From Zero Hour to Hero: Inside Echo’s Audio

From Zero Hour to Hero: Inside Echo’s Audio

Fighter jet. Blue. Easy-listening music. For most, seeing these listed side-by-side might prompt an eyebrow raise or a second glance. But for Geoff Garnett, senior sound designer on Overwatch? These concepts comprise the 750+ voice line-strong audio core of the game’s newest hero, Echo.

View Full Article

50 Likes

cool post Blizzard Entertainment, thanks for sharing.

5 Likes

Hey there is a bug on Ow in Korean that is when Reinhart charges it sounds Echo’s line when she charges and not Reindhart’s actual voice, please fix it

Ohhhh I’m excited to read when I’m not pretending to work in insurance.

Thanks big daddy Jeff.

my offer to work at blizzard as a professional Dev babysitter stands

3 Likes

Thank you Blizzard, very cool!

Fr small articles like this are nice! It’s a shame some of the comments aren’t very appreciative

29 Likes

I’ll go complete opposite and say I’m ALWAYS interested in the development aspect of things

MORE OF THIS PLEASE

54 Likes

Same. The comments in this thread are just tragic.

18 Likes

Good for you.

However, the dying competitive side of the game that still has the majority of the players of this game doesn’t get much help from that.

5 Likes

Are you going to nerf her any time? Maybe fix her bugs?

1 Like

I like a lot the sound design of overwatch, compared to many other games, it’s the best.

2 Likes

I really don’t think writing a short article about the development of Echo and then getting a bot to post it is affecting the rate of fixes.

24 Likes

Blizzard trying really hard to not look like the house is burning down around them.

3 Likes

This is really cool, the sound design is really well done in Overwatch and it’s interesting to see “behind-the-scenes” of how the designer’s guided their work. Echo has a unique soundscape with an emotion and personality that definitely suits her character.

“I always use McCree as an example, where you always know where he is because you hear spurs”

I wish this was true in the game, but ATM footsteps for many heroes are unhearable, especially McCree’s. For whatever reason Widowmaker’s stiletto’s are crazy loud. Been this way for awhile.

4 Likes

And neither will a completely unrelated reply made out of anger to a benign thread that clearly wasn’t intended for gameplay feedback

24 Likes

Devs like to boast that they love reading feedback, so why not serve it to them.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

do it in a thread that relates or make one, not doing an off topic reply in a post made by a bot

10 Likes

I have made plenty of those already. Desperate times lead to desperate measures I guess. Competitive is dying and Blizzard lets it just happen, I used to be passionate about the game and I used to grind it a lot, but Blizzard doesn’t care, they just milk the OWL money.

It’s sad.

3 Likes

While the Overwatch team was excited about the idea, it meant a formidable task lay before Jeannie Bolet, Echo’s voice actress, who was responsible for nearly double the amount of voice lines spoken by Overwatch’s other heroes.

I can only imagine. Having to mimic so many heroes sounds exhausting. She did a really good job.

14 Likes

Yes, you can really tell how little they care by the new events and balance changes we get, more quality of life additions like new call outs, an entire new game, the recent new hero and mini-events

2 Likes

I am so confused as to why the first two posters readily inform people they don’t care. If you don’t care, why are you here and why’d you get here so quickly?

As for the actual post itself, Echo’s sound design is very interesting and I think the right call was made for both Echo and the copied character to say their lines. It doesn’t happen for Roadhog (Simply because of how his Ult is) and there’s a considerable lack of oomph behind it.

Do wish those approaching sounds they talked about were a little louder. It can be hard to discern when or from where Echo’s approaching until she’s right on top of you. All her abilities have prefect audio but her glide and movements… not so much.

Still, it’s interesting to read these Dev insight things.

2 Likes