Frame Drops when booting OW up

So, this has been a problem for about 3-4 weeks. Started experiencing this when the Halloween update was launched and have been stumped as to why it happens. For the first like 15 minutes of opening Overwatch, if I go into the Training Arena or just quickly go through the Hero Gallery, I get frame drops. My FPS will dip to 0 for maybe half a second and then regain back up.

What I’ve Done:

• Repaired the game
  • Completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game
  • Test with High and Low graphical settings
    1- This specific test I found that it gets longer FPS drops when on higher settings
  • Watched my GPU and CPU temps during these FPS drops
    1- Both were a stable 45-50C for my GPU and 30-35C for my CPU

So, from my findings, I have a possible clue as to why this is happening. It seems to me they may have changed how models and assets are loaded in. I say this because when I do end up waiting those 10-15 minutes for the frame drops to end, the game never drops FPS ever until I restart the game entirely. At first I believed it was a personal problem with my PC, like my SSD being weird or something, but then my friend with a much better PC than me started having the same thing, so I decided might as well report it here to the forums.

My PC Specs:

NVidia GTX 1660 6GB VRAM GPU
AMD Ryzen 5 2600x CPU
GSKILL 2x8GB 2666MHz RAM
Corsair CX 550W PSU
ASRock B450M AM4 MOBO

Make sure to include your DxDiag.

I’m a bit confused on the part about how to send you the DxDiag

Click here to show/hide DxDiag instructions
  1. Press Windows Key + R, then type DxDiag and press Enter.
  2. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  3. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save.

To add it to your reply here:

1. Open the text file and copy all of the text.
  2. Paste the text in your reply.
  3. Highlight the pasted text and click </> on the post editor.

If your DxDiag does not fit in one message post it on Pastebin.com. Provide the link here like this http://pastebin.com/xxxxx in your reply.

Can’t provide links, forums don’t let me. And the DxDiag is just past the limit of characters so not sure where to go from there

If needed I can just provide the really important parts of the DxDiag since it labels each part

You can give the end of the Pastebin link, I can type Pastebin.com. Or if you use the method I mentioned above, it won’t be a link.

pastebin.com/abcdefg with the ` mark before and after.

https://pastebin.com/PTDWRZxs

Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: 141

There were no errors related to Overwatch in the report, but there was this GPU timeout error (crash/reboot). The other errors are app crashes from Apex5 and VRchat.

I recommend trying the clean install function in GeForce Experience and grabbing the driver from October 29, 2020.

1 Like

Where would I find the “clean install function” in GeForce Experience?

When you go to install the new driver, it asks you.

Okay, had to do some extra steps to reinstall the driver (had to go into device manager and manually uninstall it and reinstall everything NVidia related) and still have been getting FPS Drops, however now that you mention it, it only started since NVidia’s latest driver release. So there is a possibility that my friend ALSO has been lagging due to installing this new driver and that would be the culprit. I did notice that the frame drops stop a lot sooner than before the reinstall so atleast it did help a little bit, thank you for the help!

1 Like