FPS/Stuttering with the 5700 XT

I don’t see it on the Supported Video Card list, but it could be out of date.

You may need to open a ticket for an official response on this.

check your CPU usage, this new patch doubled the CPU usage, so your 1700 might not have enough single threaded performance to run ow above 150fps now. I have a brand new 3700x with much better single thread performance, and at 180fps, ow still fully maxed out a few cores, which is kinda ridiculous.

5700xt is a new GPU that just came out 2 weeks ago and it is on par with RTX2070. I think the problem is high CPU usage, not GPU. My CPU usage doubled compare to last patch, which caused some micro stuttering issue, and the last hot fix patch did not fully fixed this issue, it only reduced the stuttering problem.

This is more than a micro-stuttering issue. It’s almost like a latency issue where my character will be in one place then another, but it takes the form of processing lag (network stats are fine). I saw the reports about the CPU but mine never hits 100% on any cores. Also tried setting the game on low and capping the FPS to 60, same thing. Even put my old GTX 980 back in and the issue went away, so it seems specific the new GPU or its drivers. The game could be fine during the setup phase but once I hit any sort of combat it basically halts for a few seconds at a time.

On that note, if your 3700x is maxing out even a single core for a three year old game there might be other problems with your system and/or the game itself since the patch. Overwatch is usually my go-to test bed since it’s generally pretty optimized, and I’ve never seen it max out my CPU on any threads even before I overclocked. I haven’t read every good things about the Zen 2 since launch other than raw benchmark numbers. Kinda sounds like AMD has some issues they need to fix, or Overwatch needs to update compatibility in a way.

I should also note that it’s not limited to high frame rates. Setting the FPS to any level will eventually dip down, so 75 will dip in to the 60s and 50s, 60 dips to 50s and 40s, etc.

1 Like

Same here I play on a Vega 56 + i5 8600k combo and jump between 300-110 fps. It’s ridiculous and there I was thinking about buying a 240hz monitor.

Hmm, you think this might be AMD specific? I haven’t left the Nvidia train in a few years. I would imagine there’s a decent population of players using red GPUs for this game.

If it is a gpu problem then it’s because it’s not being used correctly. Even on 75% renderscale I get the same fps. On my old 1050ti this would get me close to steady 270 fps.

Yup that pretty much confirms my theory. Either the AMD drivers need work (they do anyway) or Blizzard needs to update compatibility with our hardware. Is yours playable though? I seriously can’t get into any combat without my system just, stopping for lack of a better word once I engage somebody. And the weird thing is sometimes the FPS will stay at a constant level but there’s no movement from the game at all for a couple seconds.

It maxed out about 4 cores on my 3700x because I capped my FPS at 200, since it looks a lot smoother. But in older patch it only uses around 50-60% on the highest core.

Zen2 is fine, my 3700x can get above 160fps in 64 players BF5 low setting with a GTX1070 , which is pretty much i7 9700k level performance. The funny part is, even BF5 dont fully load any CPU cores, it uses all 16 thread to around 70%, unlike overwatch, which only using 4 thread, and maxed out those thread at 200fps.

If you switched from Nvidia GPU to AMD GPU, you might wanna use DDU in windows safe mode to fully remove all Nvidia drivers, before installing AMD driver. Hope you can solve it, Im planning on getting an AIB version 5700XT soon.

I ran DDU twice. Once to remove the Nvidia drivers and another to remove the AMD driver so I could reinstall. I’m just amazed that I’m getting 75FPS on ultra in Fallout 4 but I can’t play Overwatch now…

And I could see it maxing out with 200+ FPS. Wish I could even get 60 right now though. I do recommend the 5700 XT overall, it’s nice. I didn’t feel like waiting for the AIBs. The cooler and temps are nowhere near as bad as everyone says in my limited experience with it.

Same here, Recently bought the Asus branded RX 5700 XT. Experiencing horrible stuttering + sudden frame drops in game. Never had this issue with my old gtx 1070 which is nearly half the performance.
It is not a CPU issue I monitored the CPU usage for a couple of days to test what is causing this stuttering. The CPU usage was usually about 40-50% when the stuttering happened. (Water cooled. average of 40-50 degrees.) Never thermal throttled or never peaked near 100% usage.
So I am pretty sure it is not the CPU.

I even went further to solve this issue by installing a Arctic Accelero Xtreme iv
third party cooler. To figure out if the GPU temps were causing the issue.
Nope, even with much lower temperatures the game is still horribly stuttering.

It is probably the new AMD driver issue or the overwatch client itself.
Hope this is fixed soon because this game is currently unplayable with a 400+ dollar card.

Same here… got a gigabyte rx5700xt over the weekend and it’s stuttering more than my 5 year old R9 290…
Also seems to start off at low fps (60) until you’ve been in game for a few mins… then it starts reaching 200-240fps… but still fluctuating a lot… almost like it needs to warm up??

2 Likes

Exactly. Starts with low fps… and stabilizes… and then stutters…

Hi there, I know this topic specifically talks about the 5700XT but also with my Vega64 I experience the exact same behavior, the fps ramps up in the beginning and when for example ults are being used the fps drops. Most notable when Symmetra/Mei/Moira ults are being displayed.

Temps are all well within acceptable temperatures (even with the heatwave in Europe atm) and CPU usage is around 50% (8600K)

The behavior started on a clean Windows 10 install with the 1903 update. I used DDU to try the 19.6.3 (latest driver before 5700(XT) support was added) and the latest 19.7.2, stuttering is there on both drivers. Currently I’m using the latest AMD driver, the 19.7.2.

All other drivers (chipset, ssd, soundcard etc) are on the latest version, as well as the bios.

No idea if it is a AMD driver problem, Windows 1903 problem or Overwatch in general.

And just to be clear: these problems didn’t exist since I bought the card, I’ve been experiencing them for about 4-6 weeks.

Hey gang :wave:

As the RX 5700 series is brand-new, we haven’t updated our articles to reflect it yet. We’re still investigating some issues reported with it, but have found that disabling the Streaming feature in the Battle.net desktop app helps resolve some of them.

If you have disabled Streaming (under Settings in the app) and are still having issues, please describe the issue in more detail and provide a DXDIAG report:

Obtaining System Files

You can include the DXDIAG in a reply to the forum post. Place it between rows of accent marks (`) for formatting:

```
Like this.
```

Opened a Web ticket and tried everything that Blizzard Tech support recommended. Nothing Works.

Here are the followings that did NOT work for me.

1. Disabling Streaming Mode.
  2. Updating Windows.
  3. DDU.
  4. Disabling Aura sync.
  5. Disabling background apps.

Tried many other things too. did not work.
I think it is mainly the poorly optimized AMD drivers since it micro stutters in other titles such as GTA V and Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3.
However, the stutters are definitely insanely worse in Overwatch currently.
I think both parties need some fixes to make.

Just wanted to let you know that i have huge performance issues since summer games.
I don’t have an amd system but i do have an i7 and a 1080 and my card has a lot of trouble to get 144fps on the lowest possible settings, as someone mentioned whatever you pick for your cap, it will always drop under the cap.
I’ve uninstalled drivers and the game more than 10 times, i even updated my w10 from the 2k16 version to 1903 and no change.

1 Like

Haven’t checked notifications, glad I’m not alone here. The Vega having similar or same issues makes it more interesting.

My bet is on AMD’s drivers. If you peruse the forums there are numerous people mentioning the same issues with their cards in multiple games. Here’s what’s been really interesting for me lately…

Call me crazy, but it’s almost like the card/drivers have to adjust for the game you’re playing. The production version of Overwatch was having all the issues I described, until sometime yesterday, it mostly went away. I have no clue why, nothing changed on my end. Then I join PTR, and guess what, more stuttering and massive framedrops, exactly like I described in the OP. I’ve since been playing PTR for about an hour today and it appears gets progressively better overtime, still with some FPS drops.

I have no explanation for this. You’d think the results would be consistent for every play through, but it seems the more I play the game, the better my performance gets. It’s still not stable. I could put my 980 in right now and the issues would go away, but I’d rather not do that :slight_smile:

Also Neocry thanks for saving me the trouble of buying a third party cooler for the time being, lol. I’m holding off on that for now. But to tell the truth my card never goes above 80-82 at max, with WattMan’s auto-undervolt enabled. Even before then it never got hotter than those temperatures.

However to end this long rant, I have received two crashes in the middle of a game, both in production and PTR within the past two days. Not a rendering device error, just a generic crash. So that’s disconcerting.

Edit: Sorry I need to add to this, because I didn’t realize people above were basically saying the same thing about the FPS ramping up. In my case I went straight from production to PTR within the same sitting last night. The production version was sorta fine after a while, but immediately after joining PTR I got the issue again, even though the card was already “warmed up.”