From now on your opinions dont matter in the forums

That is very differnt, they are trying to predict the outcome of an election

The complaints on this forum are just noise from people that are upset over a video game.

Its a lot harder to determine what is actually right or wrong from this kind of noise on the forums.

It’s called sampling, but let’s set that aside. I just wish you people could explain to me - real slow like - why child-influencers, child-content creators, and child-pro-players are less than a minority than forum users. It’s crazy. You care more about a vanishingly small minority of players than the hundreds of people who participate in the forums everyday.

1 Like

sampling what though?

Complaints on a forum do not mean they are actually right or know whats best for the game overall

good game design is harder to poll than an election and people posting here do not necessarily know what they are talking about when they post

I’ll answer your question if you answer mine. Deal? You neatly sidestepped my question and demanded I answer yours. Let’s have a bit of fair play, shall we?

To answer your question, you would be sampling one parameter of customer satisfaction vs. dissatisfaction. Let’s assume I am a gaming researcher and I want to study the decline of the Overwatch players from 2018 - 2022. One way to do this would be to examine the number of posts that had negative sentiment and compare it to positive sentiment. You can even take it a step further by examining forum sentiment from 2016 - 2018 or narrowing it down to specific heroes or gaming styles. Ostensibly, this data would be useful because it is quantifiable and you can easily input it into SPSS. This data, along with other parameters, may have provided Blizzard with an understanding of what their players wanted.

Now, I answered your question. You may not like my answer, but I’ve at least answered it. Can you answer my question, please? Explain to me - as if I were a special needs child - why Blizzard should discount the feedback of forum users because they are a “minority” of the player base, but, at the same time, listen nearly exclusively to a vanishingly smaller minority: child-influencers, child-content creators, and child-pro-players.

Thanks.

2 Likes

I was never talking about streamers in this thread for one thing. Who said their feedback was important to begin with? I never did

The feedback that matters most is data from the game and that is what they go by the most.

They said this in the analytics thread a few weeks ago. people say they dont like Cass for example, data doesnt support the notion that he is op, so they give him minor buffs

Understood. I thought you were defending this post by AndyB. My apologies.

Yup. Pro gamers and popular streamers is all they care about.
They do not listen to the player base much.

1 Like

The devs seeing the forums as a joke isnt news to me. Jeff when he was still here cared for like the first 2 years at most, then we got radio silence. Posting here is a waste of time.

2 Likes

You mean the specific content creators you choose to promote with this, and not the rest who are left out?

2 Likes

90% Ana mains

10% Mercy mains

You know the thing is serious when an actual content creator comes by to disapprove of the move…

This is comparative to the level of not thinking about what you say as asking “why the winnie the pooh hasn’t stepped down.”

Is this really a community manager? Who tells their customers what they say doesn’t matter the same day they are looking for feedback for a beta? Its like he wants to be fired.

Had to edit this to a nicer version…

1 Like

Forums are only a small portion of the community… but they are still 20x larger than the people at OWL. And yet it seems like their opinion matters more.

They can’t say the forums are “biased” and then cave to the feedback of the most biased group. Professional overwatch players play for 15+ hour a day, they have a special “bias” that 99.99% of people don’t share.

3 Likes

True….but A) any competitive game should be balanced around the top (which doesn’t mean OWL exclusively - and they’ve said as much on the subject)

And B) the league does provide for them a closed environment with a relative consensus of opinions around which they can form a good picture of the game at a moment in time…,it’s a LOT easier to work with that than trying to balance around the hodge podge that is the general player base

Like If there was a gold league or something it would be a lot easier to balance around that as well

I understand you must be busy, but do you think the community care about lip service at this point?

OW devs have straight up LIED multiple times to use. (clearly)

They have broken their own statements multiple times.

Do you not get it? Why even trust you or their words?

“you guys as valuable in your own way” might as well just say “shut up we dont care we make game not you”

and they dont care.
thats the key point being downplayed.

Devs do not care about the normal player’s view.

AVB has shown a more and more greedy corporate approach to their games.
Diablo Immortal is solid proof of that.
OW2’s design change is proof of that.

becasue it benefits the company, screws the player, and lets the players pay advertising fees instead of Blizzard.

Business 101: make $ w/o spending $.

However that only works so long. OW is a shell of its glory days. Honestly doubt even F2P will help once FOTM wears off as there are much better balanced, updated, and free games in the fps genre. Halo, CoD, Valorant, etc.

Once you scorn a players trust in you its nearly impossible to get them back.

“specific comminity members & creators alike”
aka the people who benefit from these type of events.

what creator would ever say “ya no i dont think events that lock cosmetics (even if they look bad for paid skin) behind paying us & twitch $ is a good idea” ?
Literally nobody.

As a company to make $ you guys should know this.

Words are useless with Blizzard anymore. They long ago lost their trust in them.
Actions are useless with Blizzard as they keep becoming more EA style of $ over content.

Blizzard will not survive long term when they keep proving they do not care about quality content or the userbase (excluding those who make them profit)

4 Likes

This might be a bit cruel to say, but the people on these forums are mentally unhinged lol not everyone of course, but enough that I can’t say in confidence that even 10% of this forum is worth listening to. That said, I mean those who actually post in it. Most people I think just read tbh and don’t post at all (smart choice).

The majority of threads I see, are poorly articulated, overly emotional/reactionist takes on whatever upset them that day, troll threads, and the occasional anti-blizzard thread, usually somehow related to China. Really, this forum amounts to nothing more but subjective garbage from people who have a very unhealthy relationship with this game, and probably weren’t doing well on a personal level.

Never, should they address these forums, or interact with it beyond posting updates.

I honestly fear that this is more like scouting how much money you can take from core players before they have enough.
While obviously the forums don’t represent the majority of the audience I’d say it represents a lot of the core audience which is deeper invested in the game compared to casual players. And yes a lot of the takes in the forums regarding balance is wrong as well, since there are all ranks present in the forums.

But at least to me it feels like scouting how to max the monetization of the game similar like Diablo Immortal did it.
The game isn’t even out yet and we have a $40 pack and a $15 skin. If this event is still reaching good numbers the next skin will be $20 I guess?

We have quite a few similarities to Diablo Immortal now with Battle Passes (Freemium/Premium path), Free to Play base game to lure more players in, new in game currency (which is normally used in games to disconnect the player from the actual worth of it) and probably much more to come which we don’t even know yet.
Hell I can even imagine pay to win for PvE mode by now based on Diablo Immortal.

As for me I’ll probably just throw money on one of the smaller streamers and never open their stream again which feels wasted but none of my regularly watched streams are on the list (lhcloudy, slavshock, chazm, harbleu).
They streamed your game for all those years and now you’re just throwing those under the bus and prefer promoting streamers which make millions monthly and advertise underage crypto gambling sites (where probably most of the sub money is going to). Sure I can understand that they have an enormous reach, but they have talked so bad about the game so many times already. They’ll probably play the game for exactly 1 day like in the last beta and then never touch the game again tbh.

I really don’t think this event is doing any good for the reputation of Overwatch

Sure, as we can see, the game is doing pretty well since blizzard is listening to the community, wait no they don’t and it’s barely breathing

2 Likes

This forum isn’t the community though, not really. The vast, overwhelming majority of the player-base are not participants here. If they listened to these forums, their designs and changes would be outright schizophrenic.

People come here, by enlarge, to complain, and often complain with blatant bias, poor understanding of the game’s intended design, and even a contempt for that very design. A lot of people should’ve done their research before buying the game, but didn’t, and want the game to change for their specific play-style, or the way they want to approach the game, without the consequences of ignoring its basics. These people should’ve been banned for spam years ago.

1 Like

okay but was the negative reaction from everyone else anticipated too? cuz i see backlash on reddit, youtube forums AND discord

its not JUST the forums, thats the issue

1 Like