[Razer Synapse] FPS Won't Go Above 64FPS

Ever since I updated my Nvidia driver to 471.96, I can’t get more than 64 FPS in Overwatch in-game, except weirdly when I die, then it goes back up to 140+ FPS. But after I respawn, it’s back to max 64FPS.

I have a 3070Ti and AMD ryzen 5800 with settings on Low. Before the newest Nvidia driver, I was maxxing out FPS to my monitor refresh rate (144Hz).

I have V-sync disabled in-game and in Nvidia settings. I have max frame rate set to 300. I have no idea why this is happening. I even tried to install older versions of Nvidia drivers, but the problem persisted.

I have played other games with the new drivers and they are normal (e.g. COD Cold war, Splitgate).

8 Likes

I have the same issue here. Though it was happening with the Nvidia Driver that came out before the most recent one as well. Only started happening today though.

EDIT: I didn’t read the end of this post, yeah old drivers don’t fix it.

I’m having the same issue. I tried re-installing drivers and the game and neither worked. I am still capped at 64fps no matter what. I also tried resetting Nvidia settings. Vsync is off.

I have RTX2080. I was maxing frame rates out before too. Please help us.

Does reverting the driver help at all?

Remember to use Display Driver Uninstaller to completely clean out your old driver. Then download the previous NVidia driver for your system.

If you do this and it resolves the problem, please let me know as it will help me confirm if this is the issue or not.

Same problem here - thought I was going crazy. Wasted about 3 hours trouble shooting to no avail. I don’t think it’s driver related as it was happening on the old Nvidia drivers, and is still happening on the new one after I updated to see if that would help.

1 Like

Try reverting to the previous one if possible. I am wanting to make sure this is carefully tested to determine if there is some driver incompatibility with Overwatch for some reason.

Tried reverting to the old driver and the issue persists. Can also confirm that dying ingame causes the framerate cap of 64fps to be lifted and it shoots up to 240fps before throttling again after respawning. RTX 3090 and i9 10900K.

So I’m not the only one nice.

I tried the cleaner tool and reinstall of drivers but no change. I noticed the fps increasing after dying too.

I did the Display Driver Uninstaller, installed older nvidia driver. The problem still persists.

Thanks for trying everyone, this helps me sort out possible ideas.

Check NVidia Control Panel

The next thing I would recommend checking is making sure settings in the NVidia control panel are set correctly. To reach your graphics card control panel, go to your Windows desktop (minimize or close all programs), right-click any empty space, and select the graphics card control panel shortcut that appears in the pop-up menu.

3D Settings > Power Management Mode: Here you can specify the power performance of your graphics card. This setting is especially important for laptops. Please note, whenever you play Overwatch on a laptop, make sure to always be plugged into electrical power and not run off the battery. For this setting, manually set to Prefer maximum performance.

Power Management Setting

Adjust Display Size and Position > Refresh Rate: Finally, check this setting to ensure you have the highest possible refresh rate being sent to the monitor.

Refresh Rate Setting

Completely delete your Overwatch Video/Audio settings file

Locate the following file on your computer:

[UserName]/Documents/Overwatch/Settings/Settings_v0.ini

Delete that file entirely. Then relaunch Overwatch, if you see the “Are you with us?” Cinematic start to play then you know you deleted the file successfully. This completely removes all custom settings for Video and Audio and returns them to default.

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t work. I already tried a lot of this stuff with changing nvidia settings, reinstalling the game, changing accounts, or other stuff I can’t quite remember right now. Either way it started happening yesterday (friday) and was not happening on thursday. I don’t remember when I downloaded the newest driver but I would assume I did it after playing overwatch on thursday.

EDIT: I also have looked at my DxDiag and the only errors I have found at the bottom of the .txt file were stuff unrelated to OW.

Actually someone in a different thread (thread I posted) said that they had issue before updating to new drivers.

I understand that, please still follow my instructions if you have time.

Yeah I did, I just responded twice. I tried the other things again, none worked.

I also have this issue. The FPS unlocks (i have a custom limit set at 240FPS) when I am “dead” in game awaiting respawn, but once the respawn takes place and I am back in first person view, the FPS caps back down to 64FPS.

I tried the above NVidia control panel changes and deleting the Video/Audio settings file, and still capped at 64fps in game.

No framerate problems with a Ryzen 5600X, Win10 pro, and a 1080ti on Nvidia driver 456.71 with all settings at default in Nvidia Control Panel.

I have the same problem. I tried all of the above to no avail. Other games are not affected (at least none of the ones I tried).

Was it a problem then you got default settings or something?