Gaining SR and Losing SR

Can you explain me this.
Do I loose more SR, for a loss, points if I switch my character 2-3 times in a game and do you gain less SR for switching, for a win?

1 Like

I don’t think they removed pbsr for tiers below diamond yet. So if you are diamond+, just do whatever it helps best to win. If you are below diamond, it’s probably better to play heroes you get really good stats with. I don’t know if pbsr is still there but if it is, that is just sad. what are you doing blizz?

2 Likes

If you switch, and underperform with that character, you will gain less or loose more. PBSR discourages switching in lower ranks.
I’ll elaborate. In order to receive a bonus from PBSR system, you need to display performance with selected character, exceeding performance of other players (not on your and enemy teams) at the same rank as you are. It is easier to outperform during the whole game, not half a round.

3 Likes

The game wants you to onetrick the whole match basically

5 Likes

And that can lead to a loss. So every player in lower ranks has a dilemma: win to get some, or loose and not loose some. PBSR needs to go…

So devs want to get rid of one tricks but also they are encouraging you to stick with 1 hero… What a hypocrisy

3 Likes

Don’t worry too much about sr, everyone has a bottom number they can’t go under unless they actively throw, you can actually gain sr from losses if you performed well. Your placement number plus 400 max will be your peak for most folks.

False you cant gain SR or MMR from a loss, ever period. If you loose you will always loose a bit of both even if its only 2 point. There is also no cap on how much one can climb per season.

To OP though, yes swapping heros mid match hurts SR tremendously below diamond. The reason is because that hero playtime/kills/etc… is used to calculate SR.

I never lost more than 26 or 27. But I only lose that much if the match is really short and my stats are reaaaaally bad. And that happens almost never.
Please, for the sake of the team, change. You will lose SR when the game is lost. No matter how well you perfomed, you will lose SR.
Try to win. I don’t have problems with one-tricks. If you can only play one hero on your elo, play that hero. But don’t be that guy that refuses to switch because of SR.

I need to stress out: you will gain bonus SR (or not loose bonus SR) if you play better, than ALL OTHER PLAYERS of your rank with that hero. It means, you have to play with that hero at least one rank above your current, which is not the case in most cases.
So, switch, unless you are absolutely sure you can outplay everyone else on your rank.

2 Likes

Not exactly right.

If your swapping compromises the amount of ults you get in a game, then that will negatively affect your stats and make you lose more/gain less SR points.

But whole game vs half game makes absolutely no difference. The PBSR system is calculated using “per 10 minute” stats. Otherwise you would get shafted every time you steamrolled the enemy team in 2 minutes.

2 Likes

Correct, in order to swap properly and not get punished much you pretty much have to swap right after getting value out of your ult… and also not die in the process.

Being on a per 10min avg is better then it was when it was on per match basis (at least we are assuming that changed when they added the per 10min stat)… but it still forces you to swap after a death and die immediately after you use your ult in order to for your minutes not to rack up on the hero, deluting your stats.

You also have to stay on a hero long enough to get an ult and use it. Otherwise you get heavily penalized because it appears to weigh ult stats very strongly in the MMR