Freeze when opening options menu

Hey! I have been looking for other posts on this issue but have found none. Whenever I click on the options tab my game freezes for about 5-10 seconds. When in windowed mode you can see that the application says “not responding” in this time. Then the game finally opens options. I have tried uninstalling the game and battlenet in addition to repairing files. Does anyone have a clue to why this is happening?

3 Likes

my friend has this same issue. will completely freeze his game for half a minute sometimes upon opening it.

2 Likes

Ok. Hope we can both find a solution. It’s quite annoying to not be able to quickly switch settings mid-game.

1 Like

Ive been dealing with this for multiple weeks and a few others have had this issue when I open up task manager for ow theres another application called CrashMailer_64.exe and idk if thats the bug issue for the options button but its the only bug I have on this game.

1 Like

Everything else is fine for me too. Just this bug. I do see that application in my task manager though.

I’m having this issue as well. Whenever I click to enter the “Options” menu, the game freezes for a solid 15 seconds, but it does eventually open the menu and let me use it.

My friends also noticed that I get “disconnected” whenever I try to enter the options menu while in a match. Once I close the menu, the game goes through a loading screen as if I was connecting back, before letting me play again. However, while in the options menu (once it unfreezes), I am able to see and hear the game going on through the semi-transparent background, so I don’t think I actually get fully disconnected.

• Issue has persisted for several months now since 2021, through multiple driver updates and a reinstall.
  • The repair tool also does not find anything wrong with the game files. I do not have a [third party] antivirus, nor an overlay running with the game.
  • The game is installed on an SSD, and yes I did run the windows disk and file system checking tools and they show absolutely nothing wrong with the drive.
  • There also doesn’t seem to be anything relevant in the Event Viewer, no errors relating to the game.
  • I also have an Intel Skylake CPU and Nvidia GPU, so this can’t be the AMD CPU bug either.
3 Likes

I am starting to see that the issue is more prevalent than I thought. I also have an Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU. The bug is not present on my laptop with an AMD CPU and NVIDIA GPU Not sure if in a patch they made a capability bug for this. Hopefully a dev or mod sees this post so as to help us fix it.

I’ve had this issue since 2021 Oct-ish I think, I first thought this was a one time thing and it won’t happen and I rarely change my settings.

However I noticed it happening again and again which frustrates me.

I have an intel i7 CPU, AND a 2080 Super GPU,

I searched for months and no one had the same issue , which made me think this’s probably a new bug and it’ll be resolved. This’s the FIRST POST I CAN SEE so far, and they updated the game and it’s still not fixed and it’s abit annoying.

I really hope this bug is resolved soon.

1 Like

I also have this issue. Not exactly sure, but I think this appeared after I upgraded my GPU from 1080 to 3090.

1 Like

Update: I was able to resolve this issue after contacting support and going through some troubleshooting steps with them.

For me it was caused by Nahimic. I am 100% sure of this, because I tested by reinstalling the software, and the issue reappeared. After uninstalling it, the freeze didn’t disappear entirely but the wait time reduced to maybe 5 sec at most and it no longer sent a “Not working” status to Windows. I’m also no longer getting the loading screen afterwards, so I consider the issue resolved.

Other suggestions were to disable OneDrive, Hyper-V, and VirtualBox, but those did not make a difference for me. Nahimic is an MSI-exclusive software, so if you have an MSI-brand motherboard or laptop, you can look into this as a solution.

1 Like

I hope it gets fixed aswell

For anyone else having this issue, I found that the culprit for me was Wave Link, Elgato’s software for their Wave XLR interface.

Disabling it fixed this for me, but obviously this means I can’t use that monitoring and routing solution anymore so I’m just going to have to live with the delay.

My assumption is opening the settings is loading up all of your computer’s input and output devices, and when you have a long list (like Wave Link’s 7ish outputs) it takes time for the Overwatch client to register them.

Btw, this is also prevalent in the OW2 PVP Beta build as well.

2 Likes

Hey man!

I have had the same issue for more than a month and I have been contacting supports since then.

The good news is, after our communication with the Tech team and forums’ discussion,
the Tech team has already located the problem here, this is what they responded to me after I submitted some audio devices related clues.

Khaleyd

Gamemaster Khaleyd here, we were in contact before about this situation. Thank you very much for getting in touch and letting us know about your findings - our QA/Dev team was already looking at a related angle for where this delay might be coming from, and this additional data seems to confirm some of our internal findings. We’ll be sure to include this in our review process!

Kind regards, and thank you again,

Thomas “Khaleyd” W.

Gamemaster Tech Team,

Blizzard Entertainment

Looks promising it will be fixed soon!

I use the software aswell. This could be the culprit!

crashmailer has been there for years now when you launch OW

I have this same issue as well. It may be wave link, will try later this afternoon – but seems like an options screen shouldn’t get hung up on software like that, since it’s fairly common to see custom audio driver software in general on windows