Free To Play... What A Joke

I appear to have made the egregious error of owning a phone from Cricket. I bought the phone for about $90 and pay a monthly bill of about $55 for unlimited talk/text/etc… Now it looks like I’m going to have to have spend a lot more money than if I could just outright buy it like I did with OW1.

If I’m correct I’m going to have to pay the cancellation fees to terminate my contract with Cricket. Then I will have to find a new and acceptable provider that adheres to Blizzard’s standards. Buy phone from said accepted service provider and change my number. All the while hoping that the new number wasn’t previously belonging to someone who was on a pre-paid plan.

Now I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it, but it’s not going to be fun to pay 3-5x the price of what OW1 was for a supposedly FTP game. Could have used a longer notice in advance, Blizzard. Thanks.

11 Likes

There’s a app you can download that’s like 4- 5$ a month for a accessible phone number that works for OW2.

I forgot the name of it, but its in one of these threads.

Talkatone I believe. There are some stipulations I will edit with that info.

3 Likes

If your current phone accepts a sim card, you don’t have to buy a new phone. Providers just want you to in order to lock you into a contract.

My current contract is from 2010. My 2 years are long done. I just buy the phones myself. It’s a crummy one time cost but it’s better than locking into a new contract.

All you have to do is drop in the sim card. It’s super easy.

Talkatone. I’ve seen it before, but it’s temporary and I’d rather not lose out on the 2,000+ hours I have put into this account just to be locked out of it - if that were to happen. Kind of seems like I have to choose between the lesser of two asinine choices. No way to “win” for me.

1 Like

I mean, i don’t know where you live-- or your economic stance in the world right now, but honestly, I’d give Talkatone a chance… and then… if it doesn’t seem to benefit you in anyway, i’d honestly switch to a different phone plan.

(but that’s just me… so lol)

1 Like

Not affected by this, but blizz needs to address this and whitelist these providers, it’s definitely the worst thing about this game. At least let people play unranked modes while they figure things out

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. F2P games are never free, you always pay. You can pay in cash or in suffering, but you always pay.

What I hadn’t considered is requiring additional purchases outside of the game.

Wouldn’t I need to change numbers because the current one is pre-paid? I thought the sim card was fixed to a number. I’m a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to this stuff.

Imagine having to change your personal life stuff just for a video game (a crappy one at that).

I’m fine financially as I stated in the original post, and will most likely just change providers begrudgingly. Funnily enough, I thought about creating an alternative or Smurf account or whatever people call it and use Talkatone as you had mentioned. It’s hilariously ironic that Blizzard put this measure into place to prevent the very thing I’m thinking about doing.

2 Likes

i think t-mobile will pay your fees but it surprises me cricket would still be contract when alot of carriers are doing away with contracts

Your provider would have to give you a new SIM card, which you could put into your old phone. Kind of the opposite of what I do.

You just have to insist on no contract.

I’m in the same boat and i love how the devs refuse to acknowledged or speak on this at all.

Getting loud & explicit in the customer support chats because I literally don’t have a game to lose. It’s already gone. I have Cricket so f@#$ me I guess

Buy old samsung s4, like $30, buy Verizon or AT&T plan, you dont need unlimited data or anything special, its like $15 to $25 month, that what i pay for a phone thats bought out