Fresh account Placement

Hey Guys,

just tried to do a little test and i must say , i guess i kinda understood the calculation behind the Placement match for a fresh account, so i finished mine with 8 win 2 loss , and that is 1.1.1.0.1.1.1.0.1.1 and got 3131, went in youtube and compared it to other people’s placement and i got the following :

1.1.1.1.0.1.0.0.1.1 with 2873
1.0.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.0 with 3175
1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.0.1 With 3456
1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1 with 3547

So considering the win streak on the last two they got their SR boosted a bit, so i can clearly see a trend here, 10 games with 260 SR each win with a 500SR base which i guess is the low cap ( correct me if i am wrong )
so if we apply the theory :
7 wins @ 300SR = 2100(+500Base) + 3 Loss @ 91SR(final rank Minus the 7wins divided by 3 losses) = 2873

8 wins@ 300SR = 2400(+500Base)+2 Loss @ 137.5SR(final rank Minus the 8wins divided by 2 losses) + 7 winstreak boost = 3175

9 wins @300SR=2700(+500Base)+ 1 loss @ 256SR ( final rank Minus the 9wins at a clean 8 win streak boost = 3456

10 ace resulted in 3547 win streak included .

so my initial 300 per Game mayeb is not accurate but someone with good analytic can get the correct ratio maybe around 275 SR? anyways i guess my point is the placement are based this theory or at least same approach, mayeb they take Quick play MMR just for the first placement ? well this is my experiment .

what do you guys think ? feel free to comment or discuss :slight_smile:

8/10 with a 5 game winstreak, 2050. :thinking:. They should reset SR every season instead of just giving you a random number close to last season’s no matter how well you did.

is this your first season ?

Nah, hence the number close to last season’s, sorry im a little salty about it.

On a more relevant note, I placed my alt account with a 7/10 win with 1.1.0.1.1.0.1.0.1.1 and got 2650, so that’s pretty close to your numbers.

1 Like

indeed it is close, so i am not far off , someone need to crack this :slight_smile:

It’s calculated based on your MMR. If I went 10-0 in placements on a new account, I wouldn’t be 3547, because my MMR would start lower than the person who you used as an example. The only way to have a controlled experiment would be to compare brand new accounts with the exact same MMR when they enter their first placement match. Since MMR is hidden, you can’t do that.

1 Like

but all this are new accounts, hidden MMR is drawn from QP maybe , also one guy had 3602 after 10 wins , maybe he performed good in every game that gave him that SR advantage

Correct. If someone in OWL starts a new account and places for the first time, even if they go 0-10 in placements but play well, they’ll still be above 3000. If I start a new account and go 0-10, I’d be silver because my MMR would be lower the entire time.

Your 25 Qp levels give you an MMR score. Your placement matches then adjust that by a few hundred SR.

The beauty of this system is that loads of bronze tier players get placed gold and crash down…

No QP doesn’t matter at all. Everyone starts their first placement match at around ~2400 no matter what you do in QP, but yeah a lot of people get placed higher than they belong at if they get lucky.

1 Like

Dunno. I watched the Kabaji flex to Gm challenge and I assumed that his Anubis match (Placement 2) was with silvers due to the constant tricking, salty leavers and utter lack of any team work. At plat on PS4 it’s moved to team fights, ult combos, etc.

Maybe plat on PC not that great after all?

His 2nd game was probably around low plat and yea you are right plat isn’t great at all lol

2 Likes

+1 for actually having data and attempting to form a model. Your model is pretty rough though. Why are you assigning gains of SR to losses? That’s very odd.

You seem to be almost trying to a linear fit. If that is done, you get Placement SR = 230.3*wins+1305.2. It actually fits pretty well. Unfortunately, more data starts to break the fit.

I have these records (all new accounts):
0-0-0-1-1-1-1-0-0-0: 2210 My alt
1-1-0-0-1-1-1-1-0.5-0 2594 Kabaji alt (Rainbow)
1-1-1-1-1-0-0-1-1-0 3017 Kabaji alt (PlatChat)
0-1-1-1-1-0-0-0-1-1: 2834 Custa alt (Dildomum)
10-0: 3550 DongQuixote alt
7-1-2: 3267 DongQuixote alt
6-4: 3003 DongQuixote alt
7-3: 2780 DongQuixote alt
6-4: 2600 DongQuixote alt
6-4: 2300 DongQuixote alt

Note especially games there are four different, very different results, with 6 wins. I don’t think win streaks matter, as they no longer matter after placements.

However, game order does matter. Earlier games are worth more. Performance also likely matters, especially for top players. The first game is always around 2350 (quick play doesn’t matter). See Initial Competitive Skill Rating, Decrypted for more.

1 Like

thanks for the input, i had absolutely no preparation, was a reaction poste to my Placement after comparing to 4 videos and i saw a trend there, your poste is very well made , WD

1 Like

Kaawumba is the authority on placement matches, there really isn’t any point listening to anyone else.

(yes I am serious) his (her?) numbers have lined up with my experience.

2 Likes

als oforgot to mention,i was monitoring who i am matched with during my QP time, and i can see clearly i got bumped from low silver to Gold after level 6, where i was single handed carrying the game as doomfist with 50+ elims almost every game. then the scale landed at mid Gold throughout the games, and my QP win rate started to drop and i can see that my opponent are between mid Gold and low Plat, then after starting my Placement , first game was with high gold and low plat, by the 9th placement matches i started seeing Low diamond and high Plats, so that is an indication that the SR scale each game and not wait to reveal at the end of placement

1 Like