FPS stuttering whenever anything loads

Nothing about my setup changed between when I left for vacation (last week) and today. The FPS stutters whenever anything loads. Specifically, a few frames after the thing appears I’ll get a freeze for maybe 1/4 of a second. It doesn’t sound big, but when people are dropping turrets and changing characters it puts me on tilt after a single game.

It’s also not like regular frame drops. With regular ones the frames disappear but you pick up again seamlessly when it’s over. With this the inputs are totally discarded, so it’s like I’m not even moving my mouse at all while my frames are dropping.

• Win 11 Pro 64 bit
  • 4090 w/ latest drivers
  • 3995wx
  • 256GB DDR4 3200MHz
  • 2TB FireCuda 520 (not my boot drive, but the one OW2 is on)

Edit: Just snapped this sitting in a custom game of Gun Game.

i.imgur.c om/KR68OTu.png

Any idea why OW might be writing 72 MB per second?

2 Likes

The giant stutter whenever someone changes characters or joins the game has been a thing for a couple years now. I have the same problem on my system with a 3700x and nothing I did could stop it from happening. Playing something like mystery heroes is actually unplayable because of this.

Here’s an old post mentioning the same thing: PC: Stuttering when players change heroes

I’m thinking it might be a problem with the game engine and AMD ryzen/threadripper processors.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s easily reproduceable just going into the practice range and changing the training partner. But it also happens to a lesser extent throughout gameplay for other reasons.

It’s weird that this is suddenly happening to me. I’ve had this processor for almost 2 years now and Overwatch has always worked fine.

Across several threads, I noticed most people mentioning this issue have a slightly lower single-thread rating on their CPUs.

I’m at 4GHz playing the game right now.

That’s the CPU clockspeed.

The single-thread rating for your 3995wx CPU 2600. That rating is a bit on the low side, but it’s just a commonality I noticed across posts about this issue.

I built a new PC.

• 13900KF
  • 64GB DDR5 5600MHz
  • 2TB 990 Pro

No more stuttering :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Today I found out this game stutter bug when anyone changes characters only happens while actively playing. Watching the replay does not show these spikes.

i.imgur.c om/vUemf68.png

The left side of this graph is data gathered while I was playing the match. The right side of the graph is watching the replay of the same match from my POV. As you can see those huge 50ms frametime spikes on the left are gone during the replay. You can see the GPU isn’t hitting 100% usage and the temperature is low on both sides. 3700x + 2x8gb of ddr4.

Hopefully Nicole can use this information to figure out what exactly is causing this bug. I really don’t want to drop a stack of cash on a new PC to fix this like Sharksie did.

I’m not a developer, I’m a volunteer.

I recommend posting this in the #bug-report forum, and including what you offered here.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.