile:

/Nathardrick

1 Like

Thank You for the quick answer!

My RAM is labeled as “16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3000 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit” and that is also what benchmarking software recognized, when I checked my system.

Just to make sure I have set them to 2133MHz for now and will see if the problem persists.

Thank You for looking into this :slight_smile:

Looks like it really was the RAM. No more crashes so far.

Now I have to find out, why it isn’t running stable with the advertised 3000MHz :thinking:

Is it giving you issues anywhere else? For Overwatch it might just be because Blizzard doesn’t support any overclocked hardware.

1 Like

Some other games crashed on very rare occasions, though it wasn’t even close to the frequency it happened with Overwatch, so I am not sure if it is related.

That’d be the same issue. To go into a little more detail on why we don’t directly support overclocking/XMP, it’s because it’s prone to this sort of instability issue. This doesn’t mean that overclocked hardware will NOT work with our games. I run XMP on my own RAM and it works just fine with all of our games. The problem is that not all RAM is created equal (even two of the same sets of the same model of RAM, which is why it’s important to get matched pairs when building.) You can run into all sorts of issues like not enough voltage, voltage too high, not enough power coming from your PSU, RAM which can’t hold up to its own XMP, a motherboard that can’t handle it or doesn’t support your XMP RAM speed, etc.

My advice? If it’s under warranty, get a replacement set. You may have gotten some lemons. It happens. Even if you do this we can’t guarantee Overwatch will run stably on it, since you may have other hardware issues and overclocking is by nature a hit and miss thing.

There’s nothing engine side which makes overclocking ‘hard-unsupported/guaranteed to crash.’ We just have an engine that’s coded to use as much of your hardware as you let us with the in game settings, which means we’re a good stress test for your overclock setup.

TL;DR - We can’t really help you troubleshoot overclocked hardware, but if the overclock/hardware is fully stable, you shouldn’t have problems. If you’re crashing or having performance issues, try disabling any overclocking you’re doing. If it works, tweak the overclocks or replace defective hardware.

2 Likes