Frustrated Parent - Overwatch 2

I 100% agree with you. They took OW1 from me and because I have metroPCS I can’t play OW2…dude. Why would they ever choose a persons phone as a mandatory way of logging in? Blizzard you’ve ruined my faith in you. I feel you don’t care about us. Take the phone thing away…or at the very least. Give me back OW1…now I can’t play either.

1 Like

Agreed, I personally love it and couldn’t care less about the people that don’t. I am hardcore competitive gamer, I know I won’t get to OWL or anything, but I want to keep the competitive integrity of this game instead of having throwers or smurfs every other game due to it being F2P.

This is personally the best system I have seen to prevent smurfing because an account is easily bought, a new phone and number with an active monthly plan isn’t. More games should do this.

I love the fact that you need a phone number to play now but it should only be if you want to play comp. If you want to play QP or casual game modes, then it shouldn’t be required. This would solve the problem of smurfing or throwing comp games but also allow people to play casually in case they don’t have a phone.

This has been disproven a $1 disposable number is obtainable. TERRIBLE for legit players cuz it’s unreliable for long term use. But GREAT for smurfs/cheats/etc.

…what you’re leaving out of that definition is the payment is given directly to the facilitator of the game:wink:

P2P is something like EA Play where you need to pay to use their service to access their games… :wink: OW1 was another example of P2P where you paid a ‘box price’ for a license to access the OW1 servers… :wink:

A company asking people to provide phone verification is simply not the same thing… :wink:

For those that don’t know

SMS Protect

We designed Overwatch 2 to be a live service, which enables us to be responsive to a variety of player feedback. We have made the decision to remove phone number requirements for a majority of existing Overwatch players. Any Overwatch player with a connected Battle.net account, which includes all players who have played since June 9, 2021, will not have to provide a phone number to play. We are working to make this change and expect it to go live on Friday, October 7. We will update players once it is in effect.

We remain committed to combating disruptive behavior in Overwatch 2—accounts that were not connected to Battle.net as well as new accounts will still have to meet SMS Protect requirements, which helps to ensure we’re protecting our community against cheating. If a player is caught engaging in disruptive behavior, their account may be banned whether they have a new account or not.

As a team, we will keep listening to ongoing feedback and will make further adjustments in this area if it is required.

Full details on this and what they’re doing to fix the issues can be found here.

That was literarily the definition off the internet, so no it does not need to be given to the facilitator of the game.

Also Blizzard has decided to change the understood definition of sequel, since all Overwatch 2 is is a glorified update. So I feel it’s fair to tweak the definition of Pay-to-Play (even though I probably don’t have to since no definition I found said it needed to be payed to the facilitator).

In the end you need to pay money to get into the game. Whether you think it is F2P or not doesn’t matter, in the end people are paying money to get into a game that is “F2P”. I guess the better way to say it is that it’s a F2P game locked within a P2P barrier. It doesn’t matter if you want to call it F2P, there is a barrier to entry that is paid.

Clearly we ain’t going to reach an understanding so I think I’m done responding to you. All the arguments you have been using are literarily because you don’t have to pay Blizzard to play we can ignore that the barrier of entry into Overwatch 2 is paid. So have a nice night and I guess enjoy playing your F2P experience that you pay $10 a month to be able to access.

Needing a tennis racquet doesn’t make tennis ‘Pay 2 Play’ because you can borrow one from a friend.

Entering a tennis tournament is ‘Pay 2 Play’ because you need to pay an entry fee to the tournament organizer to play. You can borrow the money from a friend, sure, but each entrant needs to pay to play.

Blizzard is not charging you to play OW2. You can borrow a sim/phone number from a friend. OW2 is not Pay to Play… :wink:

It’s literally the definition off of the internet? Well why didn’t you say so! OW2 pay 2 play. What an unnecessary argument.

I already had to argue with the other guy, so if you are going to literarily repeat his silly counter argument then don’t. Try to think critically and come up with your own argument.

Here is my final statement on the matter since you clearly didn’t decide to read it:

1 Like

Your argument is self defeating unless you want to call every game on the market P2P since there is some sort of payment barrier to play them, and at that point you’re arguing a point nobody cares about.

I’m not arguing with you. There’s no argument to be had about this topic. Either we’re being ridiculous or we’re not.

Tu connais le jeu ? On dira pas mdr

It’s this one. I would bet a whole month’s paycheck that if it was one of their carriers, they would pissed about this change, but it doesn’t so they don’t care.

News is, they changed it.

SO you can come and go as you please. Now you just have to wait for the long line to get in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sir, one you are disagreeing with I am saying, that is an argument. Just because you don’t like or agree with what I am saying does not change that fact. Maybe instead of getting on to me about Dictionary definitions you should actually read the Dictionary.

Two in a way every game could be considered P2P, but at that point there isn’t really P2P because there isn’t F2P. But that is silly, do you know why? Because you kind of need the hardware to actually run a game. You do not need a phone to run your PC or Console game. It is not required hardware. Just like I told the other guy, a chair doesn’t count because you don’t need a chair to access your video game. You did, and still do depending on when you bought the game, need a phone number to play the game.

With that logic Overwatch 2 is actually a F2P flipping Mobile game. So how about this, I’ll say it’s a F2P game with a giant P2P barrier sitting in front of it. Much like an open road with a toll booth in front of it though, I don’t think you are getting to the free/open part unless you pay.

Sir, madam or other, one you are disagreeing with what I am saying. That is what an argument is, two people disagreeing. Just because you don’t agree with me or what I am saying doesn’t change that fact. So maybe instead of getting on to me about looking up Dictionary definitions, you actually read a Dictionary.

Two, all games in a way are P2P. But there is an understanding that P2P does not include hardware that is needed to run the game. You can’t play without some type of gaming system. Chairs (like the other guy try to use against me) and phones are not needed to run PC and Console games. Therefore by forcing people to not only have phone (easy since most do), but also have a post-paid phone plan (which a lot of people don’t) they are adding a paid barrier. That is the easiest way to distinguish between P2P and F2P.

If you use your logic:

We should call Overwatch 2 a Mobile game.

So how about this, I won’t call Overwatch 2 a P2P game, it’s just a F2P game with an external P2P barrier. Much like an open road with a toll barrier though, I don’t think you are getting to the free/open part without paying.

1 Like

you are aware of all the satanic symbolism within this game? you let your young sons play this. go look at all the sprays just for starters!

On the 7th it’ll be changed. If it isn’t delayed. Also this only applies to legacy accounts. So I’m good but any new players still won’t be able to use cricket/metro. I just hope this is a short term solution and more are planned but this is blizzard.

1 Like

:man_shrugging:t6: The oddity of my youth is that while my folks let me play Diablo 1/2 , Soul Reaver Legacy of Kain, Devil May Cry, Doom and other stuff. I could not play Grand Theft Auto . They thought it was too much like real crime :police_car::man_police_officer:t3:that youth get involved in. But fantasy daemon slaughter? THAT was fine.

By contrast though, my friends could not play my games or Yu-Gi-Oh. Because…they were all too ‘Satanic’ for Karen moms.

:fire::hole::fire:
:meat_on_bone::smiling_imp::video_game:
"Aaah, fresh meat!’

2 Likes

The fix for this is simple.

All players who wish to play the competitive game mode should have to have a phone number attached. Nobody is smurfing in quickplay.

1 Like